Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing in certain light that my touch screen on my 2020 Insight EX has this residue film/smudges on it. I know it's not fingerprint smudges because those easily wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Anyone else notice this on their touchscreens (Insight or other Honda) or have this issue? Any recommendations as to how to clean it?

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Haven't had this issue, but the picture above has the look of heat (or moisture?) in the main screen area... as though the plastic has aged/degraded. The other portions where the buttons would run cooler and wouldn't have this type of exposure.

Have you noticed any heat from your screen when in use? Is your screen regularly exposed to sun/heat when parked? Does the surface have any roughness in these areas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't had this issue, but the picture above has the look of heat (or moisture?) in the main screen area... as though the plastic has aged/degraded. The other portions where the buttons would run cooler and wouldn't have this type of exposure.

Have you noticed any heat from your screen when in use? Is your screen regularly exposed to sun/heat when parked? Does the surface have any roughness in these areas?
I'll have to check for heat but it isn't parked in sun/heat most of the time. The surface is all nice and smooth too. I've only had the car for about two months now and I noticed this soon after I got it so i'm wondering if it is some sort of manufacturing defect.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
The pictures remind me of headlight plastic that yellows from oxidation caused by UV exposure. But even that type of oxidation takes many months/years to occur. But maybe the infotainment screen plastic quality doesn't have 'exterior' type UV protection.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm wondering if someone in the front uses lots of cream or lotion on their hands and is touching the screen a lot. Over the years as an auto body technician, I saw excessive wear on steering wheels. Also, this sounds odd, but I also saw lots of wear on the paint just outside the driver's door when, on warm days, people had their arm resting outside on the paint. This would typically be due to perspiration!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering if someone in the front uses lots of cream or lotion on their hands and is touching the screen a lot. Over the years as an auto body technician, I saw excessive wear on steering wheels. Also, this sounds odd, but I also saw lots of wear on the paint just outside the driver's door when, on warm days, people had their arm resting outside on the paint. This would typically be due to perspiration!
I'm the only one driving the car and have only had it for two months. I don't wear lotion or cream. I think it's definitely something defective with the manufacturing process or leftover residue when the car was made.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I've been noticing in certain light that my touch screen on my 2020 Insight EX has this residue film/smudges on it. I know it's not fingerprint smudges because those easily wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Anyone else notice this on their touchscreens (Insight or other Honda) or have this issue? Any recommendations as to how to clean it?
My Insight has been through Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall and my infotainment screen still looks like new. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer to clean my infotainment screen.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I just use a microfiber towel occasionally. I've never had an issue with screen smudges.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
Here's a pic of my infotainment screen after more than 1 year of usage.

IMG_20200227_153205.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Here's a pic of my infotainment screen after more than 1 year of usage.
Mine looks similar... except that I still have the original factory plastic on the surface. I was so set on keeping that sacrificial plastic layer in place, that we included it as a note in the contract (else literal dealbreaker for entire purchase... what can I say, LOL).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey all, I have the 2019 Touring and for the screen I found somewhere on this forum last year that buying the screen protector for a notebook covers the screen perfectly. I know this because I bought one right away and its worked out perfectly. No problem wiping smudges or prints marks just like a phone screen protector.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Hey all, I have the 2019 Touring and for the screen I found somewhere on this forum last year that buying the screen protector for a notebook covers the screen perfectly. I know this because I bought one right away and its worked out perfectly. No problem wiping smudges or prints marks just like a phone screen protector.
Good to hear it's holding up! I still have the original factory plastic on it; it has some scratches, but no bubbles and is holding up so I've still been researching a permanent solution. The thread with info on the screen protector is here - Infotainment screen protector?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts