Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound-absorbing Undercovers
Located beneath Insight along both sides of the passenger cabin are absorptive undercovers that help mitigate road and wind noise. Sound-absorbing rear fender inner liners further attenuate wind and road noise.

According to Honda, that material helps mitigate road and wind noise. :smile:
I've never had a car that's had so much road noise as this Insight. It's quiet on the city streets, but get her on the highway and I can't hear myself think. I hate to think what it would sound like without the Sound-absorbing Under covers. I would have thought being 10 years newer this Insight would be quieter than our '08 Odyssey.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That’s weird, I’ve never had one that was this quiet on the road. I enjoy being able to have a conversation at normal volume. But maybe I’ve just been diving really loud cars up until now.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
702 Posts
Sound-absorbing Undercovers
Located beneath Insight along both sides of the passenger cabin are absorptive undercovers that help mitigate road and wind noise. Sound-absorbing rear fender inner liners further attenuate wind and road noise.

According to Honda, that material helps mitigate road and wind noise. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/img]
I've never had a car that's had so much road noise as this Insight. It's quiet on the city streets, but get her on the highway and I can't hear myself think. I hate to think what it would sound like without the Sound-absorbing Under covers. I would have thought being 10 years newer this Insight would be quieter than our '08 Odyssey.
Try driving on the expressway for a couple of weeks without the anc engaged. I know I'll get conflicting responses, but the anc makes a significant difference to the harshness of the road noise.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The thing that most affects road noise for me is the road surface itself. Asphalt being much quieter than concrete.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same - the car seems pretty quiet to me even while on highways.
Driving the car on city streets up to 40 mph yes it is quiet, but once I get on the highway it gets pretty darn loud. Perhaps it's the type of road materials used. On the stretches of highway that's paved BLACK it is extremely quiet, however once I hit the WHITE paved portion of the highway (which is dominant), I hear everything. We've had nothing but Acura's & Volvo's so perhaps that's the difference. I'm comparing apples to oranges and we got spoiled by the apples. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
Driving the car on city streets up to 40 mph yes it is quiet, but once I get on the highway it gets pretty darn loud. Perhaps it's the type of road materials used. On the stretches of highway that's paved BLACK it is extremely quiet, however once I hit the WHITE paved portion of the highway (which is dominant), I hear everything. We've had nothing but Acura's & Volvo's so perhaps that's the difference. I'm comparing apples to oranges and we got spoiled by the apples. :sad:
That might be it since luxury brand cars usually have much quieter cabins compared to the mainstream brand cars. Mainstream brand cars use way less sound deadening material throughout the car. It saves them money plus it adds less weight to the car. I have previously owned 2 Hondas, 1 Ford, and the Insight is the quietest one so far(no rattles either).

The thing that most affects road noise for me is the road surface itself. Asphalt being much quieter than concrete.
Same for me. Most noise is just coming from the tires depending on what type of surface I'm driving on.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
702 Posts
Driving the car on city streets up to 40 mph yes it is quiet, but once I get on the highway it gets pretty darn loud. Perhaps it's the type of road materials used. On the stretches of highway that's paved BLACK it is extremely quiet, however once I hit the WHITE paved portion of the highway (which is dominant), I hear everything. We've had nothing but Acura's & Volvo's so perhaps that's the difference. I'm comparing apples to oranges and we got spoiled by the apples. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/img]
That might be it since luxury brand cars usually have much quieter cabins compared to the mainstream brand cars. Mainstream brand cars use way less sound deadening material throughout the car. It saves them money plus it adds less weight to the car. I have previously owned 2 Hondas, 1 Ford, and the Insight is the quietest one so far(no rattles either).

Same for me. Most noise is just coming from the tires depending on what type of surface I'm driving on.
I agree strenuously on the comment that the tires seem to be the main source of the racket coming from this car. As far as I can tell there is almost no obvious sound deadening materials on this car ( obviously there is some but nothing in your face) and the car itself is pretty quiet. My Ford fusion energi is extremely quiet and I'm shocked at how loud the Honda is in comparison. Also, the anc unit should not be discounted on being a big part of the quietness of the car. I ran with it off for about 2 weeks and while it was subtle at first, it became quite obvious that trying to listen to the stereo or talking on the phone was much less enjoyable and doable compared to when the anc was on. I figure I'll get some disagreement on this, but I stand firmly behind that statement. The anc is not the bane it's portrayed to be by so many. IMNSHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts