Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yakima Roof Racks

Just installed some Yakima bases and streamline crossbars last weekend.
I am a Thule fan but they didn't have a system that fit yet and Yakima did.
So far, I am very happy with them. They installed fairly easy.
They are extremely quiet (don't even know they are there).
After one full week of commuting though, I "may" have lost about 2 mpg (lots of different driving variances this week to know for sure).
They look pretty sexy on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Pardon my naivete, but what stops that bike rack from digging into the paint? are there pads underneath? is it easy to remove when it's time for a wash?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, it has thick rubber pads that sit on the joint molds (?) of the car as well as the metal brackets are dipped in rubber. They come off easy enough, not easy enough for me to want to do it at each was though. Some places allow racks to drive thru the wash, some don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I just purchased an insight a couple of days ago and I wanted to put a roof rack and cargo cage on it. Would you mind sharing the roof rack you purchased. Also if you could recommend a cargo cage that would be great. It looks great btw.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Hello, I just purchased an insight a couple of days ago and I wanted to put a roof rack and cargo cage on it. Would you mind sharing the roof rack you purchased. Also if you could recommend a cargo cage that would be great. It looks great btw.

@808_Insight posted some helpful info in this prior thread on Bike Racks: "I just put on a Yakima system. Bases and streamline crossbars. You can fit your car out at RackAttack.com. They are expensive and these were just the bases and bars, you still have to get the bike racks themselves. I have Thule criterium 598 racks that hold our 2 bikes really well. All-in, about $1,000 for the whole setup. I wanted something very secure that wouldn't damage or scratch car."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks @insightfully. @Sybell711, if you go to RackAttack.com, they have a system that will fit your car. I actually called them several times and they were very helpful. There are you tube videos on how to install, not too difficult. I have a Thule cargo rack (not sure the model) that works well with the T-bar tracks on these. And now that I have had them on for a few weeks, they really haven't impacted by mpg by all that much. Still getting 51-54 on my daily work drives with these on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Roof Rack Kit

I'm looking for a roof rack kit to hold a few kayaks for my Insight. Anyone have any racks already on their Insight? If so, what kind fits? The only ones I've found so far were for the older insight body style.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
I'm looking for a roof rack kit to hold a few kayaks for my Insight. Anyone have any racks already on their Insight? If so, what kind fits? The only ones I've found so far were for the older insight body style.
Added your question to existing thread on Roof Racks. Yakima Roof Rack is one suggestion from 808_Insight, with pictures included in post #3 above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts