Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

SoundSkins Pro - Interior Dampening Project

18K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  IronQQQ 
#1 ·
In an effort to resolve the incredibly annoying rattling from the back deck which kills the sound quality, I decided to apply sound deadening material to the rear deck. I have the Touring with 8" factory sun, so I'm not sure if this problem exists on the LX or EX.

While I was at it, I did the entire rear trunk in preparation for a subwoofer which will come soon.

I also did the front doors which included the inside of the outter door skin, full coverage on the inner panel, and partial coverage on the interior plastic and tweeter housing. This was to increase mid bass response.

This project also included adding felt tape to various areas where plastics make contact and I have notices rattles or ticks. Primary the A pillars and center channel speaker.

Material used was SoundSkins Pro, which includes a layer of rubber butyl, foil, and acoustic foam. It's essentially identical to Dynamat, but significantly lighter and with the addition of the foam. In total I used about 41 sq ft of material (the pack includes 44sq ft) which added about 20-21 lbs to the vehicle.

The results were impressive! Mid bass response has drastically increased and the rear deck and A-Pillar rattles are 100% eliminated.

**More pics in comments

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
More Pics: Felt Tape and Rear Deck Application

Attachments

Discussion starter · #3 ·
More Pics: Tweeters, Doors, and A-Pillars.

Didn't get very many pictures of the doors so you can't see much. It's all covered by the factory padding/liner

Attachments

Discussion starter · #4 ·
These are just random pictures of inside the door panel before any material was applied

Attachments

Discussion starter · #5 ·
For reference, the 8 speaker system in the Touring consists of a 3" as a center channel, 6.5" front door speaker and 1" front tweeters, 6.5" rear deck speakers and 1" tweeters on the rear deck, and finally an 8" subwoofer on rear deck.

For anyone that wants to upgrade speakers without cutting, standard Honda speaker plugs are used so you can Metra part 72-7800 Honda Speaker Harness Adapters for a plug n play solution. I was surprised to find no 6x9s in the setup.

The HD radio module is located on the passenger side behind the panel adjacent to the seat back. So where the rear passengers right shoulder would be.

The OEM amplifier I believe is behind the passenger side kick panel.

ANC module is behind the dashboard above the glovebox.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Hardcore dude. Thanks for the pictures. obviously you're going for a much higher end change over with the type of speakers you were talking about getting before. I'm curious, with audio control only having up to an 8 channel unit to bypass out of the main amp so you can use your own ones, what are you going to do with the two missing channels? Are you going to bridge them with other channels? Have you decided which channels you'll be bridging if necessary?
I actually decided to hold off on that project for a bit. The Touring speakers have great highs and decent clarity. They obviously dont compare to a full system replacement with DSP and active setup, but I think i can live with it for now.

Adding all this deadening really increased mid bass response which means that by adding a sub ill gain the low bass and should have a nice full range sound. When you take the bass out of the speakers using the factory tuning, they clear up a lot. The sub will fill that gap and allow the speakers to really shine.

IF i was still doing the 8ch DSP though, id either skip the center channel and sub, OR id skip ch 7 and 8 which would be the 2 rear tweeters. You already get the highs from the front tweeters. The center ch would need to be pass through though to maintain the voice guidance and system alerts, and the sub could be summed with the rest

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I have an EX, and it's dead quiet. Kudos for your efforts. You can probably hear your own heartbeat with the amount of sound deadening you've installed!
Yeah the Sub in the Touring really made the rear deck rattle pretty bad, even at low volumes. My A-Pillar also rattled and ticked over every little bump and it drove me nuts!

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I have an EX, and it's dead quiet. Kudos for your efforts. You can probably hear your own heartbeat with the amount of sound deadening you've installed!
Yeah the Sub in the Touring really made the rear deck rattle pretty bad, even at low volumes. My A-Pillar also rattled and ticked over every little bump and it drove me nuts!
I get a lot of screetch from the front tweeters at certain frequencies so I definitely need to change them. Are they directly going to the amp or do they have a crossover in the door?
No crossover that I saw. I believe they are run Active on their own channels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.