Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought this 2019 Touring in October 2018. I’ve never before owned a car that didn’t have a spare tire, and I’ve owned cars since 1970. So for my wife’s birthday that November I bought a Civic spare tire kit off of Ebay. She thought I was crazy, after all we have AAA emergency care. We have had a flat tire THREE times so far with that car! It only has 23k miles on it, so that’s a flat every 7k miles LOL. Oddly enough, all 3 flats have been in the same tire, even after rotating. Each time we had the flat we were out of town, hours away from home. I put on the spare each time, it’s pretty easy to do. One time we called AAA first, but I had it changed well over an hour before they would have shown up to “help” us. It takes me about 15 minutes to change it. This last flat wouldn’t even pump up temporarily, it leaked out as fast as the compressor could pump it in. I’ve never used the sealant in the compressor thing, I don’t trust it and haven’t heard anything good about it. Have any of you had any luck with the sealant? Since the tires are at about 50% of their life I didn’t want to replace the tire. The shop that plugs them says that it should be fine with the 3 plugs.
Anyway, I would advise anyone without a spare to get one and learn how to change it out. I know a lot of the younger crowd may not know how to change a tire, but it’s a good skill to learn.

·
Registered
308 Posts
We bought this 2019 Touring in October 2018. I’ve never before owned a car that didn’t have a spare tire, and I’ve owned cars since 1970. So for my wife’s birthday that November I bought a Civic spare tire kit off of Ebay. She thought I was crazy, after all we have AAA emergency care. We have had a flat tire THREE times so far with that car! It only has 23k miles on it, so that’s a flat every 7k miles LOL. Oddly enough, all 3 flats have been in the same tire, even after rotating. Each time we had the flat we were out of town, hours away from home. I put on the spare each time, it’s pretty easy to do. One time we called AAA first, but I had it changed well over an hour before they would have shown up to “help” us. It takes me about 15 minutes to change it. This last flat wouldn’t even pump up temporarily, it leaked out as fast as the compressor could pump it in. I’ve never used the sealant in the compressor thing, I don’t trust it and haven’t heard anything good about it. Have any of you had any luck with the sealant? Since the tires are at about 50% of their life I didn’t want to replace the tire. The shop that plugs them says that it should be fine with the 3 plugs.
Anyway, I would advise anyone without a spare to get one and learn how to change it out. I know a lot of the younger crowd may not know how to change a tire, but it’s a good skill to learn.
Oooooo, just noticed you own a VERY rare TSX wagon. Just wanted to say that’s so cool! I’ve only seen a few!

My roomie tried to use the sealant to fix a hole in his rear tire and it didn’t work but it was a good sized hole caused by some sharp piece of metal on the highway. He had to wait an hour or more for the tow truck driver and it was at the height of COVID, so at first the driver said AAA doesn’t allow him to give rides in the cab but AAA would pay for a Lyft ride. Being it was after midnight on a dark section of toll road, the driver felt bad for him and gave him the ride against policy. I was shocked AAA had that policy but maybe it was a way to drum up tips, who knows…..anyway, he said he wants his next car to have a spare after that experience.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooooo, just noticed you own a VERY rare TSX wagon. Just wanted to say that’s so cool! I’ve only seen a few!
Yep. Love the TSX wagon, I've had absolutely zero problems with it, 125k miles, still looks sporty. I get about 28 mpg with it. Wish they still made them!

·
Registered
2019 EX Space Gray
61 Posts
Wow, three flats on the same wheel in 23k miles!

We got a full size spare, not too expensive. I don't think the cover fits completely flat with it in the spare slot. We'll take it if we go on an out of town trip. Here's my experience getting the spare:

·
Registered
17 Posts
First thing I bought for my insight, after the dash cam, was a spare tire kit. Never needed one thus far but it's nice to have. AAA is fine but you can't call them if you don't have cell service. I bought the one modern spare sells, skinny but full diameter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts