Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.copart.com/lot/31837199

It’s close to me. The mileage is not listed but I’m assuming it’s low. I’m wondering if I could scrap it for its hybrid battery and use other parts such as the stereo (which I really want right now but it’s expensive). What do you think will come of the hybrid battery if I just remove it and leave it for say two years?

I hope this is not in the wrong section of the forum. Don’t know really know where to put it but this seems best area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Having been an auto insurance adjuster in VA, Copart does not make their salvage available to the general public and will only sell to a licensed salvage buyer.

Also, information in other threads in this forum, a number of Insight owners have experienced electrical problems after they bought their car and have found out it was more than likely because the car was on the dealer's lot for more than a few months and very low test drive miles. The Owners manual says that if the car will not be driven for an extended period of time, it is best to start the car very so often and let it run for a short period of time to keep the battery from completely depleting itself.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
https://www.copart.com/lot/31837199

It’s close to me. The mileage is not listed but I’m assuming it’s low. I’m wondering if I could scrap it for its hybrid battery and use other parts such as the stereo (which I really want right now but it’s expensive). What do you think will come of the hybrid battery if I just remove it and leave it for say two years?
On the topic of salvaging and storing hybrid battery for 2+ years, I'd be concerned about oxidation and the fact that Li Ion batteries degrade even when not in use. I think you'd be throwing away money, given that Honda covers the HV battery for 'normal wear' for 8+ years (depending on state).

From Popular Mechanics, "batteries degrade even if you don't use them [...] a fully charged lithium-ion battery will lose about 20 percent of its capacity after a year of typical storage. Increase the temperature to just above 100 degrees Fahrenheitas in a hot attic, for example and that number is 35 percent. [...] On the other hand, an empty battery pack can eventually fall into "deep discharge," at which point the battery's protection circuit intended to prevent power from reaching defective battery cells is triggered. This leaves the battery unable to charge at all. Your best bet for long-term battery storage is to run the charge down to 50 percent, remove the battery from the device, and keep it cool. But even ideal storage conditions can leave you with a dead battery after three or four years."

And per this article, "Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last two to three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not 'avoid using' the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, looks like the Collision Mitigation Braking System didn't help these two out!! (Of course, someone could have hit them when they were stopped I guess. Or drunk into a tree?)

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you look at the VIN sticker, the production date is 06/18 and Copart lists the vehicle as a 2019, not 2020, so color would be white orchid pearl!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you look at the VIN sticker, the production date is 06/18 and Copart lists the vehicle as a 2019, not 2020, so color would be white orchid pearl!
SORRY! Correction: This entry references the very first post by Insightfu1. I overlooked the other post about Copart having a 2020 also!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
Wow, looks like the Collision Mitigation Braking System didn't help these two out!! (Of course, someone could have hit them when they were stopped I guess. Or drunk into a tree?)
You never know CMBS could've reduced the severity of the collision by slowing the car down before impact.

Did anyone else notice the 2020's Platinum White paint doesn't look as good as the 2019's White Orchid Pearl? It just doesn't seem to "pop" in the sunshine.
I think it's due to having less "Pearl".

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the topic of salvaging and storing hybrid battery for 2+ years, I'd be concerned about oxidation and the fact that Li Ion batteries degrade even when not in use. I think you'd be throwing away money, given that Honda covers the HV battery for 'normal wear' for 8+ years (depending on state).

From Popular Mechanics, "batteries degrade even if you don't use them [...] a fully charged lithium-ion battery will lose about 20 percent of its capacity after a year of typical storage. Increase the temperature to just above 100 degrees Fahrenheitas in a hot attic, for example and that number is 35 percent. [...] On the other hand, an empty battery pack can eventually fall into "deep discharge," at which point the battery's protection circuit intended to prevent power from reaching defective battery cells is triggered. This leaves the battery unable to charge at all. Your best bet for long-term battery storage is to run the charge down to 50 percent, remove the battery from the device, and keep it cool. But even ideal storage conditions can leave you with a dead battery after three or four years."

And per this article, "Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last two to three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not 'avoid using' the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important."

It depends though .. if one were to drive over 150k (or 100k) in 2 years (CA gets 150k warranty for hybrid batteries), then warranty is void. But I kinda knew storing hybrid battery wouldn’t be an option. If I were able to buy it, I’d need to make soon room in my garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts