Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2021 Insight EX in mid-March. I'd say about 2 weeks into owning it I started to notice an odd very quick/short squeaking like noise (almost like an animal chittering) when driving on well worn suburban roads. Basically any time I'd go over small bumps or dips in the road. However, I'd only notice it sometimes, so I'd forget about it.

Recently I've noticed it more often. I've tried to pay more attention to where/when I hear the noise. I don't hear it on my cooler morning drive to work, it's only when the day warms up. So here in Northern California, I for sure hear it on my drive home these days since it's hitting 85+ degrees now.

Inside my car I can't really pin-point it, it sounds like maybe it's coming from the rear wheels.

If I roll down my windows I can hear it even louder, and it sounds like it could from either the front or rear wheels.
So it makes me think it's something with the wheels or suspension. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I searched the forums and I can't find anything quite like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Might be similar to this thread about the Civic? No real answers here though...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unfortunately noises are a pain in the {bleep} to find and rather dangerous to locate.

If you have someone else you trust to drive while you hang out in the trunk... and yes, that is how most dealers do it. An equally unsafe way to do it is get some vehicle ramps for at least the back wheels and have someone bounce up and down while you are under the car. With that said, just because the noise sounds like it is coming from the outside, does not mean it is. Metal is a very good conductor of sound and noises love travelling up the frame of the car.

As much as I despise taking a car to the dealers, it is probably safer for you to take it in for warranty again and again and again until they get the point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As much as I despise taking a car to the dealers, it is probably safer for you to take it in for warranty again and again and again until they get the point.
Yeah. It's so much time/effort to put my car into the dealer, but soon I think I'll have to do it. It's starting to annoy me. If I roll the windows down I can hear how obvious it is outside, so it's kind of embarrassing that I have a brand new car but it's squeaking like crazy down certain stretches of the streets on my evening drive home.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I bought my 2021 Insight EX in mid-March. I'd say about 2 weeks into owning it I started to notice an odd very quick/short squeaking like noise (almost like an animal chittering) when driving on well worn suburban roads. Basically any time I'd go over small bumps or dips in the road. However, I'd only notice it sometimes, so I'd forget about it.

Recently I've noticed it more often. I've tried to pay more attention to where/when I hear the noise. I don't hear it on my cooler morning drive to work, it's only when the day warms up. So here in Northern California, I for sure hear it on my drive home these days since it's hitting 85+ degrees now.

Inside my car I can't really pin-point it, it sounds like maybe it's coming from the rear wheels.

If I roll down my windows I can hear it even louder, and it sounds like it could from either the front or rear wheels.
So it makes me think it's something with the wheels or suspension. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I searched the forums and I can't find anything quite like this.
You may have found these already since mentioned searching the forums, but adding here in case they help:
Your mention of temperature relationship (i.e. only in warm weather, not cool temps) makes me think of something related to metal/expansion (?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks! I think I found all those in my searching. And yeah, I feel like it's related to metal too. Makes me think it's something with the suspension, maybe stabilizer sway bar or something? I'm kind of grasping at straws.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Thanks! I think I found all those in my searching. And yeah, I feel like it's related to metal too. Makes me think it's something with the suspension, maybe stabilizer bar or something? I'm kind of grasping at straws.
Possible... the Civic thread you referenced found sway bar as the cause in that situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've noticed something similar on my 2019 touring. Your description of it sounding like an animal chittering is exactly how I describe it myself. It's the only real way to describe the noise.

In my case though it seems to be coming from the front right but I could definitely be wrong. I never noticed the noise until recently (~25k miles). It seems to be getting more frequent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've noticed something similar on my 2019 touring. Your description of it sounding like an animal chittering is exactly how I describe it myself. It's the only real way to describe the noise.

In my case though it seems to be coming from the front right but I could definitely be wrong. I never noticed the noise until recently (~25k miles). It seems to be getting more frequent.
Wow, I'm not alone!

I think for me I'll wait until my first service to ask the dealer. Unless it really bothers me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Had a similar noise in my '19 EX. Found the source in the glove box door. It kinda worked its way a little loose Discovered the cause by pushing the glove box door to the side, while noise occurred, over some bumps in the road.

My wife found some little round cushions (about the size of a bottle cap). They have a little glue on bottom, soft material on top. Attached two to the vertical side and two the top of the glove box door while open. The blissful quiet of low speed cruising has returned !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'll try pressing on the glove box in different ways when I hear it next.

Initially I tried pressing on all the things I could think of that wiggle and could reach easily, like the glove box, sun-visors, driver's side C-pillar cover, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'll try pressing on the glove box in different ways when I hear it next.

Initially I tried pressing on all the things I could think of that wiggle and could reach easily, like the glove box, sun-visors, driver's side C-pillar cover, etc.
Yeah it's not inside, I wish it was just some squeaky interior trim. I just re-confirmed, it's from under/outside the car. If I roll down the windows it gets louder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts