Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this new Insight being such an attractive car, are you planning on leaving yours as is or are you going to be making any upgrades/changes?

What kind of changes will you be making if you choose to do so?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've tinted my Insight with 20% ceramic tint and de-badged the 'Hybrid' and 'Touring' emblems. I was debating wrapping the front chrome piece with a gloss black vinyl but I'd like to see someone else do it first before having my guy charge me $150 to do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll be adding window tinting and chip guard to the front and side mirrors. I also just purchased some door guards. The window tinting in my area is $150. The chip guard is around $700. Door guards were about $80.

I plan on removing the nice aluminum alloy wheels in the winter and buying some regular metal wheels (and plastic hubcaps) with studless snow tires. The chemicals on the road in the winter in my area damag aluminum alloy wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also already tinted the windows 35% all around but what I'm waiting to find out is if the aftermarket suspension mods for the honda civic sedans would work on the insight since its the same platform. I would like to upgrade the suspension to make it handle a little better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also already tinted the windows 35% all around but what I'm waiting to find out is if the aftermarket suspension mods for the honda civic sedans would work on the insight since its the same platform. I would like to upgrade the suspension to make it handle a little better.
Start with tires & wheels. Lots of unsprung weight in the wheels (27 pounds each on the 17's) and the tires are terrible for going around a corner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since I bought the EX I'm going to add the LED fog lights because I think they round out the front of the car and just look cool! That's it for me, nothing major!

Ronnie, I was kind of interested in door guards. Did you get yours from the dealer? Are they body-colored? I'd be interested to see how they look.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just posted a thread about this... Shared Suspension Parts List

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for doing the research. Seems like the rear sway bar is different and springs are different also. Those were likely the two upgrades I wanted to do. Hopefully companies will put out aftermarket products for the insight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for doing the research. Seems like the rear sway bar is different and springs are different also. Those were likely the two upgrades I wanted to do. Hopefully companies will put out aftermarket products for the insight.
I agree, plus some struts. Maybe an Eibach Pro-Kit, with rear sway, and Bilsteins or Konis. Stock suspension is comfy, but soft. Most likely I’ll just get new tires then forget about all this, though.

Perhaps most importantly, I want a Covercraft sun shade. Anyone know if the Civic one fits? Still waiting for the insight to show up on their website.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I changed the EX cloth center arm rest to Leather from the Touring model a few days ago and really brings the whole car together now. The cloth really is scratchy and felt out of place. Then I added Ceramic tints on the whole car, even the windshield as Florida sun is strong.
Stratos 70 Windshield
Pinnacle 30 front windows
Pinnacle 15 rear and back window
Highly recommend getting ceramic tints.

Now looking at the sport black grille add on just want to see how to install it first before I buy it.

Also want to add a leather steering wheel cover but not sure which will fit and will prefer one that fully wraps over current wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I changed the EX cloth center arm rest to Leather from the Touring model a few days ago and really brings the whole car together now. The cloth really is scratchy and felt out of place.
I just posted some questions to you about this on your intro thread. Should have posted it here, I guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Parts are 19/20/23 that you need to buy and just make sure you get the black one. Its in the description, all you do is pull off the 2 side pieces.

It will feel like you can't take it off but just pull it off from the middle, don't be afraid it wont break and just pop in the new one.

Then for the middle slide part, open it and then pull it out. You will see 2 screws, take those out and then pull it off same as the side pieces. Then pop in the new one, you will also have to pull off the new one as they send it with the hinge.

** you really dont need to switch the whole hinge**

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm finding that installation of the door guards that I bought is more difficult than I thought. It requires cutting the existing silicon door seal on the inside with a cutter that came with the order. There's also paint involved after the cut. I don't feel comfortable doing all of this. May ask our local dealer how much he would charge for the install. Here's the instructions that were sent to me.

https://cl.ly/3a3n0N3L3r2X/2019 INSIGHT DOOR EDGE GUARDS.pdf

What other options are there instead of me installing them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience with my 2012 EX Civic coupe has been that upgrading the stabilizer (sway) bars can make a huge difference in handling. While the Insight starts out much tighter than the Civic did, I suspect that oversized sway bars will work some magic with it, too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts