Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed an odd behavior with the paddles. In Eco or Normal mode, I use when going downhill, the carat symbol shows the level of deceleration. When I step on the gas, the symbol disappears. In Sport mode, however, the symbol never goes away. Does that mean it retains the setting (not true in other modes), or does it mean even with when using gas it is braking?

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I have noticed an odd behavior with the paddles. In Eco or Normal mode, I use when going downhill, the carat symbol shows the level of deceleration. When I step on the gas, the symbol disappears. In Sport mode, however, the symbol never goes away. Does that mean it retains the setting (not true in other modes), or does it mean even with when using gas it is braking?
Sport mode retains the regen setting. It's not using regen when on the throttle - only when you let up. You can also reset the regen by holding tie right paddle for a few seconds - the carats will go away.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helpful, thanks.

Sport mode retains the regen setting. It's not using regen when on the throttle - only when you let up. You can also reset the regen by holding tie right paddle for a few seconds - the carats will go away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this was discussed before but I have one basic question. When regenerative braking is employed, either through coasting or with the use of the paddles are the brake pads being used or only the electric engine slowing the car down and charging the battery if the brake peddle is not depressed?

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I know this was discussed before but I have one basic question. When regenerative braking is employed, either through coasting or with the use of the paddles are the brake pads being used or only the electric engine slowing the car down and charging the battery if the brake peddle is not depressed?
The 2019 Insight's electric servo brake system provides efficient regenerative braking along with smooth and consistent brake control and feel. Regenerative braking begins as soon as the driver releases the throttle pedal, with a strong regenerative braking effect beginning when the brake pedal is depressed and continuing until the point that the vehicle speed drops below 1 mph, when the friction brakes fully engage. The objective is to maximize battery recharging during normal driving – while still maintaining top levels of braking precision and driving enjoyment.
When the driver applies the brake pedal, a signal is sent to the vehicle's Electronic Control Unit (ECU), which determines the appropriate amount of braking force to assign to regenerative braking through the electric drive motor and to the hydraulic friction braking system. In many light-to-moderate braking situations, friction braking is not needed until the vehicle speed drops below 5 mph, as the vehicle slows to a final stop. When the ECU determines that friction braking is needed, the dual hydraulic master cylinder pumps brake fluid through the system. Midway between the master cylinder and the calipers is a separate motorized electronic actuator. This actuator receives an electronic signal, generated in the master cylinder module that precisely defines how the driver has applied the brakes – soft or hard, slow or fast. The actuator then directly apportions hydraulic pressure to the brake calipers at each wheel. To maximize the Insight's accident-avoidance capabilities, the system delivers an extra-strong braking response when the driver increases the pedal force.
https://hondanews.com/releases/2019-honda-insight-press-kit

Friction braking(brake pads) seem to be use when the car slows down to between 5mph-1mph under normal situations.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Friction braking (brake pads) seem to be use when the car slows down to between 5mph-1mph under normal situations.
...and more specifically, the friction brakes (brake pads) are only used when the brake pedal is depressed while the car is slowing to <5 mph.

If the car instead slows to that speed range via coasting or regen paddles without the brake pedal depressed, the brake pads aren't used.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks. . If this is accurate, and I'm sure your information is, then brake pads should last a real long time. That is good news.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been using the paddles mostly to save on brake wear. If this info is accurate, and one uses a light foot on the brakes, sounds like there really is no advantage to using the paddles!

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I have been using the paddles mostly to save on brake wear. If this info is accurate, and one uses a light foot on the brakes, sounds like there really is no advantage to using the paddles!
Yes, this is accurate - since the initial braking is done via regeneration. This prior thread/video convinced me that "dragging the brakes" is an effective technique for maximizing regen/mpg, without undue use/wear on the actual brake pads.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/137-2019-honda-insight-reviews/750-2019-honda-insight-touring-hybrid-mpg-drive-0-60-mph-review.html#post5378

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Thanks. . If this is accurate, and I'm sure your information is, then brake pads should last a real long time. That is good news.
We have a member here who owned a Prius and mentioned he didn't have to change out his brake pads until 150k miles. Not sure about the Insight but I'm looking forward to saving money on brake pads.

The info should be accurate, it comes directly from Honda's Press Kit for the 2019 Insight. I use the paddles to essentially do one pedal driving(foot resting on the gas pedal only) when I don't have a car following closely behind sometimes.

Yes, this is accurate - since the initial braking is done via regeneration. This prior thread/video convinced me that "dragging the brakes" is an effective technique for maximizing regen/mpg, without undue use/wear on the actual brake pads.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/137-2019-honda-insight-reviews/750-2019-honda-insight-touring-hybrid-mpg-drive-0-60-mph-review.html#post5378
Yep, you can actually ride the brakes on the Insight without worrying about brake pad wear like on a normal car.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I just want to add to be mindful of the driver behind you. I hated Prius drivers(before owning the Insight) that did this when I was behind them requiring me to ride my brakes, too. :wink:

I find it more effective to coast to a stop without using the brake while using the paddles when possible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello...
Why does SPORT Mode charge my battery faster compared to being on ECO /Normal mode?

Also, when I'm in SPORT Mode and I click the paddle shifter, I then see a "M" next to the "D"rive letter on my Speedometer?
Hmmmmm?

SPORT Mode is sooo much fun to drive in my Touring.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sport mode prioritizes battery charging (active) much more aggressively than the other two modes.

The M stands for Manual battery regeneration, to bring attention to the fact that regeneration paddle settings stay set, unless ACC is used.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok..so when that "M" is on, there is more friction and the gas Motor has to work harder..thus uses more gas?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ok..so when that "M" is on, there is more friction and the gas Motor has to work harder..thus uses more gas?
Sorry I'll elaborate. M is to draw your attention to the DII. If you use the left paddle, to increase regenerative braking, the setting stays, unlike the other driving modes, which cancel with 3 seconds of acceleration, decreasing speed below 5mph.

ACC still cancels it, I believe.

This only affects coasting, when you release the accelerator, the regenerative braking is greater, than the other modes. You no longer have to use the paddles every time you choose to slow down/coast.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
This only affects coasting, when you release the accelerator, the regenerative braking is greater, than the other modes. You no longer have to use the paddles every time you choose to slow down/coast.
I also interpret the "M" as being for "Manual" control of regen level, and just a visual reminder that the selected regen level is always on versus auto-canceling in Econ or Normal modes. The gas doesn't work harder based on the regen level you choose in Sport mode, but the gas engine does stay on more to keep the battery charge high and direct-drive on the ready for when you need the power. Test out sport mode with different levels of regen, and you'll feel the difference occur only when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Ok..so it has no effect on gas mileage. Only my lead foot will...
Sport mode can affect fuel efficiency, for a couple reasons:
1 - The 'algorithm' keeps the HV battery charged more than other modes, and the gas engine runs to build/maintain this
2 - The throttle is more sensitive in Sport mode, so even the lightest touch of the accelerator can trigger more power/gas) use.

Try driving the same route using Econ only then Sport only, and you'll notice the difference in mpg.

You can also compare your experience against examples posted in the "Real World MPG Testing Results" thread:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/2082-real-world-2019-insight-mpg-testing-results.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts