Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little off-topic but I was thinking about adding the side markers (front fenders) from the current gen civic to my Insight but didn’t want to cut the fender. I mean I could but it could be expensive (who knows).. or even get a clear or amber side marker from the s2000 and cut a slot for the side marker on fender.. I’m not sure how the wiring would work though.. maybe splice into the front turn signal wiring with a new wiring?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw: this is the most organized internet forum I’ve ever been on .. nothing is off topic without being moved or put under new thread.. (hopefully this post doesn’t get moved to a new off-topic thread).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the existing side markers are very sleek and subtle as it blends in the headlights. But if you want to add lamps, perhaps you can tap on the existing side marker wires. Instead of cutting the car body or bumper, try finding a thin piece of led and install it on top of the surface.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t really consider those side markers as they are not easily visible from the side..

I don’t know why the insight didn’t come with real side markers..

For such a highly rated vehicle in terms of safety, I think they really should’ve put on side markers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait..,I had to rethink what you were talking about on the front lens.

I haven’t inspected the front lens too much, but I’m assuming you’re talking about something that’s not a part of the headlight system.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It would be interesting thing to see if all the cars that have really high safety ratings have side markers or not. I think the Insight may be an exception.

Edit: I just looked through IIHS top safety picks for 2019 and scrolled through the pics of cars they have listed and majority don’t have them. I have to mention Tesla 3 had one as I was just in a Tesla showroom today and wanted to see if that little attachment on front fender was actually a side marker and indeed it is (but it’s one of the few top safety picks that actually does).

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I don’t really consider those side markers as they are not easily visible from the side..

I don’t know why the insight didn’t come with real side markers..

For such a highly rated vehicle in terms of safety, I think they really should’ve put on side markers.
I think we're all talking the same areas as being the side markers on the Insight:

Many aspects of the Insight are based on the Civic, but the front is more like the Accord. (I can still hear my sales person saying this during the sale.) The car widths are also different with the Civic at 70.8", Insight at 71.6", and Accord at 73.3." It's only a ~1 inch difference between the Civic and Insight, but Honda seems to have used that extra 1/2" on each side to implant side markers that are like the Accord.

Like @bryan, I think the existing side markers look more 'mature' while the Civic looks more 'sporty.' It is definitely a more subtle look on the Insight, but at least the US model gets yellow tinted front markers (versus clear front markers for Japan's model).

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
It would be interesting thing to see if all the cars that have really high safety ratings have side markers or not. I think the Insight may be an exception.

Edit: I just looked through IIHS top safety picks for 2019 and scrolled through the pics of cars they have listed and majority don’t have them. I have to mention Tesla 3 had one as I was just in a Tesla showroom today and wanted to see if that little attachment on front fender was actually a side marker and indeed it is (but it’s one of the few top safety picks that actually does).
I noticed similar and added comparison picture below. Among the other 'small cars' in the Insight's class of "IIHS Top Safety Pick+" all of them have side markers that are built in to the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just looking at random cars on the road today and noticed a lot of older cars with the fender side marker and looking at those IIHS pics, you will notice the evolution of the side marker.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Somewhat off topic, somewhat on topic rambling...

For what it is worth, in my quest to make all my cars European legal... {amber rear turn signals which the Insight already had even though I have no intention of ever taking them to Europe} ... I learned all vehicles operated in the United States made after a year I do not recall are required by law to have front and rear side markers. With that said, they do not have to be lit, a reflector is good enough as they are not required to function as a turn signal too.

But each manufacturer is different and even different trims of cars have different set ups of side markers. My Challenger's front side markers are wired directly to the headlights, while the rear are reflectors. Some trims/options have lit rears, some have a separate circuit for the whole system. My Silverado, that is a bit more complicated, they are tied into the headlights and the hazards, but not the turn signal.

Anyhow, back to the point... tape and a Dremel tool make a nice, clean cut. Start too small, sand to finish. A lot of stand alone side markers just snap into place. The wheel well covers come off very easy so you can get to the back. I would roam around a junk yard and find some side markers you like because the biggest problem you will find if there is not some sort of kit... finding the plugs to hook them up. As recent events have taught me, getting to the headlights is a scientific impossibility without severe disassembly of your front end {exaggerating, slightly}. If you go that far, you are more than welcome to sign up for Honda's Site and send me the wiring prints. I could design a circuit for you that turns them on and off for whatever set up you like without leaching power, dimming your other lights. I give you my utmost assurance that your car will probably, maybe not catch on fire after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts