Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The use of the roller for display selection and not volume has been really bugging me lately.

It's intuitive to roller up and down to adjust the volume. I keep on rolling the roller to adjust the volume but instead it just does something with that multifunction display. I think Honda got it right by having track skip to the left and right of the roller... But it should have been a 5 way roller.

Roll up and down to adjust volume. Roller moves /clicks left and right to skip tracks. Push in to select which it already does. all the audio functions can be contained to a single 5 way roller switch. This eliminates the two separate track buttons.

Re-assign the VOL + and VOL- buttons to use for Up and Dn in the multifunction display.

I just find it odd that the centerpiece of that cluster of buttons is the roller, but it's actually something you would use a lot less than the volume, so why is the roller the centerpiece?

Then there's the 3 talk voice command buttons. I could never understand stand why there are separate talk, hang up and voice. All you really need are a talk and hangup correct? You wouldn't give a voice command while talking on the phone, so either the talk or voice button could be eliminated.

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
Rotary dials have a tendency to wear out over time, so perhaps they figured that using it as the volume control would wear it out faster since it would get more use.

Coming from the 2nd Gen Insight I was used to the volume being buttons, but what threw me off was the track skip buttons. They were up and down like the volume buttons.

What's funny is that the 2nd Gen actually had the two-button phone setup that you are wanting. Just an answer button and a hang-up button. To do voice commands (Siri) you had to press and hold the answer button. Perhaps too many people were confused and didn't understand how to use the voice command, so they made it a separate button. 🤷‍♂️

On the 2nd Gen, the menu buttons were on the bottom right and the "select" button was actually behind the wheel below the right paddle shifter. You can barely make it out in the shadow.

Second Gen layout

·
Registered
238 Posts
Funny thing, not that anyone would ever make it for this car due to the low numbers, but those switches are actually programmable. Part of the LIN bus logic.

There are products out there like Tazer that someone has gone in and cracked the code and allow you to control what buttons do. There might be something out there for the Civics that would work on the Insight too. Might be worth a look if it upsets you that much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ahh... So the mouth is a voice command button. I didn't even know the Insight had voice commands outside of Android Auto. My 2013 Accord had voice commands too with 3 buttons but the performance was so poor I didn't bother. Honda never had any updates for the hardware.

It really just needs to be two buttons or 1 physical button with a screen button. Call/answer/voice is a single button. The other button is a hangup and is really only needed to dismiss/hangup a call when it is ringing.

If a call comes in, you could either hit dismiss/hangup from the display after viewing the number from the display (optionally a hangup button on the steering wheel).

To answer, press the single answer/voice/call button. to hang up the call, the voice/answer/call button could be pressed again.

To issue a voice command, you wouldn't be either talking or hanging up, hitting the voice/call/answer button works.

Personally I would not use the in car voice command as Honda would likely never update it. The Android auto commands those are constantly updated to improve so I would only use that.

In my Model 3 and initially I never used the voice commands when I bought the car as it was not very good, but as the voice recognition was improved and functionality expanded over time, it became very good and it's now indispensable. I now seldom use the screen to navigate or make a call anymore.

Android Auto can make improvements, but don't expect Honda to.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
Android Auto can make improvements, but don't expect Honda to.
Pretty much why CarPlay and Android Auto is a must for me when buying any vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts