Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that ACC refuses to engage below 45 mph, but I recently read a post on this forum that there's another feature that works at much lower speeds (20-30 mph).

Is this true, and if so, how can I use it?

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I think you might be referring to this thread on "Trusting ACC and CMBS", where we discussed that the Honda manual states ACC works >25 mph, but forum member experience is that it works up to complete stop.

If this is the thread you recall reading, there isn't an alternative to ACC. Instead, it's that people have found ACC works in speed ranges that are beyond/below what Honda specifies/warns.

If there's a different/specific thread you're thinking of, please share here so that we can help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I think it was 'hasarad's comment "I use the low-speed-follow along with ACC" which suggested that it was an additional feature. So "low-speed-follow along" is really ACC?

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
ACC and LSF are separate systems, but work together to determine vehicle speed, following interval, and deceleration needs when ACC is activated. LSF isn't a feature you can select on its own.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. So ACC should work between 25 and 45 mph? I tried it today, and it refused, although I forget the exact message.

Another question: the following interval is adjustable, isn't it? I seem to remember a driver information display that showed yards (and was blank, as I was stopped), but I couldn't seem to find it afterward.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Thanks. So ACC should work between 25 and 45 mph? I tried it today, and it refused, although I forget the exact message.

Another question: the following interval is adjustable, isn't it? I seem to remember a driver information display that showed yards (and was blank, as I was stopped), but I couldn't seem to find it afterward.
You should be able to set ACC/LSF when driving at a speed that is 25 mph or higher. The interval is set using the "interval" button on the right side bottom of steering wheel controls.

If you haven't already, you can request a hard copy or download a soft copy of the Owners Manual using the links below. The Owners Manual provides more information than the Owners Guide that is included in the glovebox upon delivery; the attached pages are excerpts from the Owners Manual for your quick reference:

Hard Copy order (VIN w/in 6 mo of purchase) - https://owners.honda.com/manualrequest/2019/Insight
Downloadable PDF of Owners Manual - http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATXM1919OM/enu/ATXM1919OM.PDF

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you can't activate the ACC when using the brake unless at a complete stop. When I am at a complete stop and don't want to use the brake hold, I just hit the set ACC and it engages the Brake lock "Stopped". I have used the ACC during rush hour traffic but I have to think, at what point will the tech give out and I rear end someone. I'm kinda worried about relying tooo much on the tech. It is awesome though.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think you can't activate the ACC when using the brake unless at a complete stop. When I am at a complete stop and don't want to use the brake hold, I just hit the set ACC and it engages the Brake lock "Stopped". I have used the ACC during rush hour traffic but I have to think, at what point will the tech give out and I rear end someone. I'm kinda worried about relying tooo much on the tech. It is awesome though.
Always keep your foot ready to brake, if for some reason the radar doesn't see the car in front of you, it will start to accelerate, CMBS won't recognize the stopped car in front of you and you will rear end them. These driver aids were never designed to fully replace us, the driver; just simply make our jobs a little easier when we choose to use them.

As for the Distance indicators, they are speed sensitive, so it's not a set number of yards at all speeds. The closest setting is approximately 10% longer than the stopping distance at that speed. Generally I leave it at 3 bars, I find that 4 bars is just too much follow distance to avoid people constantly cutting in between. If I'm following someone, I'll run it at 2 bars. The closest setting is just too close for my comfort, factoring in human reaction time, in case of an emergency, I don't feel comfortable with that follow distance.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
As for the Distance indicators, they are speed sensitive, so it's not a set number of yards at all speeds. The closest setting is approximately 10% longer than the stopping distance at that speed. Generally I leave it at 3 bars, I find that 4 bars is just too much follow distance to avoid people constantly cutting in between. If I'm following someone, I'll run it at 2 bars. The closest setting is just too close for my comfort, factoring in human reaction time, in case of an emergency, I don't feel comfortable with that follow distance.
:nerd: As a geeky math add...

The interval button sets a time selection (seconds). The fixed time selection (seconds) multiplied by the speed traveled in that amount of time (mph) determines following interval - which is why the distance varies as speed varies. The interval time selection varies from short (1.1 sec) to extra long (2.9 sec).

Summary (from manual) of what this looks like at 50 mph and 65 mph is in the attachment below... AND here's example of how the math works for the "Long" setting (2.1 seconds) at 50 mph:

50 mph = 73.333 ft per sec --> 73.333 ft x 2.1 sec = 154 ft interval = ~10 car lengths

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts