Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
I'm thinking about using ScotchGard to protect the interior. Any thoughts or opinions?
I was considering same ScotchGard option for the cloth on the door handles, headliner, and center armrest (EX). The exposed interior door handles especially bug me, as they're exposed to rain when I open the door in bad weather. I have seat covers for the front (non-OEM) and rear (Civic OEM) which fit really well, so I don't plan to protect the seat cloth.

The potential alternatives I considered were replacing the door handle and armrest with leather OEM parts available for Touring, OR to wrap the door handles and center armrest with pleather kits available on ebay. I ruled out the replacement option because I generally like cloth better, and ruled out the wrap kits because of the taping and potential residue.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
I'm thinking about using ScotchGard to protect the interior. Any thoughts or opinions?
I actually bought a can of scotchguard auto and decided to return it after reading about the chemicals on the can. I don't want to be breathing that stuff in, such a confined space, even after airing out the car. I don't allow anyone to drink/eat in my car and I vacuum every other week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Finding a good automotive detailer to get your vehicle cleaned and looked after is a good alternative. Often they have products that work better and not as easy to find for regular consumers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just applied it. I'm happy with the results. The arm rests now shed water. I am assuming they will now shed body sweat and other dirt. Time will tell. Wish I read Andrew28's warning before breathing that stuff :).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a can of Scotchguard and have been debating on spraying it on the cloth in my EX. I definitely want to protect the fabric, but the chemicals concern me as well. I bought a cheap set of car seats from the local Lidl grocery store for $20 a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll see how they look this weekend.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For now using the seat covers in the front seats to protect the fabric (attached photo shows one seat with the cover on for comparison). They fit better than I expected, so I guess the Insight seat is a common size. The rear seat cover may or may not fit well given the design of the back seat. Will probably mess with it in the Spring when it is warmer out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
For now using the seat covers in the front seats to protect the fabric (attached photo shows one seat with the cover on for comparison). They fit better than I expected, so I guess the Insight seat is a common size. The rear seat cover may or may not fit well given the design of the back seat. Will probably mess with it in the Spring when it is warmer out.
I measured all the Civic and Insight seats at my dealer before purchasing car seat covers. My observation is that the measurements for the two cars are almost identical, except for the thickness of the Insight's seat backs. Net, if you see an aftermarket seat cover that fits the Civic well, it will fit the Insight too. Will be interested to see the fitment in your back seats once you get around to it.

Given the measurement similarity (and accepting the "Civic" logo ), I bought the Civic OEM rear seat covers and really love them. They're spendy versus aftermarket seat covers, but the custom fit and high quality fabric are really fantastic. No need for scotchgard on my rear seats, as mentioned! https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/321-interior/114-rear-seat-cover.html#post4504

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
I'm not sure about the rear seats but the front passenger/driver seats have side airbags. That deploy from the seat during side impacts. I think this was the reason why most auto manufactures don't make front seat covers for any of there vehicles. https://www.tigertough.com/blog/airbag-compliant-seat-covers/

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
I'm not sure about the rear seats but the front passenger/driver seats have side airbags. That deploy from the seat during side impacts. I think this was the reason why most auto manufactures don't make front seat covers for any of there vehicles. https://www.tigertough.com/blog/airbag-compliant-seat-covers/
Yes, the risk is likely why Honda doesn't offer an OEM front seat cover. Aftermarket front seat covers do provide a visible label to align the "special"/tear-away side seam with the seat's side air bag. There still is an element of risk a user accepts with use of front seat covers (see video). The rear seats have side curtain rather than projecting from the seat, so covering the sides isn't an issue back there.

youtube.com/watch?v=aRX7x43_b28

·
Registered
154 Posts
Aftermarket front seat covers do provide a visible label to align the "special"/tear-away side seam with the seat's side air bag.
The front seat covers I installed had labels on one side of them indicating "Airbag" to determine which seat to install them on. This doesn't necessarily mean they were tested independently. The seat covers are paper thin so I suspect there should be no issue with the airbags breaking through them (probably one benefit of buying super cheap seat covers).

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
The front seat covers I installed had labels on one side of them indicating "Airbag" to determine which seat to install them on. This doesn't necessarily mean they were tested independently. The seat covers are paper thin so I suspect there should be no issue with the airbags breaking through them (probably one benefit of buying super cheap seat covers).
Agree - as mentioned just after the quote snipped from post, "There still is an element of risk a user accepts with use of front seat covers." I think anyone who chooses non-OEM parts/materials needs to acknowledge some element of risk.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,064 Posts
I checked out CoverKing (https://www.coverking.com/) and had them ship a few free samples. I like their product. I will likely buy from them once I have a few dollars extra to spend. They're expensive, but they seem to really have their act together. I'm torn between their Spacer Mesh and NeoSupreme covers but am leaning towards Spacer Mesh.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I checked out CoverKing (https://www.coverking.com/) and had them ship a few free samples. I like their product. I will likely buy from them once I have a few dollars extra to spend. They're expensive, but they seem to really have their act together. I'm torn between their Spacer Mesh and NeoSupreme covers but am leaning towards Spacer Mesh.
Got my samples a while ago. The spacer mesh is a bit on the thin side. The neosupreme seems good. Too bad they don't have measurements for the touring models, I really need a good form fitting seat cover. If I was in Anaheim I'd go there since they offered to scan my seat for free to make the covers for it. 😫

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Got my samples a while ago. The spacer mesh is a bit on the thin side. The neosupreme seems good. Too bad they don't have measurements for the touring models, I really need a good form fitting seat cover. If I was in Anaheim I'd go there since they offered to scan my seat for free to make the covers for it.
As a Touring owner, are you concerned at all about the thickness/ventilation of the seat covers affecting heat transfer from the seat heaters? The neosupreme seemed kind of insulating, which might trap heat toward the seat and transfer less to the passenger (?).

There's a note in the manual that the seat heaters turn themselves off depending on temperature environment (p223): "After a certain period of time, the strength setting for the front seat heaters will automatically be reduced by one level at a time until the front seat heaters shuts off. The elapsed time varies according to the interior environment."

·
Registered
554 Posts
Got my samples a while ago. The spacer mesh is a bit on the thin side. The neosupreme seems good. Too bad they don't have measurements for the touring models, I really need a good form fitting seat cover. If I was in Anaheim I'd go there since they offered to scan my seat for free to make the covers for it.
As a Touring owner, are you concerned at all about the thickness/ventilation of the seat covers affecting heat transfer from the seat heaters? The neosupreme seemed kind of insulating, which might trap heat toward the seat and transfer less to the passenger (?).

There's a note in the manual that the seat heaters turn themselves off depending on temperature environment (p223): "After a certain period of time, the strength setting for the front seat heaters will automatically be reduced by one level at a time until the front seat heaters shuts off. The elapsed time varies according to the interior environment."
You know it could be a possible problem, but, after getting the samples the neosupreme isn't overly thick in comparison to the neoprene so I think it's worth a shot. The mesh seems extremely thin and would probably be far more susceptible to tear damage. You'll see when you get the samples.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
I opted for these cloth front seat covers (universal), in black. - https://www.dickies.com/seat-covers/phoenix-gray-seat-cover-set-of-2/3452LD.html

Since it's a stretchy material, the fit is better than average (but not perfect). The fabric is breathable and it covers the entire area surface behind the seat back (some covers don't extend that far).

I'm fanatical about protecting the interior, so I bought these seat covers before I bought the car. I found them on a closeout deal at <$5 per seat cover, so also bought a second set as a spare... just in case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts