Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two times now, after arriving at my destination with a low battery charge (3 bars), I decided to put Sport mode on so the engine would start and charge the battery when I'm in Park + Electric Park. I do that to start the next trip with a little bit more than nothing of battery.

The flow chart would show the engine charging the battery but I noticed it does it at an extremely slow rate. I didn't measure exactly but it took something like 3 minutes to go from 3 to 4 bars and the same from 4 to 5 bars.

I recall in the past that it would charge much faster than that, but maybe it was with a cold, revved up engine? Or is it that Sport mode is about keeping the engine on for more instant power as opposed to charge the battery?

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
How long do you idle in Sport mode? I think it would take 5 minutes or more to build up the HV battery appreciably, so your summary sounds about right. It also depends on whether the starting battery bars represent the low side (i.e. bottom of 3 bars) or high side (i.e. top of 3 bars).

In colder weather (colder cabin?) it seems to take longer for HV battery to build up when in Sport mode. When in Sport mode and driving for ~1 mile before a hill, I gain ~3 bars of battery charge.

Sport mode seems to be both about building HV battery charge and keeping the gas engine running/available for on-demand power.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I waited about 6 minutes, so 2 bars. I don't typically do that but I wanted to test it out. t wasn't really cold, in the 50s. I'll see when driving if I get results similar to yours. Basically I'm a little paranoiac about the health of my battery, since I see big differences from one day to another, with the same temperature/ conditions. Wish we had a battery health meter or something...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts