Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd do a write up on the 2020 Honda Insight touring speaker replacement I went through...

First off...for those interesting in upgrading their speakers. BUY THE ADAPTERS!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if they're $25 each..they're worth it. Unless you want to dremel for an hour and try to find all different kinds of screws to fit.. its worth it getting the adapters. THe other piece is that you have to absolutely destroy the stock speakers in order to get the "adapters" to fit the space from the old speakers...trust me, its just worth paying extra and getting the adapters...do it right...don't be me.

Here's the stock POS Foster touring speakers...

Touring sub with speaker:

and now for the new speaker...

What I had to do:

1. Remove the old speakers
2. Cut the entire rubber surround off the speaker
3. Snip the entire brackets that hold the woofer voice coil to the speaker surround
4. Dremel smooth the edges where you cut
5. With a lock wrench, snap the edges around the entire speaker surround
6. Dremel the top area of the adapter where the bolt goes to fit the new speaker
7. Cut a larger hole in the top of the new speaker to fit the area where the single bolt goes on the adapter
8. Test fit the speaker, I had to continually dremel the edges of the adapter to get the speaker to fit
9. Pre drill holes for speaker
10. Add buytl putty between the speaker and adapter
11. Screw together the two pieces
12. NOT FINISHED! Put the speakers in the door, obviously don't forget to connect them.
13. Now you have to take the door panel and cut the excess plastic around the speaker area...otherwise the panel will not fit the surround. (The new speaker is like 1mm too wide and the plastic digs into the speaker surround...you have to dremel around the entire speaker opening on the door panel to get it to fit...

That's JUST for the adapter! I also had to solder and cut off the stock speaker hookup because I wanted to keep the original equipment. So I had to use solder wick wire to wrap that around the prongs for the positive and negative and solder away. You can kinda see my work in one picture.

Overall the entire process took me most of the weekend to do 2 speakers...whereas if I had adapters, it would probably have taken me an hour...

Now for the results......:nerd:

AMAZING difference! I mean night and day! High's are soo so so much better. Lows actually are lows. Once you hear the new speakers...you'll be blown away from the sound. I first thought the touring sound system was good...now I think its crap after installing these speakers.

Also, FYI...getting to the rear deck.... :( Worst EVER!!!! Honda made it so that it's nearly impossible to get to...Let's not even talk about that. I added deadener to the entire rear deck of the vehicle...I'll let you know how it turned out. The rattle with this car is awful!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
So... How did you get into the rear deck without using the service manual? :p Nice job on the upgrades and having the guts to tear your car apart. I'm too chicken to do all this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So... How did you get into the rear deck without using the service manual? :p Nice job on the upgrades and having the guts to tear your car apart. I'm too chicken to do all this.
When your plunging a knife through the surround of your stock speakers...you know you've passed the point of no return...

It's similar to the accord...or civic. So it's relatively easy to take off...you just have to take off basically all the back end molding pieces to get to it..

·
Registered
551 Posts
So... How did you get into the rear deck without using the service manual? [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Nice job on the upgrades and having the guts to tear your car apart. I'm too chicken to do all this.
Happily Andrew the rear deck is daunting but basically 4 bolts a bunch of clips. There is a lot to remove, but it you're careful and have extra clips just in case a few break, it's not horrid. It is unwieldy though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Listen to this guy about the adapters. Changing my speakers was easy in the front and I still have the old stock speakers in working order just in case. The adapters make the speakers pop right in easy as pie. Also it might have been hard to understand the way he said it, but the cutting he was talking about towards the end is on the door panel. If you look where the speaker grill on the inside there is a ring of extended plastic probably meant to cup around the crap fosters. Like he said you need to Dremel that stuff off otherwise it'll push against your speaker and suck up the entire install. You're a brave (crazy?) man to do them without speaker adapters. 😁

·
Registered
128 Posts
I too have a Touring (2019). Did you just change out the door 6.5" speakers?...or did the rear deck as well (2x 6.5")

P.S.
Did you use the Honda factory AMP to power these new Rockford 6.5" speakers?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too have a Touring (2019). Did you just change out the door 6.5" speakers?...or did the rear deck as well (2x 6.5")

P.S.

6.5s all around. Haven't replaced the rear. If you use DSP then the rear speakers are basically worthless...any doubt? Turn dsp on, play spotify and change the fader to rear speakers only. It'll sound like they're under water.

·
Registered
128 Posts

P.S.

6.5s all around. Haven't replaced the rear. If you use DSP then the rear speakers are basically worthless...any doubt? Turn dsp on, play spotify and change the fader to rear speakers only. It'll sound like they're under water.
Thanks for the answer.
So you used changed the front 6.5" speakers only? I think I have 11 speakers including the P.O.S subwoofer that rattles the rear deck. You didn't change any in the rear deck?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Rears, in many cases, are known as fill speakers. They fill in the overall background. In some cases they are designed to be more discrete for rear passengers so they hear a better detailed sound in their position. The insights rears are definitely of the fill variety. Most of the music in a car is front centric and are tuned for the front passengers. Out of curiosity, You used three way speakers for your 6.5, did you keep your front tweeters? The reason I ask is even though you used the 3 ways, and no doubt they sound better, I know the frequency range sent to the standard 6.5 channel in the front is not open and a lot of frequencies are cut out making the speaker not as useful as a 3 way since a lot of the higher frequencies are channeled to the (eeek!) center and overly bright tweeters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very curious about the front tweeters as well. Component speakers? Tweeter disconnected? Tweeter still using stock speakers?

It's good to hear that the sound was improved without having to add additional amplification. I don't like the sound in my Touring, but I don't want to give it the Verdier treatment of total replacement.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's no issue with a 3-way for the door speakers. Even with upper tweeters it doesn't sound too pitchy. There's hardly any cutoff for frequencies that the tweeters would take advantage of on these speakers. Overall its a tremendous upgrade. I'd highly recommend it. Such a difference...just get the adapters...lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm confused.
What speakers did you change out? The front door speakers or the rear deck speakers?

OEM Honda amp?

There's sooo many speakers on the TOURING trim and they are all a P.O.S.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just the front door speakers. I added sound deadening to the rear deck with no speaker change.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok thank you for clarifying that. Its hard to believe a $89.00 (3-way 6.5") speakers for lower front door only can make a huge change. On my 2019 Jeep, I had $400 (6.5") JL-Audio speakers, & they sound like crapola.

I did what you said, by playing with the Fader & DTS (on & off).

With the Fader set to REAR only, there are no highs (vocals) with DTS "ON"???????

So all this time that I've had the TOURING trim, passengers in the back seat heard no vocals in rear speakers with DTS "ON"....that is just wierd.

Why DTS?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ok thank you for clarifying that. Its hard to believe a $89.00 (3-way 6.5") speakers for lower front door only can make a huge change. On my 2019 Jeep, I had $400 (6.5") JL-Audio speakers, & they sound like crapola.

I did what you said, by playing with the Fader & DTS (on & off).

With the Fader set to REAR only, there are no highs (vocals) with DTS "ON"???????

So all this time that I've had the TOURING trim, passengers in the back seat heard no vocals in rear speakers with DTS "ON"....that is just wierd.

Why DTS?
I'm under the impression that the Honda DSP settings they adopted for the system uses the rears in a more filler capacity using the front tweeters and/or center for vocals. This is a common setup for higher end systems since the designers tend to shape the music for the front passengers since obviously there will always be at least one of them to the probability that most of the time the rear seats are empty. IMHO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried to carry on a conversation on my phone with my front door speakers unplugged. Haha. It's amazing how much audio comes from them. It's interesting how the audible commands from the headunit uses only the front center speaker yet when you make a call it comes through the door speakers...go figure. What's worse is the front center dash speaker. There's almost 0 sound coming from there...or at least very high frequency voice relate stuff...no mids or anything.

I'd love to replace the rear sub with that kicker compc sub but at this timeI can't really justify spending even more money on a depreciatable asset thatI don't even fully own yet...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I tried to carry on a conversation on my phone with my front door speakers unplugged. Haha. It's amazing how much audio comes from them. It's interesting how the audible commands from the headunit uses only the front center speaker yet when you make a call it comes through the door speakers...go figure. What's worse is the front center dash speaker. There's almost 0 sound coming from there...or at least very high frequency voice relate stuff...no mids or anything.

I'd love to replace the rear sub with that kicker compc sub but at this timeI can't really justify spending even more money on a depreciatable asset thatI don't even fully own yet...
Don't do it! I tried desperately to run a kicker 8" sub in the deck and it was a rattle nightmare. After finally blowing it during a tuning session I wisely chose to run a separate boxed sub in the trunk. Moving to a 12" boxed sub made a huge difference in sound quality and made rattle mitigation feasable for the rear deck .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts