Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new insight owner here and I just had a quick question about the spare tire for a 2021 Insight LX. I’ve gone through the the whole spare tire thread and actually going to buy the spare tire kit 06421-TXM-A02 this weekend, but the tire 42751-KEN-006 seems to be a problem trying to get a hold of from Honda

I ended up calling a few tire places, one being big chain tire store, who wouldn’t sell me the tire because the size that Honda said being t125/80d16 doesn’t come up on their spare tire size for this car. They said the tire size comes up as t135/90d16. I kept saying no this is the size Honda gave me but said there was nothing they could do if it didn’t match their system, meaning they can’t order it. (I didn’t want to deviate from the size since I wasn’t sure if that would fit in the spare tire well height wise against the cover and thickness wise against the tire well itself.)

Another odd thing he told me is that according to their system the reason is that the t125/80d16 won’t work is that that tire size won’t support the weight of the insight and that the t135/90d16 is the proper size for the weight and height of the car.

so I ended up calling another tire chain and they had the Honda size and said they’d happily order and install it for me. So my concern is now, is what that tech said about the tire size not supporting the weight and height of the car worries me. Has anyone used or installed the spare tire yet on a insight and had no problems with it at the t125/80d16 size?

any experience or help with this would be amazing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
T125/80D16 97M at 60psi is what Honda recommends as shown in the 2021 Honda Insight owner's manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T125/80D16 97M at 60psi is what Honda recommends as shown in the 2021 Honda Insight owner's manual.

View attachment 6513
yea that’s what I kept telling the guy at the tire place but apparently it’s not what’s shown on their system so they can’t order a tire they see as wrong. And with further investigation they said it’s because of the weight...was so confusing.

the other tire place said they could order the size and install it no problem. They just didn’t have the maxxis or ken version Honda sells, just a kumho which I’m fine with.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
yea that’s what I kept telling the guy at the tire place but apparently it’s not what’s shown on their system so they can’t order a tire they see as wrong. And with further investigation they said it’s because of the weight...was so confusing.

the other tire place said they could order the size and install it no problem. They just didn’t have the maxxis or ken version Honda sells, just a kumho which I’m fine with.
I would trust Honda's spec recommendation vs the tire shop. If you ordered the spare tire from a Honda dealership that's what they would give you.

Tirerack.com is also showing the same Honda recommended size for the spare tire if you look under the optional tire sizes tab. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sele...utoModel=Insight&autoYear=2021&autoModClar=EX

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello everyone, new insight owner here and I just had a quick question about the spare tire for a 2021 Insight LX. I’ve gone through the the whole spare tire thread and actually going to buy the spare tire kit 06421-TXM-A02 this weekend, but the tire 42751-KEN-006 seems to be a problem trying to get a hold of from Honda

I ended up calling a few tire places, one being big chain tire store, who wouldn’t sell me the tire because the size that Honda said being t125/80d16 doesn’t come up on their spare tire size for this car. They said the tire size comes up as t135/90d16. I kept saying no this is the size Honda gave me but said there was nothing they could do if it didn’t match their system, meaning they can’t order it. (I didn’t want to deviate from the size since I wasn’t sure if that would fit in the spare tire well height wise against the cover and thickness wise against the tire well itself.)

Another odd thing he told me is that according to their system the reason is that the t125/80d16 won’t work is that that tire size won’t support the weight of the insight and that the t135/90d16 is the proper size for the weight and height of the car.

so I ended up calling another tire chain and they had the Honda size and said they’d happily order and install it for me. So my concern is now, is what that tech said about the tire size not supporting the weight and height of the car worries me. Has anyone used or installed the spare tire yet on a insight and had no problems with it at the t125/80d16 size?

Like many of us who purchased spares, check eBay, craigslist, FB Marketplace, Junk Yards, Pick 'n Pull to get a spare, jack, foam insert etc.. There is a spare with tools listed on eBay for $182.75 , however you will need to get the foam holder AND spare hold down bolt and spacer.

Take your time hunting around for a spare and kit and you'll save a lot of $$$. The car comes with Flat kit (sealant/compressor) so take your time. I got my spare, foam insert and tools from Marketplace for $75 so there are deals out there. 2016+ Honda Civic Spares, foam insert & tools are compatible with our cars.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Maybe the system is confusing the 2021 Insight LX with the 2021 Accord LX specs (?). However the Insight is more comparable to the Civic (same platform, similar weight & dimensions, etc).

Below is what Honda posts for the 2021 Civic and 2021 Accord.
- For the 2021 Accord, only the LX and EX-L have the compact spare spec'd at 135/90D16, with a base tire spec of 17".
- And even for the 18" wheels of the 2021 Civic, the compact spare is "only" spec'd at 125/70R17.

2021 Accord spare tire specs

2021 Civic spare tire specs

·
Registered
31 Posts

I went to my local Honda dealer and ordered a kit from the parts department. It's for a Civic, and fits perfectly and Honda has no issues with this use. I suggest you bite the bullet and do the same.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that I mentioned in an earlier thread, way back in time that the spare tire well in the trunk is sized to hold a full size tire. The manual states that when you replace a regular tire with the doughnut spare the defective tire should be placed in the trunk well upside down and held in place with the hold down bolt. Obviously, the foam tool holder will not fit in this situation but at least the original full size tire will not be bouncing aroud on its way to a repair shop. My thought here is that if you have the jack and tools available from an older Honda you could use one snow tire or summer tire, dependingon the season, as a spare and save on the cost of that mini piece of rubber. The penalty for this is some additional weight in the car and perhaps the need for some inventivness in finding a home for the tools. I suspect that the jack and tools might fit in the space provided by the regular wheel when it is stored upside down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts