Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently a viewer left a comment under one of my videos saying that he found the ex to be quieter on the road than the touring. Has anyone driven both of these models? And has anyone seen any difference in road noise? I know the touring has larger wheels but I also know it uses different tires any opinions on this?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Tires make a huge difference in road noise. Shorter sidewall probably doesn't help either, but honestly probably has much less of an impact. If I ever get the chance to ride in a touring, I'll let you know my thoughts. I don't have a decibel meter anymore unfortunately, so it'd be completely opinion based.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There's probably an APP for that!
There will be with the new Apple Watch. Lol. It's one of the technologies they talked about at WWDC. Granted it's supposed to help us avoid situations that could damage our ears, I doubt it'd have any real accuracy though.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
recently a viewer left a comment under one of my videos saying that he found the ex to be quieter on the road than the touring. Has anyone driven both of these models? And has anyone seen any difference in road noise? I know the touring has larger wheels but I also know it uses different tires any opinions on this?

Based on Tirerack results, Michelin (Insight EX) was given a higher rating for comfort compared to the Continental (Insight Touring).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had Continental PureContact ECO tires on my previous ride. I could not wait to get them off my car. The first moment I drove on the highway after getting them installed I noticed a huge difference in road noise from them. The gas mileage did not go up one bit from the previous non low rolling resistance tires I had. Which was the main reason I bought them. I would not recommend Continental tires to anyone.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had Continental PureContact ECO tires on my previous ride. I could not wait to get them off my car. The first moment I drove on the highway after getting them installed I noticed a huge difference in road noise from them. The gas mileage did not go up one bit from the previous non low rolling resistance tires I had. Which was the main reason I bought them. I would not recommend Continental tires to anyone.
Yeah looks like they are noisy and my car is kind of loud. The michelins energy savers are quieter on my Ford, but impossible in snow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I paid close attention to highway noise on our test drives and did not notice much of a difference between EX and Touring. Prius was similarly decent. Ioniq was noticeably noisier. That said, it would not surprise me at all to know top quality aftermarket tires improve one or both trim levels.

I suspect there are the usual other tradeoffs to shorter sidewall tires. All else equal, somewhat better handling vs. smoother ride. Perhaps the Touring's extra "Fluid-Filled" suspension bushings are to partially offset any loss of ride quality from the lower profile tires?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts