Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my gen 3 Honda Insight
so far, strictly daily driver with excellent performance and of course mpg is amazing
I have a road trip coming up this summer and wonder if I should consider driving the Insight
or a different vehicle?
the trip will be about 400 miles each way, and include the stretch of I77 between Mount Airy NC and Wytheville VA
which has very steep grades….how might the Insight perform? Will it struggle going up the hill?
if it’s a go…what is the best drive mode to be in when going up the mountain?
what experiences that you have had can inform my thought and planning?
what should I be thinking about?

· Registered
60 Posts
Don't worry about it. We travel from Raleigh NC to Roanoke, Lynchburg Wintergreen VA and also to Asheville and Boone NC. Have driven the Blue Ridge Parkway many times. We actually just did I77 from Mt. Airy to Rt 81 just a couple weeks ago. Sure, you'll hear the motor, and the gas mileage will take a small hit, but it doesn't strain or hurt the car. It won't struggle - and we drive the car just like any other car, we don't worry about which drive mode to use (except we don't hardly ever use the ECON mode).

If you have the chance, stop in the Old North State Winery for lunch in Mt. Airy. Or you can get the Famous Pork Chop Sandwich at the Snappy Lunch diner.

· Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
290 Posts
It won't struggle - and we drive the car just like any other car, we don't worry about which drive mode to use (except we don't hardly ever use the ECON mode).

If you have the chance, stop in the Old North State Winery for lunch in Mt. Airy. Or you can get the Famous Pork Chop Sandwich at the Snappy Lunch diner.
Windy rolling scenic road? I'd say don't take all the fun out of the drive by going into ECON mode. Perfect time to roll in NORMAL or bump into SPORT where it'll save some juice for your climbs (and pour more into the drive if needed). Stuck in a traffic jam and going nowhere? - that might be the time for ECON...but I don't think you'll encounter that in your road trip through the area.

Wish we were closer out that way to take up @ScottyWM's food rec. We're usually closer to the GSMNP area on the NC side and stayed a bit in Asheville.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Windy rolling scenic road? I'd say don't take all the fun out of the drive by going into ECON mode. Perfect time to roll in NORMAL or bump into SPORT where it'll save some juice for your climbs (and pour more into the drive if needed). Stuck in a traffic jam and going nowhere? - that might be the time for ECON...but I don't think you'll encounter that in your road trip through the area.

Wish we were closer out that way to take up @ScottyWM's food rec. We're usually closer to the GSMNP area on the NC side and stayed a bit in Asheville.
This is helpful and encouraging
I have not been on the parkway
Any recommendations for specific trips (enter/exit locations) in NC?
Best!

· Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
290 Posts
This is helpful and encouraging
I have not been on the parkway
Any recommendations for specific trips (enter/exit locations) in NC?
Best!
There are probably others who travel to the area more regularly, but these are my noted highlights from recent trips:

• Cataloochee Valley at the eastern end of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - go beginning or end of day for best light and wildlife sighting possibilities. Cataloochee · North Carolina 28785
  • can dine at Haywood 209 Cafe - https://www.yelp.com/biz/haywood-209-cafe-waynesville
  • This part of GSMNP is closer to BRP than the rest of the park but it would be a side trip from the BRP. Note this is a gravel road - not a problem for most vehicles, including the Insight. Not a good idea for RVs.

There's more you can explore in Asheville and GSMNP but it seems you're focused on the Blue Ridge Parkway for your trip so will leave it to just the two highlights above which might be at the tail end or past how far you want to go on the BRP.

Reactions: jensight

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are probably others who travel to the area more regularly, but these are my noted highlights from recent trips:

• Cataloochee Valley at the eastern end of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - go beginning or end of day for best light and wildlife sighting possibilities. Cataloochee · North Carolina 28785
  • can dine at Haywood 209 Cafe - https://www.yelp.com/biz/haywood-209-cafe-waynesville
  • This part of GSMNP is closer to BRP than the rest of the park but it would be a side trip from the BRP. Note this is a gravel road - not a problem for most vehicles, including the Insight. Not a good idea for RVs.

There's more you can explore in Asheville and GSMNP but it seems you're focused on the Blue Ridge Parkway for your trip so will leave it to just the two highlights above which might be at the tail end or past how far you want to go on the BRP.
OK
Planning for Road Trips coming up!
I look forward to the destinations you mention and the enjoyment of the travel in the Insight
Best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts