Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best deal anyone has received on the Sirius XM renewal? It is my understanding if you let the service expire they will call with a special deal.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got 6 months for 38.26 including fees and tax. That’s not all access, just the basic plan. I’ve gotten yearly deals in the past too, but the last time this was the best they offered. I usually call them a day or so before it would renew and ask to cancel. It’s takes saying no until about their third offer before I agree. Or sometimes I just ask right up front for their best deal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was offered an extra 3 months of "free trial" (for $2 administrative fee) when it was <1 week from expiration.
Same here. I'm sure it was just their way of getting my credit card info in hopes I'll forget to call and "cancel" at the end of the three months, but couldn't turn down three months for $2. They also offered me a free Sirius portable radio (just pay for shipping). Didn't bother with that offer although I'm sure they would offer it again if asked. They also offer to set you up with a reminder email before your subscription "renews" automatically in case you want to cancel. Just be sure to ask that they enable that reminder for you.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
I was offered an extra 3 months of "free trial" (for $2 administrative fee) when it was <1 week from expiration.
I didn't use my trial subscription and got the same offer in the mail. They also called my phone a couple of times before my trial expired.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just tried to cancel my trial plan and they offered me a 1 year plan with a one time payment of $72.82 or monthly at $6.06, good for one year. Tried to say that was too much so he started to cancel my account, so I had him stop and went ahead and did the one year payment up front. Given I take a tool road each day to work with costs me as much per day as this plan costs me per month, it was a no brainer, even though I only listen to the 70/80/90's channels on occasion. At least I am helping SirusXM stay in business. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
Just tried to cancel my trial plan and they offered me a 1 year plan with a one time payment of $72.82 or monthly at $6.06, good for one year. Tried to say that was too much so he started to cancel my account, so I had him stop and went ahead and did the one year payment up front. Given I take a tool road each day to work with costs me as much per day as this plan costs me per month, it was a no brainer, even though I only listen to the 70/80/90's channels on occasion. At least I am helping SirusXM stay in business. :)
I called at the end of my trial to cancel stating the monthly cost was too much. The immediately offered $7/month for the intermediate plan (I don't listen to Howard) for one year. I took it and then set a reminder in my calendar to call again just short of a year to do the same thing again. A co-worker has been doing this with Sirius/XM for several years and always gets a new deal. Give it a try!

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
I subscribed for 6 months at $5/month(select plan+music royalty fee+tax) so they would stop junk mailing and calling me...

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
I subscribed for 6 months at $5/month(select plan+music royalty fee+tax) so they would stop junk mailing and calling me...
Good strategy for 6 months of peace/quiet! Sirius sure is persistent. I think they only permanently cease/desist when specifically asked to be removed from distribution.

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
My trial ends next month. I got an offer for the select plan for $60 for 12 months plus the fees.
Paid up front or monthly? That sounds like the monthly rate I got when you factor in "fees."

·
Registered
82 Posts
Paid up front or monthly? That sounds like the monthly rate I got when you factor in "fees."
Upfront... I have been calling to cancel every 6 months in my truck and continue to get the $5 month plan plus fees. That is all I am willing to pay. Even that sometimes I feel is too much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Never been a believer in satellite radio. Why pay more for just more commercials. Don't listen during the free period, why pay more for later. :-(

·
Registered
455 Posts
Never been a believer in satellite radio. Why pay more for just more commercials. Don't listen during the free period, why pay more for later. :-(
No commercials on the channels I listen to. Mostly classic rock. Plus I take a lot of cross country trips and like not having to search for channels every hour.

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
I listen to the news channels during my work commute. I can't get the major news stations any other way except Siruis/XM. For me, it's either satellite radio or using my data plan. Terrestrial radio doesn't cut it in the back-hills country of NWNJ.

Since my r/t commute is three hours, $7/month for satellite radio is more than worth it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My trial ends next month. I got an offer for the select plan for $60 for 12 months plus the fees.
I just did my semi-annual dance with them and also got the 12mo/$60 deal (+fees). Not bad, I've been doing 6mo/$30 on my other car for years - now I only have to call them once a year. I set a calendar reminder to cancel/call them so I don't forget.

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
Good strategy for 6 months of peace/quiet! Sirius sure is persistent. I think they only permanently cease/desist when specifically asked to be removed from distribution.
SO... I received an interesting piece of Sirius-related mail this week. I thought it was another unsolicited marketing ploy from Sirius... since they've ONLY contacted me twice a month since I've owned my car. But it turned out to be notice of eligibility for a class-action settlement from Sirius.

Sirius 'allegedly' contacted people using information from free trial memberships, regardless of whether individuals were on the "Do Not Call List" or not. Sirius is choosing to settle and is offering affected people EITHER ~$12 cash OR a 3-month subscription (which they value at $81).

Here's the link to the official settlement website for Sirius: https://siriusxmdnctcpasettlement.com/
- You're included in the class-action if Sirius communicated with you between 10/16/13 and 4/26/19
- BUT you're excluded if you were a already paid subscriber when Sirius contacted you
- Cash claim must be submitted by 10/8/19, or free service claim must be submitted by 12/22/19
- AND if you want to permanently opt out of contact from Sirius, you can use this link: https://www.siriusxm.com/donotcall

I was surprised to be contacted with this information, but am somewhat grateful because the amount of contact from Sirius was overwhelming. Sirius contacted me more in my first 6 months of ownership than Honda did. And I certainly wasn't given notice that this excess communication would happen, nor the option to opt-out of releasing my info to Sirius when I bought the car. I'm happy to accept the $12 for my trouble...!

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
SO... I received an interesting piece of Sirius-related mail this week. I thought it was another unsolicited marketing ploy from Sirius... since they've ONLY contacted me twice a month since I've owned my car. But it turned out to be notice of eligibility for a class-action settlement from Sirius.

Sirius 'allegedly' contacted people using information from free trial memberships, regardless of whether individuals were on the "Do Not Call List" or not. Sirius is choosing to settle and is offering affected people EITHER ~$12 cash OR a 3-month subscription (which they value at $81).

Here's the link to the official settlement website for Sirius: https://siriusxmdnctcpasettlement.com/
- You're included in the class-action if Sirius communicated with you between 10/16/13 and 4/26/19
- BUT you're excluded if you were a already paid subscriber when Sirius contacted you
- Cash claim must be submitted by 10/8/19, or free service claim must be submitted by 12/22/19
- AND if you want to permanently opt out of contact from Sirius, you can use this link: https://www.siriusxm.com/donotcall

I was surprised to be contacted with this information, but am somewhat grateful because the amount of contact from Sirius was overwhelming. Sirius contacted me more in my first 6 months of ownership than Honda did. And I certainly wasn't given notice that this excess communication would happen, nor the option to opt-out of releasing my info to Sirius when I bought the car. I'm happy to accept the $12 for my trouble...!
Interesting, thanks for the heads up! I was kind of peeved that Honda gave them my information(mostly my phone number) even though I didn't use my 3 months trial once.

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
Been paying $5.00 per month plus music fee of about $1.50 since 2004.
I know, right? When I saw how what Sirius valued themselves at, I laughed and wanted to show them the price info from this thread. But in the end, $12 isn't that far off from $15 ($5/mo x 3 mo) - and I'm still happy to take their free money offer, LOL.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts