Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive an '08 civic, which has been a great car, but the wheel bearing are getting shot and the roaring is becoming quite unbearable. I'm starting grad school in August, which is going to mean 100 miles round-trip a few days a week, and I need something that's going to get great MPG and be a nice ride that doesn't induce a headache considering being on the road at least an hour each direction.

I'm a bit of a Honda fanboy, and I'm one of those to whom the styling of the Prius, inside and out is a major turn off.
When I started thinking about a new car, I knew I wanted a hybrid.
My list included the Hyundai Ioniq, The Insight, and the Kia Niro

I considered the Niro because I'd driven a Nissan Versa note for a month while my car was in the shop after a wreck and I admittedly got used to the riding a little higher up. I knocked the Ioniq off my list because I figured the Honda would retain value a bit better over Hyundai. Once I test drove the Insight, I was in love. I now, pathetically, have actual dreams about having my Insight and driving it around.

I actually took two test drives. The first, I was visiting my mom and she wanted to test drive some of their SUVs so we went to the dealer near her. Sadly that day was a bit drizzly so I was extra cautious/paranoid about driving and hitting something. And with my mom there being a overly nervous passenger, didn't make it a very enjoyable run. a few weeks later, when the weather was much better, I went to the Honda dealer, on my side of town and took another test drive that was much more pleasurable, even though the highway was closed with construction so I didn't get to really punch the throttle to get to highway speeds. Only made me more in love.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The new 2020 Insights should be coming out soon (?) so you should be in great negotiating position if you're looking to buy. And hybrids do well in warm weather, so being in Texas will give you 'better than average' winter mpg. Keep us posted on your purchase journey.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I currently drive an '08 civic, which has been a great car, but the wheel bearing are getting shot and the roaring is becoming quite unbearable. I'm starting grad school in August, which is going to mean 100 miles round-trip a few days a week, and I need something that's going to get great MPG and be a nice ride that doesn't induce a headache considering being on the road at least an hour each direction.

I'm a bit of a Honda fanboy, and I'm one of those to whom the styling of the Prius, inside and out is a major turn off.
When I started thinking about a new car, I knew I wanted a hybrid.
My list included the Hyundai Ioniq, The Insight, and the Kia Niro

I considered the Niro because I'd driven a Nissan Versa note for a month while my car was in the shop after a wreck and I admittedly got used to the riding a little higher up. I knocked the Ioniq off my list because I figured the Honda would retain value a bit better over Hyundai. Once I test drove the Insight, I was in love. I now, pathetically, have actual dreams about having my Insight and driving it around.

I actually took two test drives. The first, I was visiting my mom and she wanted to test drive some of their SUVs so we went to the dealer near her. Sadly that day was a bit drizzly so I was extra cautious/paranoid about driving and hitting something. And with my mom there being a overly nervous passenger, didn't make it a very enjoyable run. a few weeks later, when the weather was much better, I went to the Honda dealer, on my side of town and took another test drive that was much more pleasurable, even though the highway was closed with construction so I didn't get to really punch the throttle to get to highway speeds. Only made me more in love.
I had owned a 09 Civic so I think you will love the Insight(especially night driving with the Insight's LED headlights). It takes awhile to get used to the wider nature of the Insight when parking but everything else is an improvement. The only thing I miss are the cloth seats from the 09 Civic and the location of the digital speedometer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome, and good luck with your decision! A similarly equipped Ioniq was cheaper in our area due to incentives and has a much better warranty, but just about everything else was in favor of the Insight, in my opinion. Insight does ride lower than Ioniq and even more than Niro, and Insight seats seem firmer and more contoured, but those are subjective issues.

We tried a Niro PHEV and EV model and they were reasonable enough, but the ride was very jittery to the point of repeated car sickness for a couple family members. Plus the cargo space was terrible and cabin noise on the highway was notably worse.

Ioniq Hybrid was nice overall, but didn't stand out in any way other than the cloth seats that we thought were really ugly lol. We were very close on a couple very low miles certified Ioniq PHEV Limited/Ultimate deals that would have been about the same price as our Insight Touring. One sold a few hours before our appointment. The other one they wouldn't negotiate from their original price that was too high, but a few weeks later it's dropped over $2000 to where we probably would have bought it. While the plug-in aspect and the more comfortable ventilated seats would have been very nice, just about all the other comparisons favored the Insight for us.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn’t count on it for power and quiet. It’s quiet and plenty powerful for city driving. Even freeway, but on hills or longer drives, you lose mileage and need to keep pushing to get over hills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts