Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a telescope with drive and small computer. It has a cigarette lighter power connection. Can anyone tell me how much power I can draw from the cigarette lighter connection in the Insight? And for how long? It would be amazing if the power actually came from the hybrid high voltage batteries, but I doubt that's the case.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wish I could change the subject line, because I'm not trying to power an inverter. But there may be people who would like to hookup an inverter, so the subject line could still be helpful.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wish I could change the subject line, because I'm not trying to power an inverter. But there may be people who would like to hookup an inverter, so the subject line could still be helpful.
From page 221 of the full manual:

The accessory power socket is designed to supply power for 12-volt DC accessories that are rated 180 watts (15 amps) or less.
To prevent 12-volt battery drain, only use the power socket with the power system on.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I have a telescope with drive and small computer. It has a cigarette lighter power connection. Can anyone tell me how much power I can draw from the cigarette lighter connection in the Insight? And for how long? It would be amazing if the power actually came from the hybrid high voltage batteries, but I doubt that's the case.
There is brief mention in the Owners Manual that one of the high voltage battery functions is to recharge the 12-volt battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is brief mention in the Owners Manual that one of the high voltage battery functions is to recharge the 12-volt battery.
That makes sense - something would have to keep that little 12 volt battery charged. My understanding is that the 12V battery is pretty small and it's purpose is to keep the computer systems going. I don't believe it is used to run a starter motor for the gasoline engine. But, if you use it to power external devices, how much juice can it deliver? If it goes dead, the car is dead!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. 49 Ampere-Hours should be plenty enough for a few hours running a telescope clock drive. The motors use at most a few watts.
Is there a way to mark this thread solved or closed?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dr. Glenn, instead of marking it close, as another amateur astronomer, I’d be interested in your experiences trying this!

OTOH, the thought of using a car's battery to power gear when out in the boonies is not something that appeals to me. Suppose you end up, for one reason or another dropping the starting battery below regular operating voltage. You'd be stuck in the middle of nowhere in the night with temperatures dropping!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts