Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thinking now is directed toward what is the fastest - most effective way to warm up a car that has been sitting out in the cold over night..:)
Gotta say that while reading your post, I thought of a plug in space heater to warm the cabin ahead of time. (A 'remote start' that heats the cabin without remote start, if you will.) Not sure I'll actually try something like this in the cold... but an idea for experimenting with cabin / battery temperature effect on mpg, despite cold exterior temperatures. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gotta say that while reading your post, I thought of a plug in space heater to warm the cabin ahead of time. (A 'remote start' that heats the cabin without remote start, if you will.) Not sure I'll actually try something like this in the cold... but an idea for experimenting with cabin / battery temperature effect on mpg, despite cold exterior temperatures. :)
Wow! A truly EXCELLENT idea!

This will do away with ANY need for battery warm up, and get you into faster battery charging right out the gate! After an initial EV period the system may deny you EV access, till the engine warms up, but for me, this usually happens within the first 3 miles after start up.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I'm paying under $2.25 per gallon for gas right now so it's not worth the hassle to preheat the battery with a space heater. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great idea it was 9f this morning. What size space heater? Placement in car? How long on timer?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't condone this at all since it might catch your vehicle on fire but I've heard a bunch of people over on the prius forums warming up their vehicles with a space heater. Lol...it's actually not too bad of an idea on cold days but the ice engine needs to heat up anyway...so you'd need like 2 space heaters warming up the engine then the cabin...

When I was doing my sound deadening in the evenings I'd pull in a space heater in the car to keep me warm and soften up the sound deadener. It works and keeps the car quite warm. Lol.

I'm so tempted to try and build a bigger battery... There's enough trunk space under the normal trunk to add about 1-3kw of battery...

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I don't condone this at all since it might catch your vehicle on fire but I've heard a bunch of people over on the prius forums warming up their vehicles with a space heater. Lol...it's actually not too bad of an idea on cold days but the ice engine needs to heat up anyway...so you'd need like 2 space heaters warming up the engine then the cabin...

When I was doing my sound deadening in the evenings I'd pull in a space heater in the car to keep me warm and soften up the sound deadener. It works and keeps the car quite warm. Lol.

I'm so tempted to try and build a bigger battery... There's enough trunk space under the normal trunk to add about 1-3kw of battery...
If you have a garage, or a place to plug in, Honda does offer an engine block heater for the Insight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you have a garage, or a place to plug in, Honda does offer an engine block heater for the Insight.
If Honda came out with a battery heater that you could plug in with the engine block heater; I would dare to say for some owners that'd be a necessity, rather than a luxury.

Reactions: andrew28

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
If Honda came out with a battery heater that you could plug in with the engine block heater; I would dare to say for some owners that'd be a necessity, rather than a luxury.
For me gas prices need to be higher before I feel like it's worth preheating everything. Otherwise the lower mpgs doesn't matter to me as much but it would be nice to have the option of an engine block & battery heater. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts