Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California has inspections, but not for tint. They have Smog (a more strict version of our emissions) and safety inspections.
I know we have smog every other year, but safety inspections? We definitely do not have those. If we get pulled over for e.g. broken tail lights, police typically just issue a fix-it ticket.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I know we have smog every other year, but safety inspections? We definitely do not have those. If we get pulled over for e.g. broken tail lights, police typically just issue a fix-it ticket.
Man do we get screwed in this equation then.

We have yearly safety inspections, yearly emissions inspections, the only exception is the first 3 years of a car, you don't have to do emissions, if I remember correctly. We also have bi-annual vehicle registrations (at least for NY). I feel bad for the guys in Mass, Vt etc... Where rust perforation is part of their vehicle inspection as well.

On top of that, yes we get pulled over with fix-it tickets. I was always told that California was worse than NY when it came to Vehicle ownership. What does a smog inspection cost? Just curious. Ours are $21/year for passenger vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts

We have yearly safety inspections, yearly emissions inspections, the only exception is the first 3 years of a car, you don't have to do emissions, if I remember correctly. We also have bi-annual vehicle registrations (at least for NY). I feel bad for the guys in Mass, Vt etc... Where rust perforation is part of their vehicle inspection as well.

On top of that, yes we get pulled over with fix-it tickets. I was always told that California was worse than NY when it came to Vehicle ownership. What does a smog inspection cost? Just curious. Ours are $21/year for passenger vehicles.
NY charges a separate price for emissions inspection? In MA, the $35 annual safety inspection covers the emissions inspection, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder if maybe the service included as part of oil change and other service counts toward what's listed here as yearly "California Vehicle Inspection" -? https://www.tirestoreav.com/auto-repairs/automotive-q-a/mode/detail/knowledgeitemid/3599.aspx
I'm sure there are services that do safety inspections for peace of mind but with my Nissan Altima, I've never had "inspections" done because most services, like oil changes, were done at home. I've had my tires rotated at costco but never was anything mandatory. Of the states that do get yearly inspections.. do you get fined for not performing them?

I couldn't give you a definite price but they are upwards of $50 typically. Calfornia just passed a law banning loud exhausts. I've seen Cops pull over cars with modded exhausts and issue $1k tickets.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The services are performed together, but yes in NY, they are considered 2 separate inspections, and thus have separate costs. The service is $21 total.

If you don't have a valid inspection sticker, you can be ticketed, your car can be towed and impounded, if it's a recurring issue. I don't know if/when it goes into effect, but I remember legislation with the new inspection laws also stating that your license can be suspended, don't know all of the specifics.

Our inspection tags are also tied into the DMV database, so any patrol car with a plate scanner can quickly identify a car without a valid tag. Tags are also tied to the VIN and registration. So if a car is sold, it needs to be re-inspected within 10 days. Gone are the days of inspectors on the take, passing out tags.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Wow. NJ used to be harda**es with inspections. A few years back, they discontinued all inspections for cars older than 1996, and everyone else only needs emissions inspection every two years. As a rule-of-thumb, if your check engine light isn't on, you'll pass. New cars are exempt for the first five years.

Inspections aside, the cops will still nail you if they see something amiss (illegal tinting, light out, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Of the states that do get yearly inspections.. do you get fined for not performing them?
Driving any motor vehicle without a valid inspection sticker is a traffic violation. It may result in a fine and affect your insurance rate.
MA.^

I still see clunkers with broken headlights/taillights, damaged front/rear ends, and tailpipes blowing black smoke driving on the road though...

The services are performed together, but yes in NY, they are considered 2 separate inspections, and thus have separate costs. The service is $21 total.
$21 seems more reasonable than the $35 in MA. The state hiked the inspection fee from $29 to $35 back in 2014.

·
Registered
836 Posts
MA.^

I still see clunkers with broken headlights/taillights, damaged front/rear ends, and tailpipes blowing black smoke driving on the road though...

$21 seems more reasonable than the $35 in MA. The state hiked the inspection fee from $29 to $35 back in 2014.
I do agree there, it's all a money grab though. They get you somewhere. Whether it's annual registration vs bi-annual. Mandated plate replacements etc...

When I pick up used cars (beaters), I always pick through western Ma, and VT Craigslists to pick up something that failed from rust. Generally, mechanically speaking the cars are fine, just have a perforation (normally rear wheel wells) that NY doesn't care about. It's crazy to think how wildly inefficient DMV is because of all of the convoluted laws. Why can't we just have one national standard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts