Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I sold my Jeep Wrangler. I have been on the hunt for a new car ever since then. I was in a Suburban prior to my Jeep and have usually driven larger SUVs; I have had two cars that were Acuras.

Last weekend I looked at suvs at Acura, BMW, Audi, and Infiniti. I figured since I was getting out of my Jeep I would go back to all the bells and whistles I had before. After looking all day I wasn't crazy about anything so I headed to Honda. We have a Fit that we bought as a commuter car (70k in 2 years) and every time I drive it I think "this is all anyone really needs"...now what I need and what I want are two different things!

I ran across an Insight in the lot and was shocked at how low the price was considering everything that was included in the touring model. I have never owned a hybrid and I know very little about them. I do have a 80 mile round trip to work so the mpg would definitely help. The car just seemed to have almost everything I had been looking for on the luxury lots.

I'm still not sure though...I really like having an suv and would prefer a hatch over the truck. I guess I just don't know since it's not like anything I have owned before. I did negotiate a deal via email for 25k without TTL. I am supposed to go Monday after work and finalize everything but now I am having second thoughts. Would you buy yours all over again? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Two weeks ago I sold my Jeep Wrangler. I have been on the hunt for a new car ever since then. I was in a Suburban prior to my Jeep and have usually driven larger SUVs; I have had two cars that were Acuras.

Last weekend I looked at suvs at Acura, BMW, Audi, and Infiniti. I figured since I was getting out of my Jeep I would go back to all the bells and whistles I had before. After looking all day I wasn't crazy about anything so I headed to Honda. We have a Fit that we bought as a commuter car (70k in 2 years) and every time I drive it I think "this is all anyone really needs"...now what I need and what I want are two different things!

I ran across an Insight in the lot and was shocked at how low the price was considering everything that was included in the touring model. I have never owned a hybrid and I know very little about them. I do have a 80 mile round trip to work so the mpg would definitely help. The car just seemed to have almost everything I had been looking for on the luxury lots.

I'm still not sure though...I really like having an suv and would prefer a hatch over the truck. I guess I just don't know since it's not like anything I have owned before. I did negotiate a deal via email for 25k without TTL. I am supposed to go Monday after work and finalize everything but now I am having second thoughts. Would you buy yours all over again? Thanks for the help.
The Insight is priced really well with lots of standard features. Don't let the low price make you think it's not a quality car. This is my first hybrid and after driving it for a couple of months... Don't think I want to go back to a car that gets under 40mpg, lol. Have you try test driving the Accord Hybrid? It might be better if you prefer a bigger car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,061 Posts
Can you tell us about the 80-mile commute you have? Speeds and terrain types affect mileage significantly. As far as "all anyone really needs" goes, unless you load the SUV up with people or tow stuff, you're likely right - it's really all one would need.

I picked an Insight over a Civic (the Fit just seemed to tinny) due to the better ride and better appointments. That said, I've never been a big car kind of guy. I have a 100-mile commute, so efficiency was way up on my list. I came from a 32mpg 1999 Civic to a 60mpg Insight and couldn't be happier. All of the tech was a bonus.

That said, don't rush into anything. Weigh the pros and cons. Do you really need an SUV? Why? Will your insurance go up or down? The cost to purchase would likely be cheaper for the Insight, as would the cost to operate. Small cars have their advantages.

I would do it again. You should look into why and be comfortable. The Insight is a good car. I'm 13,000 miles in, and still happy with my decision.

Don't let a dealer force you to move quickly. I'm sure if you went back in a month or two, you could still get the same deal (or better).

- Don

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I've been happy with my Insight, and would recommend it to others IF they are prepared to adapt their driving technique and/or expectations.

Did you have opportunity to test drive the Insight while at the Honda dealer? Aside from the Fit, it sounds like you're coming from cars that have more power. behind them. Hybrid response and performance is very different from gas engines (let alone larger engines), and you'll need to adjust your driving technique if fuel efficiency is a goal.

Also give thought to the type of commute that you have - specifically the terrain and traveling speed. Long drives don't directly translate into better mileage from a hybrid, and you'll notice that the city mpg rating is higher than the highway mpg rating for the Insight. You get the best mpg performance when the car operates in a combination of gas/electric mode, but the electric engine only kicks on in certain (lower load) conditions. If your drive is mostly highway (55+ mph) or includes many uphill climbs, you'll find the gas engine working more and won't realize as much fuel savings benefit from the electric engine.

The price you've negotiated sounds good for a Touring; 25k is right around the MSRP for an EX. And since we're ending the 2019 model year for the Insight, deals may get even better the closer you get to Jun/Jul. My suggestion is to be sure it's the right car for your expectations and conditions...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I drove test drove the touring and the EX models. The EX seemed to have more umph. I was quite surprised at the peppyness of this car. It is fun to drive. I purchased the EX.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did drive the touring, and although it was just a quick test drive, I felt the power was fine. My Jeep had 35 inch tires and a 3 inch lift so I have been in a sluggish vehicle the past three years. Anything seems more powerful!

My commute is a little over halfway highway and the rest is country backroads where the speed limit varies between 40-55. Although they are are some twists and turns in the road it is relatively flat.

Honestly, I would be thrilled with 40 mpg. I have learned to drive the Fit (manual transmission) to maximize the mileage. I'm a sucker for seeing the mpg and trying to beat it!

I'm taking my son to sit in the back seat today. It's a rarity these days if we are all in the same car but since both boys and husband are over 6 ft I want to make sure everyone fits.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I drove test drove the touring and the EX models. The EX seemed to have more umph. I was quite surprised at the peppyness of this car. It is fun to drive. I purchased the EX.
Interesting observation... I only test drove EX's because I had already decided Touring features were more than I wanted. I'm guessing the extra pick-up you felt on the EX relates to smaller tires (16" vs 17") and lighter weight (3047 lb vs 3085 lb) - since I think all other drivetrain features are the same on both trims.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
My commute is a little over halfway highway and the rest is country backroads where the speed limit varies between 40-55. Although they are are some twists and turns in the road it is relatively flat.

Honestly, I would be thrilled with 40 mpg. I have learned to drive the Fit (manual transmission) to maximize the mileage. I'm a sucker for seeing the mpg and trying to beat it!
From the commute you described, 40 mpg is more than do-able for the Insight. Just expect that highway driving and any flat stretches of backroad drive will tend to bring down your overall mpg average. (BTW - the highest mpg that the car will register is 199.9, if it starts in EV/electric mode and drives in that condition for a while. It's kind of a geeky mpg rush!)

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,061 Posts
I'm taking my son to sit in the back seat today. It's a rarity these days if we are all in the same car but since both boys and husband are over 6 ft I want to make sure everyone fits.

I was surprised how much headroom was in my EX Insight. I do not go for sunroofs due to the headroom they take up. The back seat was surprisingly roomy. When I first saw the Insight in the showroom, I sat in the back seat before I sat up front. I'm 6'2" and fit in the back seat with no issues.

Regarding your commute, once accustomed to the nuances of hybrid driving, there is no reason you shouldn't hit MPG numbers in the 50s.

As far as EX vs. Touring, most reviews have placed the EX model in the sweet spot in terms of bang-for-the-buck. That said, some members of this forum have gotten killer deals on Touring models.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You don’t mention where you live. Take note that if you live in a cold weather state ( I’m in Minnesota) you will be disappointed in the winter mpg. I’d almost bet that a non-hybrid Civic gets better mpg three months of the year here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm in Texas so the cold weather isn't a big concern. We have 4-5 days of winter :wink:

No concerns about the booster seats either. My kids are older, one in college in Kansas and one will be a senior next year. The majority of the time it's just me in the car so I don't have the need for a larger SUV that I once did.

I think I have convinced myself that this is my next car! I sure love that ivory interior but I will probably go with the black so I won't have to worry as much about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! I love love love my Insight! I, however, am going the opposite direction regarding size. I'm progressing small to large. Prelude to civic to insight. I do live in an area that gets cold, but not frigid winters. My insight ranges 43 to 51 city. And 41 to 49 highway. The lower values occurred during the cold months. I have about a 5 mile commute through hilly suburban streets. I've never driven anywhere flat yet but I would think you should get close to the highway standard. It would be a huge improvement over an SUV. If you buy, I hope you love it as much as I love mine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I live in Florida so I have similar flat roads and warm weather. I just traded in a small sporty SUV with a manual transmission for an Insight EX in crimson red with the ivory interior. Since I use my car for my own delivery service, I was concerned about losing the hatchback as well as the higher seating position. While I do miss those features, I must say that the trunk is roomy and fits my requirements the majority of the time. Only when it’s raining does it become an issue, as a hatch blocks the rain while your putting stuff away whereas with the trunk, you get soaked. Other then that, this car is so smooth and refined, you quickly forget about your old car. I’ve never driven a hybrid before or ever thought I’d be interested in one, but I already find myself driving much more sedately, trying to improve the mileage with the help of the gauges. I’m getting a kick out of the mileage game. I’ve had the car for 5 days and 300 miles and am still driving on the dealer’s free tank with a little under a half tank left. According to the computer, I’m averaging 53mpg! My old Fiat 500X with a 1.4 turbo was only getting 27-28mpg so it’s very exciting. I say go for it...you won’t regret it!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,061 Posts
I live in Florida so I have similar flat roads and warm weather. I just traded in a small sporty SUV with a manual transmission for an Insight EX in crimson red with the ivory interior. Since I use my car for my own delivery service, I was concerned about losing the hatchback as well as the higher seating position. While I do miss those features, I must say that the trunk is roomy and fits my requirements the majority of the time. Only when it’s raining does it become an issue, as a hatch blocks the rain while your putting stuff away whereas with the trunk, you get soaked. Other then that, this car is so smooth and refined, you quickly forget about your old car. I’ve never driven a hybrid before or ever thought I’d be interested in one, but I already find myself driving much more sedately, trying to improve the mileage with the help of the gauges. I’m getting a kick out of the mileage game. I’ve had the car for 5 days and 300 miles and am still driving on the dealer’s free tank with a little under a half tank left. According to the computer, I’m averaging 53mpg! My old Fiat 500X with a 1.4 turbo was only getting 27-28mpg so it’s very exciting. I say go for it...you won’t regret it!
Having the info on the gauges in front of you really helps. You can set the trip meters (there are two) to reset automatically at ignition off and tank full refuel. I keep the Trip-A meter (reset at ignition-off) in front of me during drives. Set a few way-points and try to beat your numbers! In Florida, you should be able to post some killer numbers if you aren't a lead-foot on the highway!

·
Registered
188 Posts
One nice thing about the Insight is the trunk! Keeps things hidden from prying eyes. My climbing equipment I'm not using is stashed there while at the crag, and my car doesn't get
broken into. It really is a wonderful car. I'm beginning NOT to miss my 2005 Civic Hybrid with the 5-speed. Since I sit in traffic more these days, it's wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
One nice thing about the Insight is the trunk! Keeps things hidden from prying eyes. My climbing equipment I'm not using is stashed there while at the crag, and my car doesn't get
broken into. It really is a wonderful car. I'm beginning NOT to miss my 2005 Civic Hybrid with the 5-speed. Since I sit in traffic more these days, it's wonderful!
I had great memories of my 2009 civic, was there for 9 years of my life plus all the stupid things I accidentally did to it, never stranded me, or gave me an expensive repair bill. I think I forgot about the Civic once I started using brake hold more and seeing the MPGs on the display audio tablet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
836 Posts
The only major drawback to Texas is your highway speeds are high. At 80-85 I can get ~40mpg, but I'm also dealing with a lot of elevation changes.

Would we buy the Insight again, absolutely. It isn't the fastest car I've owned, it isn't the quietest in the mountains, but for daily commutes it's the perfect car for us. The best part is that as a whole package the car works. The driver centric layout isn't too prohibitive to the passenger, the technology works for support to driving, and comfort. Although no front lumbar adjustments, the seats seem comfortable, even on long drives. So far we've had no complaints from back seat passengers (other than no USB ports), and stopping at the gas station to fill it, is actually kind of fun, especially when you consider ~500 miles from ~20$ ($30 for our Californian friends).

The Electric a/c would be a godsend in the Texas heat. If you don't have a carport or a shady spot to park in, the remote start will "pre-cool" the cabin to 72, while not as cold as a HEB, it still feels good, and helps cool the battery pack down as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
I would buy another Insight if my current one got wrecked. Not going to buy another car that gets under 40mpg and will never drive a Prius(at least not the current gen).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts