Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insignt EX in Cosmic Blue Metallic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Fellow Insight drivers,
I've had my Insight EX 2021 since the beginning June. In mid-June my family took it on vacation - the drive was over five hours each way. I used Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and the car basically drove itself on the freeway. I barely had my hands on the steering wheel. Occasionally the orange warning "steering required" would flash on the dashboard; it was very useful as it normally appeared going up a steep hill or in a construction zone.
Since the vacation, I've been enjoying ACC and LKAS on my commute to work, but I live quite close and don't take the freeway. ACC works at speeds as low as 25 mph, and the "low speed follow" feature lets me use it at even lower speeds, provided there's someone in front of me.
On the other hand, LKAS works at a minimum of 40mph, and I have to be driving at a minimum of 45 mph for it to kick in. There are a few 45mph and 55mph stretches of road on my commute, however, I haven't seen the "Steering Required" warning in weeks! If the car dips below 40 mph, LKAS will stop functioning without any warning, that seems to be intentional from the factory because it is reacting to me using the brakes, but there are other times when I'm cruising at 45 or 55mph and the white LKAS status lanes will flash 3 times before becoming outlines, then my car will just start drifting off the road unless I grab the steering wheel. It does this without flashing the bright orange "steering required" alert! It can be a few seconds before I notice I have to be in complete control of the vehicle, so now I have to continuously split my attention between the dashboard and the road in front of me.

Is this just what happens when you use LKAS below 60 mph, or am I missing something important?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had my Insight EX 2021 since the beginning June. In mid-June my family took it on vacation - the drive was over five hours each way. I used Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and the car basically drove itself on the freeway. I barely had my hands on the steering wheel. Occasionally the orange warning "steering required" would flash on the dashboard; it was very useful as it normally appeared going up a steep hill or in a construction zone.
Since the vacation, I've been enjoying ACC and LKAS on my commute to work, but I live quite close and don't take the freeway. ACC works at speeds as low as 25 mph, and the "low speed follow" feature lets me use it at even lower speeds, provided there's someone in front of me.
On the other hand, LKAS works at a minimum of 40mph, and I have to be driving at a minimum of 45 mph for it to kick in. There are a few 45mph and 55mph stretches of road on my commute, however, I haven't seen the "Steering Required" warning in weeks! If the car dips below 40 mph, LKAS will stop functioning without any warning, that seems to be intentional from the factory because it is reacting to me using the brakes, but there are other times when I'm cruising at 45 or 55mph and the white LKAS status lanes will flash 3 times before becoming outlines, then my car will just start drifting off the road unless I grab the steering wheel tightly. It does this without flashing the bright orange "steering required" alert! It can be a few seconds before I notice I have to be in complete control of the vehicle, so now I have to continuously split my attention between the dashboard and the road in front of me.

Is this just what happens when you use LKAS below 60 mph, or am I missing something important?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, I accidentally replied to my message instead of editing it.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
33 Posts
It can be a few seconds before I notice I have to be in complete control of the vehicle
The above quote is very concerning. LKAS is NOT a self driving technology and you are supposed to be in complete control of the vehicle at ALL times. It's certainly not intended to ever allow you to take your hands off the wheel. It's only intended to assist the driver and prevent lane wandering due to fatigue or inattentiveness. If you are using the LKAS system as intended, the system turning off without notice due to poor lane markings or to low speed should not be a problem. The single camera system in the Insight is incredibly limited, and that coupled with the poor lane markings on many roads in the U.S. are just two of the reasons LKAS is not intended to ever take steering responsibility from the driver. The "Steering Required" warning is not there to tell you when the LKAS system has turned off or cannot see the lane makings, its there to yell at you when you are not controlling the vehicle as you should be. If you are seeing that warning frequently it means you are misusing the LKAS system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@sjmuller Well that makes some kind of sense.😅 At first when using LKAS, I would "float" my hands around the steering wheel, that is, I would keep my fingers just barely resting on the wheel so that I'd be ready to grip it at any time. This would of course trigger the occasional "steering required" warning because the Insight couldn't always tell that my hands were even there. Sometimes I'd get down to a 4 and 8 position so that I could keep my elbows on the arm rests. And sometimes of course I'd reach down to drink water out of my water bottle, and stuff like that. I like cruise control because it lets me keep my eyes on the road MORE often, without having to think so much about my lane or constantly check my speedometer.
Most of the time on the freeway I'd let the car turn the wheel unless the turn was too tight, and it really didn't complain very often so I assumed that the alerts were tied to the road condition, not the firmness of the grip I was applying...

From the PDF linked by @WorldThatHeSees , I see that "The system gets suspended when the system determines that the driver is not holding the steering wheel for a certain period of time". Well, if the "steering required" message appeared when I was on a straight stretch of road, I would hold onto the steering wheel but not have to do any steering. Then the LKAS would shut off. So that's possibly where I got the idea that the "steering required" alert was tied to the ability to track the road, because sometimes after the alert showed up it would, y'know, stop tracking the road. "correlation is not causation", and all that. But I came to the incorrect conclusion about the alert very quickly after so I can't quite remember the exact source of my misunderstanding.

Anyway... more recently I've been gripping the steering wheel more tightly and always micromanaging the LKAS because I wasn't seeing the "steering required" message... so it's kind of a chicken and egg scenario: did I stop seeing the steering required alert because I'd been holding the wheel "properly", or did I start holding the wheel properly because I wasn't seeing the "steering required" message?
So I don't know if LKAS is going to be "on" or "off" when I get to a certain turn on my commute, and I don't know how much resistance I'll be met with when I turn the steering wheel. This is what I meant by "It can be a few seconds before I notice I have to be in complete control of the vehicle". On the straight road before the turn, I don't know if I'll have to manually turn the car all by myself (a.k.a. I "complete control" over the steering wheel) or if the car will assist in the turning process (something I've personally been thinking of as "partial control", for some reason).

I'm happy to learn that the "steering required" alert has nothing to do with the context of the road ahead, despite it having the same bright orange styling as the "brake" alert, which is designed to alert the driver to a specific, context-based situation in the road ahead. The inner machinations of that display will forever be an enigma...

I know this is a really overly long reply, but I cut out some critical information in my first post and I don't want to leave anybody with the wrong ideas yet again.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
33 Posts
Glad to hear you keep your hands on the wheel these days! These advanced driver assist systems like ACC and LKAS are kind of a double edged sword. They're intended to increase safety but they have the potential to lead to new problems as drivers are lured into a false sense of security and incorrectly believe them to be capable of far more than intended by their designers. Case in point, all of the news articles about fatal Tesla accidents due to drivers incorrectly believing they have a self driving car and not maintaining control of the vehicle. Tesla's "full self drive" software is technically only a level 2 (out of 5) automated system and its drivers are still required to keep their hands on the wheel at all times and maintain control of the vehicle. The Insight's ACC and LKAS are only a level 1 system, the same as regular old dumb cruise control. By all means, keep using them where appropriate, personally, I love my ACC! Just don't assume they are capable of taking over any driving responsibilities in their current iteration. Safe driving out there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the other hand, LKAS works at a minimum of 40mph, and I have to be driving at a minimum of 45 mph for it to kick in. There are a few 45mph and 55mph stretches of road on my commute, however, I haven't seen the "Steering Required" warning in weeks! If the car dips below 40 mph, LKAS will stop functioning without any warning, that seems to be intentional from the factory because it is reacting to me using the brakes, but there are other times when I'm cruising at 45 or 55mph and the white LKAS status lanes will flash 3 times before becoming outlines, then my car will just start drifting off the road unless I grab the steering wheel. It does this without flashing the bright orange "steering required" alert! It can be a few seconds before I notice I have to be in complete control of the vehicle, so now I have to continuously split my attention between the dashboard and the road in front of me.

Whether you're using LKAS and ACC to "self-drive" or not is not for me to judge. What I can confidently say is there is definitely a problem with your Sensing system and you should take it to the dealer to have them look at it. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts