Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i owned a Prius, this was not possible because it would drain the aux battery.. I’m assuming this is the same with the Insight, but just had to ask..

I want my dash cam on all the time.. Perhaps i can get a high capacity battery pack on Amazon, put it under driver’s seat, and run a line through interior pieces (a-pillar, through plastic portion that meets windshield and down into dash cam)..

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
There was a similar/related question asked in the following "Running auxiliary to power telescope" thread.

The manual suggests auxiliary battery be used with the power system is on, to avoid 12V battery drain. While the power system runs, the HV battery can use DC-to-DC converter to recharge the 12V battery.

If you opt for alternate battery pack, would be interested in hearing about your final set-up and accessories used. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
When i owned a Prius, this was not possible because it would drain the aux battery.. I’m assuming this is the same with the Insight, but just had to ask..

I want my dash cam on all the time.. Perhaps i can get a high capacity battery pack on Amazon, put it under driver’s seat, and run a line through interior pieces (a-pillar, through plastic portion that meets windshield and down into dash cam)..
https://youtu.be/dNFBciN2npE?t=2225
The above video mentions Honda and Subaru have weaker 12v batteries so they suggested a dedicated dashcam battery.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get this.. it’s called a Power Magic Pro.. it keeps your dash cam (if you have one) on all the time and you can turn it off anytime.. I have a inside/outside dash cam. Since I garage my car, I turn it off before I get home.. I’ve had it for about 8-9 months now and have 2 amps for my sound system and my aux battery still checks out as “Good” when dealership last checked it about a month ago.

gotta love that Honda AGM battery..

CE204402-830F-4E31-AD7F-9E2839F90E6B.jpeg
28E00C68-6300-4485-93B7-61C0DBBC135D.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get this.. it’s called a Power Magic Pro.. it keeps your dash cam (if you have one) on all the time and you can turn it off anytime.. I have a inside/outside dash cam. Since I garage my car, I turn it off before I get home.. I’ve had it for about 8-9 months now and have 2 amps for my sound system and my aux battery still checks out as “Good” when dealership last checked it about a month ago.

gotta love that Honda AGM battery..

View attachment 6164 View attachment 6165
I had that and it died within a year. They have a new one that plugs into the OBD2 port and is actually cheaper. Works the same way. I recommend that one.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch...I don’t have mine on all the time because I garage my car so hopefully it lasts longer than a year. But if it dies, I could just replace it with that newer one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts