Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I sighted or rather heard 2 RAV-4 hybrids this weekend. I was waiting for some take out when I heard some awful car engine sounds. At first, I thought some poor chap needs some serious work to his car. I turned around to see a RAV4 hybrid driving around! The next day, 100 miles away in the country side, I heard and saw another hybrid RAV4 in a dirt lot. I drove the Japanese 2019 RAV4 2.0 liter gas earlier this year while in Asia and I thought it to be an excellent car but as much as i liked it, the pedestrian warning sound is a non-starter unless I could easily defeat it.

this makes the decision quite easy between the CR-V and RAV4 hyrbids with the atrocious RAV4 sound being the main driver against.

the Honda pedestrian sound is pretty silly IMHO, but definitely leagues better than Toyota and Audi.

BMW hasn't released their sound yet, but their approach has made headlines.

Train stations in Japan have some of the most memorable chimes and tones. Couldn't Japanese car companies tap into some of that talent?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I actually like the sound of the electric traction motor spinning up and down so I'm not sure why automakers don't just amplify that for under 20mph pedestrian warning purposes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ended up leasing a gas CRV. I couldn’t justify the extra cost for 8 mpg additional. Husband is now driving the Insight and lowering the mpg I built up. Oh well

I’m enjoying the CRV. Length and width are almost the same as Insight and I don’t have to hear that awful noise when the Insight is trying to climb.

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
My aunt and uncle's 2020 Subaru Outback was wrecked by a falling tree due to heavy wind last week. They'll be getting a 2020 CRV Hybrid EX-L tomorrow. I'm going with them to check it out.
What do you think of the CR-V Hybrid so far? Sad that the 2020 Subaru Outback was only around <12 months, but ironic that in the end they'll end up with the CR-V Hybrid you originally recommended.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
What do you think of the CR-V Hybrid so far? Sad that the 2020 Subaru Outback was only around <12 months, but ironic that in the end they'll end up with the CR-V Hybrid you originally recommended.
They had 9 great months with it and really loved the Subaru Outback. I enjoyed riding in it as a passenger, too. It had a very comfortable quiet cabin(great road trip car) and the suspension handled bumps on the road like it was perfectly paved. The Subaru offered a ton of value for the money with the features it included. They wanted another one but I had trouble negotiating a price similar to what I got them last year due to low inventory.

The CRV Hybrid at least in the EX-L trim was difficult to locate in MA, too. Found about 10 (7 in a color they wanted) and only 3 dealerships were willing to discount them. I didn't get them a great deal but it was fair based on current market conditions. I figure the gas savings, longer oil change intervals, regen braking saving pad life, and the emissions warranty on the hybrid will offer some future savings.

Oh yeah something interesting happened... Due to a technical issue, I was able to see the exact date(It was built on a Thursday @hasarad ;)) when the CRV Hybrid was born from the manufacture origin certificate, the date when Honda sold the vehicle to the dealership, and when it arrived off the truck at the dealership. It took about 3 weeks after the vehicle was completed to arrive at the dealership. Aunt & Uncle bought it 3 days later with 4 miles. We both now have September built Honda Hybrids! :D

Today was the pickup day due to a delay with their insurance. I was suppose to be the one to drive it back to their home so I can get a feel for it. But work related things came up so I didn't get the chance. My uncle is still using his rental from the insurance company so I might ask to take it for a spin this weekend if I have time.

I did play around with it on Saturday at the dealership. I think the biggest downfall of the CRV Hybrid is that Honda didn't upgrade the entertainment system, instrument cluster, software, and steering wheel to what the Accord Hybrid/Insight got. Also when you go in reverse the pedestrian alert tone is louder than the Insight. I was standing outside so I'm not sure if this is true as a driver inside the vehicle. If I remember correctly, it starts playing the moment you hit reverse, unlike the Insight where it plays the sound only when there is movement. I will need to double check on this when I get the chance to drive it.

Edit: One last thing I noticed was the lack of a blue back cover on the keyfob.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts