Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am curious if these two options could get identical mpg (especially in suburbs/ town driving). Am going to test it out soon.

1) ECO use with very rare or no regen paddle use. Relatively light foot for most drive sessions, though flooring it at highway entry ramps/ tollbooth exit ramps.

2) SPORT mode with permanent max regen set each time car is started. Relatively light foot for most of drive sessions, with occasional exceptions at highway entry ramps/ tollbooth exit ramps.

If permanent maximum regen in SPORT mode can cancel out the normal fuel economy measures in ECO mode, it would be nice to have permanent SPORT MODE. Would be particularly convenient
in that: (1) no need to constantly slap paddles at most stop lights like in ECO mode; and (2) no need to press button for SPORT mode because already in it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Am curious if these two options could get identical mpg (especially in suburbs/ town driving). Am going to test it out soon.

1) ECO use with very rare or no regen paddle use. Relatively light foot for most drive sessions, though flooring it at highway entry ramps/ tollbooth exit ramps.

2) SPORT mode with permanent max regen set each time car is started. Relatively light foot for most of drive sessions, with occasional exceptions at highway entry ramps/ tollbooth exit ramps.

If permanent maximum regen in SPORT mode can cancel out the normal fuel economy measures in ECO mode, it would be nice to have permanent SPORT MODE. Would be particularly convenient
in that: (1) no need to constantly slap paddles at most stop lights like in ECO mode; and (2) no need to press button for SPORT mode because already in it.
curious to read your result on this experiment. Not an owner yet but it'd be nice to know you can abuse sports mode and not be set back that much in MPG.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm sure that the need to have a "sticky" setting on the regen and the mileage depends on the terrain that you drive over on a regular basis.

I commute a short distance (2 miles) downhill to a Park and Ride - with a drop of 400 feet elevation. I've previously posted that my engine runs even during this downhill in the morning. Because of the downhill, I can change the regeneration, but whether I have it at the 3rd level or not, because of the braking and the stop signs, it ends up at the same battery level at the end of the trip (roughly +5 bars). Of course, your experience may be different depending on where and how you drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive been doing this research on my car right now. Next gas tank I will be doing the sport with full regen but as of now from eco to normal, I went from 50mpg to 47mpg. All with minimal paddle shift regen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So from my experiment, and in terms of my driving habits.

ECO- 48-49mpg
Normal 46-47mpg
Sport w/ max regen - 43-44mpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
My strategy is to put it back into Normal or Eco when I get to my neighborhood, where there are a few miles of 25. Then it runs EV for almost the entire way, since Sport has it completely charged up. Similarly, leaving work it will have been charged up from using Sport in the morning, which helps with the initial AC catchup. This approach seems to cause no penalty with my daily route, due to it having the battery fully charged when it needs it the most, and it lets me do most of my fast-traffic driving (45-50MPH with a light every mile) in Sport.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So from my experiment, and in terms of my driving habits.

ECO- 48-49mpg
Normal 46-47mpg
Sport w/ max regen - 43-44mpg
Slightly worse normal mode mileage compared to Eco mileage is in line with what I'm seeing.

Recently, I've driven my usual carpool route in mostly Eco mode, on a warm day and a colder day. On the cold day the heat was on the whole hour. I saw 1 MPG less than on the warm day (52 MPG to 51 MPG) Just two data points and god knows that not all variables are isolated. I am looking forward to seeing what happens when my soon-to-arrive spare tire is loaded in the back.

At the dealer they pointed out the green LEDs on the dash that tell you whether you're driving greenly. I find that the Eco Drive mode is much easier to read though. You can see when the car is being accelerated greenly or not, and how far off of ideal you are.

My strategy is to put it back into Normal or Eco when I get to my neighborhood, where there are a few miles of 25. Then it runs EV for almost the entire way, since Sport has it completely charged up. Similarly, leaving work it will have been charged up from using Sport in the morning, which helps with the initial AC catchup. This approach seems to cause no penalty with my daily route, due to it having the battery fully charged when it needs it the most, and it lets me do most of my fast-traffic driving (45-50MPH with a light every mile) in Sport.
What MPG do you see? I love Sport mode, but I use it basically only when I'm merging onto the freeway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What MPG do you see? I love Sport mode, but I use it basically only when I'm merging onto the freeway.
I drove in sport mode the whole way home today(25 miles mostly 65-80mph), have a full battery from max regen, and got 45.4MPG. Not bad considering I average 49.3 in normal mode and 52.8 in Econ. My last car a ‘15 Civic was lucky to get 41MPG each trip without sport mode activated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am averaging 48, using a mix of driving modes to fit the conditions - I haven’t compared driving always in one or another for a full tank. But, tbh, when driving in Eco I use a heavier foot to make up for the difference in response; Sport just saves some motion. (It really isn’t safe to hypermile in suburban Florida traffic.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
In Canada here and as it is turning cold I am seeing a drop in performance. In the summer weather I was averaging 52 to 53 MPG, and recently seen that drop to 46 to 47 MPG with the colder weather setting in. From my online research, this is normal for any car once the colder weather sets in, winter fuel at the pumps now, and I noticed it in my last few vehicles. I have tracked my last ten fill ups on fuelly.com

Curious once the real cold weather sets in what I will see, and if I can hit those numbers again next summer?

In the summer months my fuel range after a fill up would it between 803 and 820 kms. Now I am only hitting 720 to 730 kms after a fill up.

I run in econo mode 99% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
The cabin heater is killing my mpg now that it's colder outside. The engine runs constantly until the temperature inside comes up thereby disabling EV mode during that time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The cabin heater is killing my mpg now that it's colder outside. The engine runs constantly until the temperature inside comes up thereby disabling EV mode during that time.
Wow, you've got the second best mpg going on Fuelly, that's impressive.
Living in Northern Ontario, the winter heating thing is one reason I"m still on the fence about an Insight.
If 50% of the year I need the heater on for warmth and window deicing, the return for paying premium for a hybrid diminishes.

My only thought is if I heat more with the seat warmer, and leave the car cooler, it won't be as much a hit on the fuel efficiency.
Just keep wearing my jacket and gloves inside the car.

Great numbers though, you obviously put some effort in that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts