Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if people could please post pics your Insights with different percentages of tint and type of tint (carbon/ceramic/etc)? Looking to do this as my first "mod" :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Air 80 clear on the front? Does it cut down on the heat significantly while keeping clarity? I understand it can be pricey. I’m thinking of going that route here in FL along with Llumar 15/30 everywhere else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Air 80 clear on the front? Does it cut down on the heat significantly while keeping clarity? I understand it can be pricey. I’m thinking of going that route here in FL along with Llumar 15/30 everywhere else.
I would recommend it. I had Suntek's ceramic 70 on my front windshield on a previous car. I plan on doing a similar percentage on the insight's front windshield. It helps cut down the cooling time in the cabin after leaving your car under the sun (regardless it's going to get hot). Especially more so since you're in sunny FL :) Clarity with the 70 was not bad, but you can tell from the inside that things are a bit more shaded. If they have something that's completely clear, I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Here's another post I saw with post-tint picture and % tint detail mentioned. (Some other posts mention getting tint but are missing picture or % tint detail. Hopefully those forum members can show off their tint here too!)

@ScubaGuy - Rayno Phantom S9-20 64% TSER Carbon Ceramic, 93% IR, 99.9% UV
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/10166-post77.html

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic Window Tint, 25%

all around, but not on the windshield.

Yes it is illegal to have this tint on driver side door but if i were get to pull over, I would roll windows down. Tint laws in California are 70% VLT so I am way past that.

It costed $399 for me. Quite expensive, but I live in California.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts

Yes it is illegal to have this tint on driver side door but if i were get to pull over, I would roll windows down. Tint laws in California are 70% VLT so I am way past that.

So how did they handle the fact that the back windows (at least) already had tint? Did they tint over what was there or remove it ?(sorry for dumb questions but I don't know how this works).

Also, I notice you have a sun screen in your window. Is it made for the Insight?

·
Registered
15 Posts
So how did they handle the fact that the back windows (at least) already had tint? Did they tint over what was there or remove it ?(sorry for dumb questions but I don't know how this works).

Also, I notice you have a sun screen in your window. Is it made for the Insight?

As far as I'm concerned, the pre-existing tint of the windows is not aftermarket (aka factory tint). The factory tint means that the glass itself is tinted which means the company just applied the aftermarket tint over the glass. Factory tint can't be removed. I knew the car had factory tint but if it was only back windows then adding an extra layer of tint would make the back windows darker. However, i didn't notice anything.

The sun screen, I'm pretty sure, is just from a random store because I used it for my previous car which was a '07 Nissan Altima. The sunscreen is huge and i have to fold one layer in to fit the windshield. Might consider finding a more conforming shade.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts

Just a heads up, be careful having the sun shade reflecting heat behind the camera (Not sure from your pics if you have a cut out around the camera area).

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I so wish I could tint my car properly. Since I live in NJ and am a peaceful, law-abiding citizen, I can't have tint on the front door windows. The Insight would look a bit dorky with just the back windows tinted. Dare I try and just remove it when I get my first ticket? I do have a lifetime gold PBA card if that's any help.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I so wish I could tint my car properly. Since I live in NJ and am a peaceful, law-abiding citizen, I can't have tint on the front door windows. The Insight would look a bit dorky with just the back windows tinted. Dare I try and just remove it when I get my first ticket? I do have a lifetime gold PBA card if that's any help.
Same issue here in NY. You can't get your car inspected legally with tint. And you can get ticketed as well. I'd love to add just a bit, as I'm not into the super dark restricting tints, though I've been looking into clear tints, just can't justify the price for 4ish months a year of penetrating sunlight.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Was wondering - do you have any type of extra tint applied to your windows? In photos of your "dash cam" installation, I had the impression you had some tint on already. In particular, the attached picture (with contrasting grass color in the background) gave me that impression. Did you stick with just the default factory/windshield tint level instead?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Was wondering - do you have any type of extra tint applied to your windows? In photos of your [url="https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/3076-post10.html]"dash cam" installation[/url], I had the impression you had some tint on already. In particular, the attached picture (with contrasting grass color in the background) gave me that impression. Did you stick with just the default factory/windshield tint level instead?
Nope. Mine is totally stock. Honda must have a bit of tint from the factory, but I don't know the % number. Anyone?

Oh, and I'm going to redo that wiring when the heat backs off a bit. I was in a rush at the time I initially did it.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts

Just a heads up, be careful having the sun shade reflecting heat behind the camera (Not sure from your pics if you have a cut out around the camera area).
Hard to tell, but yes, there is a cutout behind the camera.

Same issue here in NY. You can't get your car inspected legally with tint. And you can get ticketed as well. I'd love to add just a bit, as I'm not into the super dark restricting tints, though I've been looking into clear tints, just can't justify the price for 4ish months a year of penetrating sunlight.
I've just read up on annual inspections because California doesn't have those. Unfortunately, New York and 14 other states do. I like the dark tints because my car is dark grey so they pair well together.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I had the same reason for not going with tint since summer only last 3-4 months in Boston. My Insight is white and the glass windows already come with some factory tint which should help mitigate some heat.

Nope. Mine is totally stock. Honda must have a bit of tint from the factory, but I don't know the % number. Anyone?

Oh, and I'm going to redo that wiring when the heat backs off a bit. I was in a rush at the time I initially did it.
All of the glass windows come with factory tint except the front windshield. @insightfully has one of my threads linked if you want to see the pictures.

I've just read up on annual inspections because California doesn't have those. Unfortunately, New York and 14 other states do. I like the dark tints because my car is dark grey so they pair well together.
I'm surprised California doesn't have annual inspections. In MA, I get charged $35 per year to get a mandatory inspection even on a new car. Inspectors can fail you if you have too much tint or even no front license plate. :plain:

·
Registered
836 Posts
California has inspections, but not for tint. They have Smog (a more strict version of our emissions) and safety inspections.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts