Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My commute takes me over the Bay Bridge from East Bay to San Francisco. This morning, just before going through the toll section I happened to glance down at my dash and noticed the Speed Limit sign said 100! As soon as I passed through, the sensor must have detected a sign for 25 and the readout changed on my dash.

Has anyone noticed an error like this? It's a bit alarming as some of us were assuming in another thread that the speed limit detection is part of Honda's endgame of self-driving vehicles that can factor in posted speed limits. A reading of 100 mph entering a gridlocked toll area is a serious error, not to mention that there is no such speed limit anywhere in the world that I'm aware of. Drivers routinely exceed 100 mph on the Autobahn, but the posted limit is 80 mph I believe.

Anyway, if Honda's speed limit sensor is making this error, it is all the more reason to not display speed limit in the dash and certainly not display it so prominently. I'm still struggling to see how fast I'm going in the needle speedometer and instantly know the speed limit readout, which is information I really don't need. And after seeing this error I'm questioning why the car needs such information.

The toll lane I use is called Fastrack and features its own sensor system that knows to charge each vehicle owner the toll. Is it possible the sensors for the bridge and for the car's reading of the speed limit are causing issues with each other?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
My commute takes me over the Bay Bridge from East Bay to San Francisco. This morning, just before going through the toll section I happened to glance down at my dash and noticed the Speed Limit sign said 100! As soon as I passed through, the sensor must have detected a sign for 25 and the readout changed on my dash.

Has anyone noticed an error like this? It's a bit alarming as some of us were assuming in another thread that the speed limit detection is part of Honda's endgame of self-driving vehicles that can factor in posted speed limits. A reading of 100 mph entering a gridlocked toll area is a serious error, not to mention that there is no such speed limit anywhere in the world that I'm aware of. Drivers routinely exceed 100 mph on the Autobahn, but the posted limit is 80 mph I believe.

Anyway, if Honda's speed limit sensor is making this error, it is all the more reason to not display speed limit in the dash and certainly not display it so prominently. I'm still struggling to see how fast I'm going in the needle speedometer and instantly know the speed limit readout, which is information I really don't need. And after seeing this error I'm questioning why the car needs such information.

The toll lane I use is called Fastrack and features its own sensor system that knows to charge each vehicle owner the toll. Is it possible the sensors for the bridge and for the car's reading of the speed limit are causing issues with each other?
The speed limit sign reader isn't accurate. I have mine turned off in vehicle settings. It can mistake other signs for speed limit signs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speed limit sign reader isn't accurate. I have mine turned off in vehicle settings. It can mistake other signs for speed limit signs.
Thanks, that could explain it! I'll turn off mine as well.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
I've been pleased with the accuracy of speed limit sign readings, but the "100 mph" (or 100 kph) reading has popped up for others in these "issues" and "strange occurrences" threads.

Since we can't ALL possibly be near a Highway 100 (?!), it's made me wonder if the "100" speed limit reading is instead a default for the camera under certain conditions... similar to how the mpg reading defaults to 199.9 in EV mode (even though the mpg is actually 'infinite'). If this is true, I'd prefer the speed be reported as nothing/blank rather than an inaccurate default 100 mph number.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,285 Posts
I've gotten an 80mph sign when passing the 15mph sign in my work parking lot. Maybe we have an excuse for the cop the next time we get pulled over? "But officer! My car said it was 100!"

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've been pleased with the accuracy of speed limit sign readings, but the "100 mph" (or 100 kph) reading has popped up for others in these "issues" and "strange occurrences" threads.

Since we can't ALL possibly be near a Highway 100 (?!), it's made me wonder if the "100" speed limit reading is instead a default for the camera under certain conditions... similar to how the mpg reading defaults to 199.9 in EV mode (even though the mpg is actually 'infinite'). If this is true, I'd prefer the speed be reported as nothing/blank rather than an inaccurate default 100 mph number.
I have found it reads route signs as speed limit signs sometimes and route 100 is always nearby. 😁

Personally I prefer the Ford's way of showing speed limit by using GPS map info. Obviously this has some flaws too since outdated maps could be inaccurate but I find changes in speed limits year after year less prone to happening than 100mph readings from the Honda. Still, it's an interesting and fairly accurate system. I'm not concerned over the worries of such systems in the automated car market since most serious articles I've read have stated from experts who are less prone to riding the bandwagon of dreams over reality that truly automated cars are at the very least 15+ years from being legally viable for overall use in the USA. No doubt we'll see several advances in automated cars being tested, but i firmly believe it'll be a VERY long time before they are allowed legally in huge numbers on our roads.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've seen Speed Limit 100 more than a few times in residential areas. Can't find any signs that even remotely look like the number 100.

Overall I like it though. I find myself comparing the ACC set speed to the speed limit sign, because it's so convenient to have the numbers next to each other. It lets me slightly speed (5-10 MPH over the limit) and know that I'm not outdoing the limit by a whole lot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its a handy feature, but poorly executed. Should be GPS based like Verdier mentioned and then there wouldn't be periods of time where nothing is displayed and your left wondering until the next sign comes along. It was hardly a worthwhile effort considering the data is available elsewhere and more readily.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
My car seems to occasionally recognize “work zone -speeding fines increased” signs as 70mph
Just the Insight teasing us cause it knows we will be the one paying for the ticket. :wink:

·
Registered
143 Posts
GPA data is ~30 feet in terms of accuracy. The visual speed limit sign recognition is immediate. GPS data, however, is more accurate in terms of getting it right (excluding temporary construction zones, etc). There have been several times I'll see an 80 or 100 mph sign on the dash. It's rare, but it happens.
I've actually had a 70mph speed limit notice show up on two different occasions while backing out of my carport!

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's text recognition - it messes up from time to time.. It's funny when it does.. Just pay attention and drive.. It's helped me out a few times honestly - but only when I didn't have Waze running.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's text recognition - it messes up from time to time.. It's funny when it does.. Just pay attention and drive.. It's helped me out a few times honestly - but only when I didn't have Waze running.
Yeah right! Like I'm going to go believe the 100 mph reading. Sheesh! ;) :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts