Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious but do everyone's Rotors look shiny like polished metal or dull with a Copper-like finish to them ? I'm just wondering if I have a problem here or not. Presently, my last tank got 57.48 MPG so I'm thinking everything is ok. lol

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Mine was a shiny polished metal when I got it. It can look copper like after sitting out in the rain but it goes away once the brake pads smooth the rust layer away.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
This post from @Mobilcams offers interesting thoughts on the Insight's rotors and low-wear due to the initial travel of the brake pedal being for regeneration. (The brake pads and/or friction braking doesn't engage until speed drops to 5-10 mph, OR under emergency braking situation.):

"I have a theory on the brakes. They aren’t broken in yet [...] and I believe the brakes aren’t really broken in until maybe 15,000 miles on these cars depending on your driving habits. The car tends to use regenerative braking quite aggressively. I have just now started noticing wear lines on the rotors. For the longest time these rotors looked brand new. The only time they are applied is at very low speed unless you are emergency braking."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts