Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having to be towed because of a flat tire, I bought one off of eBay. It just came in earlier this week. I have been riding around with it to see how it will impact mpg’s. So far I am up .2 of a mile.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
After having to be towed because of a flat tire, I bought one off of eBay. It just came in earlier this week. I have been riding around with it to see how it will impact mpg’s. So far I am up .2 of a mile.
Is the spare that you got from eBay a compact one? If so, does driving with it limit your speed to <45 mph and is that helping your fuel efficiency?

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
It is in the box in my trunk...that’s what I meant by riding around with it.
Gets a flat, buys a spare tire, tells us it didn't impact mpg while riding around with it, and then clarifies that riding around with it meant carrying it in the trunk with .2mpg gain... lol :smile_big:

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is in the box in my trunk...that’s what I meant by riding around with it.
Ah! Now I get it! But a little odd that your mpg improved, no? Or maybe we call the +0.2 mpg 'negligible' fuel efficiency impact, for the extra weight (~35 lb)?
I'm a little dubious about weight and mpg differences showing much at these rate of changes. I have installed a huge amount of sound dampening material in my car and this stuff is a bit on the heavy side. I've probably put nearly 30 to 40lbs of sound dampening and have seen no difference in the mpg than before the install. I'd guess the fact I'm a fat mammal probably has more effect since I figure most of you are between 140-180lbs versus my walrus figure of about 275lbs.

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
I'm a Rubenesque 215 pounds. I've got a spare setup along with a fully loaded trunk organizer, I've seen no adverse impact to MPG. Weather/temps have been the only mitigator.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m a fat ass too. I achieved 42 mpg with my wife and 2 kids and full trunk of luggage averaging 75 mph on a 2000 mile trip. I do t think the spare will decrease mpg’s much.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I’m a fat ass too. I achieved 42 mpg with my wife and 2 kids and full trunk of luggage averaging 75 mph on a 2000 mile trip. I do t think the spare will decrease mpg’s much.
This reminds me of a post about a member in California, dropping his kid off at college if I remember correctly, and noting that the trip fully loaded vs, normal load was very similar in fuel mileage. This has a lot to do with minimizing rolling resistance. The lower that coefficient, the less affected by mass (like my fluffy self :D).

I think we can safely say that in terms of fuel economy, load is pretty low on the list.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
This reminds me of a post about a member in California, dropping his kid off at college if I remember correctly, and noting that the trip fully loaded vs, normal load was very similar in fuel mileage. This has a lot to do with minimizing rolling resistance. The lower that coefficient, the less affected by mass (like my fluffy self :D).

I think we can safely say that in terms of fuel economy, load is pretty low on the list.
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/2496-abnormal-trip-so-cal-san-fran.html
^^^ I think you're referencing this recap in this thread, re: abnormal trip from So Cal to San Francisco. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've only had my spare tire for a week, but when the temps were in the 70's on Sunday 2/2/2020, I was getting 56 mpg.
With an second passenger, too. I suspect now the temps are back in the 20's - 30's (though it's showing 8 degrees this evening and supposed to go down to
1 or 2 below zero overnight) that my mileage will go back down to 50-51 mpg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts