Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ms. Moneypenny & I were sitting in our car waiting for our grocery pick-up. I suddenly noticed a blinking red light in the lower right corner of the dark display behind the steering wheel.

Wondered what it was. Had Spectre compromised our vehicle's integrity? :cool: Was the NSA or CIA on our trail?

I later figured out it means that the security system is activated.

The plot then thickened... When I popped the trunk for the delivery person via the inside trunk release, the alarm went off! Blaring, irritating, unnerving. Had no idea what to do -- Q had not prepared us for this! I opened the door, turned on the vehicle, pressed different key fob buttons -- and it finally went off.

Two questions, the first of which I think I've figured out.

Question #1: What could I have done to activate the security system while sitting inside the vehicle?

Answer: Here's what I believed happened. Just sitting there, I must have shifted in my seat and the iPhone or pen in my pocket must have pressed the LOCK button on the key fob! I just tested that and it does activate the security system.​

Solution: If you are in the car and see the blinking red light, you need to press the Unlock button on the fob.​

Blinking or flashing red light = system activated.​
PRESS THE UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE FOB TO TURN IT OFF.

Question #2: Why did popping the trunk via the inside release set off the alarm?!

I just tested this, too, First, I activated the security system while sitting in the car. Then, I pressed the trunk release lever by the driver's seat. Voila! Trunk popped open and the system was deactivated.​
NO ALARM AT ALL!

The mystery remains.

What do you think could have triggered the alarm?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Radio interference from your iPhone or the magsafe magnet on iPhone 12/13? The Insight probably had trouble detecting the keyfob inside the vehicle. I keep my keyfob and my iPhone in separate pockets.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
64 Posts
Radio interference from your iPhone or the magsafe magnet on iPhone 12/13? The Insight probably had trouble detecting the keyfob inside the vehicle. I keep my keyfob and my iPhone in separate pockets.
Different reason, but I always keep my phone in a separate pocket to avoid scratching the screen. I guess there's an unintended benefit to that approach. :geek:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the idea! It's an iPhone SE and was almost definitely off. I typically pull into the loading area, call them up that I've arrived for the groceries, and then turn off the phone.

It has a case on it, that fully covers it, with a magnetic clasp, and a glass screen protector, to protect it from other stuff in the pocket.. But maybe that magnetic clasp is weirding out the key fob! As Andrew suggests, the Insight may think there isn't a key fob present.

In any case, at least I figured out that I need to press the unlock button on the fob if I see the flashing red light.

____

Ah, just realized something else. When I did my test, I had the key fob in my hand, not in my pocket next to the magnet. Of course, this was the first time this has happened in over a year and a half -- with the phone and key fob next to each other in the pocket...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts