Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have a fancy new car, my primary concern is ensuring nothing bad happens to it. I'm not concerned about minor cosmetic things like chips and dings, I mean more like theft or break-ins.

What tools and technologies actually make a real-world difference in preventing negative outcomes?

(I also plan to ask my insurance provider which options will reduce my rates.)

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I think generally, the 'top' recommendation I've gotten from insurers is to have the car garaged at a primary residence (~5% discount). Adding the physical layer of security helps mitigate the risk of theft.

The Insight itself has a basic, factory-installed immobilizer/security alarm. It's the flashing red light that blinks at certain intervals after the car is locked. On the EX, the alarm is linked to the doors, radio and battery. These types of alarms are becoming more 'standard' across all cars, but mentioning it to your insurer may also yield an additional discount. The Insight Owners Manual warns not to alter the alarm system or add devices at the risk of making the car inoperable (immobilized), yet dealerships (and other aftermarket shops) still offer these types of modifications too. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/2432-dealer-installed-alarm.html

There are tracking/tracing services that some dealers upsell along with window etching, but on Touring trim (only), enrollment in HondaLink 'Security' and 'Remote' features can substitute IMO. On the EX trim, only 'Basic' and 'Link' features are offered thru HondaLink. - https://hondalink.honda.com/#/compatibility?year=2019&model=Insight

Net, maybe inform your insurer of security features the Insight already has, and see if any additional ones would offer any additional discount. My general experience has been that the 'standard' security features offer discounts already.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
There are a a few features from the list that the Insight includes: :)
- Walk Away Auto Lock (1 - Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.)
- Security System Alarm, p 184 (7 - Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn’t have one -and- 'some new cars come with passive alarms that activate automatically when the key is removed from the ignition')
- Immobilizer system, p183 (Ignition cut-off systems that prevent a car from being started)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts