Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was in the middle of a 350 mile day trip when I got a frantic call from home. The driver side mirror was busted and that she couldn't go to the grocery store, and the car would not be drivable without the side mirror. My suggestion was to call the dealer, have them tow the car to the dealer and get the mirror replaced. I know this will cost a fortune, but I really don't care.

Instead, I was annoyingly summoned to head home, for a car that doesn't get 50 miles of use a week and we have multiple vehicles. When I got home, the car wasn't there, as it was discovered that the car could be driven to the grocery store without a working mirror. Who would have thought? Couldn't I just have went on my day trip?

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Tire

First thing I did was to get my plastic pry tools, remove the mirror by pulling off the triangle window moulding or whatever its called, but Honda has seemed to changed the design and the door panel needs to come off. That's too much work, so l YouTube's this video for a Civic and it looked liked I could just replace the broken pieces and I just happens the harness was spared.

So two routes were taken.

Route 1: Dealer parts gave us a quote of $399 for the LH Mirror assembly and around $67 for the white skull cap, but since the skull cap was spared, I didn't need this. Labor.. I estimated this to be 2 hrs (the service department never picked up the phone). 1 to 3 days for availability. So all in all I'm thinking, with labor and tax, close to $700.

BTW, does anybody know where to find the mirror assemblies in Honda's e catalo

Route #2: Since I already aborted my day trip and came home, the day was a complete loss, so I decided to source parts to replace the broken housing and glass, while reusable the white skull cap.

Bumper Automotive exterior Tool Auto part Bicycle part

Took me a while, cause I couldn't figure out where mirrors lie on the Honda eParts catalog, but I manages to find the parts on Honda Parts now and they were identical to the PNs the dealer gave me.

So for roughly $80 less tax and shipping, I have a fix.

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Number

I also priced it out with another dealer, which was 10% cheaper than the first dealer I called.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

So now just have to wait for the parts to arrive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll be interested to see how long it takes for your parts to arrive. I just recently had to have the same mirror replaced and the mirror assembly was on order for 6 weeks, the install only took the dealer 20 minutes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My parts arrived today, so 9 days. From Honda Tennessee to Honda Parts Now which is actually a dealer in North Hollywood CA, then to my house about 60 miles away.

So the bigger problem is I broke one of these plastic ball studs whatever it is supposed to be call when transferring from the old mirror to the new. That ball studs / ball pins seems to be a part of the motor assembly.

Anybody know where I can source that ball stud / ball pin? Or what it's even called?

It's broken off in the second pic. I don't see it on the parts explosion, so it might not be procurable. I'll visit the dealer on Mon and hopefully they can help me out... Else I am screwed.

Plastic ball studs from old mirror needs to be transferred over. They are used for the motor to move the mirror.
Photograph White Light Bicycle part Font

Snap it's broken off now.
Gas Font Electronic instrument Auto part Automotive wheel system

LH hsg set

Light Automotive exterior Bumper Handgun holster Trigger

ONe option for have is to buy a used civic mirror just to get those pins

But at that cost, I might as well just buy a whole new OE one. $236 plus tax and ship. I'll lose 20% restock for the parts I bought and lose on the shipping both ways.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pretty sure that is what happened here as well. Also pretty sure you will need another new mirror. In that thread is the Honda parts illustration for it. If you are bold you can try a product like plastic weld {you can find it at a home improvement or auto store with the glues and epoxies}, but that stuff is normally just a temporary fix and will give way eventually.

If you are going to troll eBay though, keep a look out for damaged mirrors for parts only. Normally they go pretty cheap.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this actuator motor. For $28 bucks...I can harvest that ball pin.

The pin actually broke in the new mirror and I destroyed the ball getting it out. Reading around it seems to be a common problem. Most just replace the sub assy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my word of advice... Don't screw around piece parting this thing around... Just spend the $236 plus tax plus ship and just buy a whole new mirror assembly or buy a knockoff from ebay. I ended up breaking the replacement mirror.

Here is the mirror actuator. Honda PN T5A. It's the same as Civic. Came out of some supplier in Houston.

Photograph White Light Product Black

I harvested the pin, lined them with silicone grease and tapped them into the mirror assy with a hammer. Be careful to line up the pin on the ball with the slot in the socket. Use a needle nose pliers to steady the pin when you tap.

Fluid Automotive tire Gas Wood Auto part

I epoxy repaired a broken tab on the Mirror Sub Assy and assembled the new housing set. It looks sloppy but it's super strong.

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Bumper

Assemble the new plastic housing set, install the three screws, thread the mirror wires through tye housing set and then install tye skull cap.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Helmet Automotive lighting

Lastly, line up the pins, more silicone grease, push on the center of the mirror and hope everything aligns. I failed on the first try, where only the center ball and 1 pin seated. I pulled the mirror out, did it again only to crack the new mirror. At least this crack is less severe than the original.

The trick to installing is to use it only pressure to from your palm onto the center point of the glass to press in. I'm certain at the mirror factory, they have special tooling to do this mirror insertion that needs to be precise but also needs a lot of force. I'll make a piece of tooling or something with plywood next week in my garage. If I have time, I'll 3D print a tool at work.

Vision care Automotive side-view mirror Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Lastly, get on Honda Parts Now and order another mirror for $53 including tax and ship and try not to get too upset. I have invested so much time and money into this, it's way better just to buy the whole mirror assy for $236 plus tax and tip. The installation is easier and there's no risk if breaking the glass or other difficult to procure parts.

So far my expenditures..

$101.50 Housing Set and Mirror #1 (Honda Parts now)
$34 Actuator (eBay)
$53 Mirror #2 (Honda Parts Now)
$4 silicone grease

$188 total so far and counting.

·
Registered
2019 EX Space Gray
61 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry about the cracked mirror :( I had to epoxy the cover on our other vehicle after cracking it on the garage door frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts