Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has gotten the sizing for the steering wheel because I am thinking of getting a leather stitch cover for it. I am just confused if it is more Civic sized or Accord sized or its own unique.

Also has anyone upgraded their wheels to anything 17" or 18" besides the one that Honda offers? I have only seen 1 person on this forum that has done so.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
If you don't get response to steering wheel info this post or the other similar one (https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7...718-2019-insight-steering-wheel-diameter.html) you might consider visiting a dealership to measure/compare steering wheels across their floor models.

I couldn't find info on whether Civic OEM seat covers would fit the Insight, so took front and rear measurements at a dealership to compare. (The answer is that the seat measurements are VERY close and the Civic OEM rear seat cover fits pretty well!) The dealership didn't mind me, and I had high confidence on the fit before I ordered.

Not to 'steer' you in the wrong direction, but if I had to GUESS I'd say the Insight steering wheel is similar in size to the Accord, but only on the basis of the controls being similar between the two.

Personally, I purchased a universal fit cover for a 14.5-15.5" diameter steering wheel and have been happy with it so far. The Insight's steering wheel is thicker than I've had on my prior Hondas, so the universal cover doesn't fully wrap all parts of the wheel, but it meets my need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leather Steering Cover

I am using leather steering cover I bought for my old 2002 Acura TL.
As you can see, the Insight wheel is the same diameter but thicker so it does not wrap around all the way to inside.
It does give me a nice grip with my thumb fitting perfectly at the inside edge.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
I am using leather steering cover I bought for my old 2002 Acura TL.
As you can see, the Insight wheel is the same diameter but thicker so it does not wrap around all the way to inside.
It does give me a nice grip with my thumb fitting perfectly at the inside edge.
FYI - this looks similar to the coverage I have with my "universal fit" 14.5-15.5 inch steering wheel cover

·
Registered
64 Posts
Whatever you guys do don't get a cover with fake wood grain. Seen them on some Lexus's and it just looks tacky and would be even worse on Honda's like this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info and great to know the EX Accord matches insight EX. I was actually looking at the cover that you have to stitch yourself from CaraiD I think?... I wanted it to completely cover so it had the cross-stitch. Not just to decide perforated or normal

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a leather wheel off of ebay, 2018 civic. Fit was perfect. Couple notes. Leather wheel had the two electric panels removed poorly. Really inspect the hole they slide into, it is less than a half inch deep & 1/4 wide. If pulled poorly by someone not taking care to lift panel out straight, the basket surround will crack. So there are 2 per side, 4 total. When unscrewed lift straight up from the plane that is parallel to center bolt, perpendicular to the metal base of the wheel. Having seen the crackage on my new wheel, I was careful to pull from my stock plastic wheel. It looks like you should pull up and out straight with respect to the face of the switchboard. nope. Also of note, regarding the legs of the switch panel that go into the holes, one goes deeper per switch. So once one leg out, its easy to choose the wrong angle as your friction drops in half causing your pullout to wonk a hard right just as it is almost out. Longer leg, deeper hole is the one that was cracked on my new leather wheel. This was probably why. Again, as one leg is about to come out, take your time move slowly. Your angle of pull is gonna vector badly when 1st leg pops out. 2nd leg twists it's angle as it is still 1/8 in hole.

So on my new leather wheel (my insight is an an EX) plastic was cracked a little. I glued the piece that had split outward. (a small dab of gorilla glue). It stayed in and looked like it will hold. After letting that setup for awhile I reassembled. Point is look to make sure they aren't broken, as potentially it could be a deal breaker. Imagine your cruise control and radio controls were wobbly. That would suck.

Anther note is when pulling the wheel, allow yourself a couple of tries on getting wheel back on centered. Because connection is a bolt instead of a nut, and you are swapping wheels, their is just no way to mark. The further complication is there is no wheel lock. So wheels were free to move. I have never seen a car that didn't have the lock. A few trucks and OLD cars with the starter switch in the dash, like 55 chevy etc.

I pulled the wheel off 3 times and it is still off a notch. One of the times I pulled and put it back in the same **** spot. Pay close attention when going from tooth to tooth. Worst of all, I had to undo battery and airbag ea time. I am no longer a daredevil. Hint: those clips on the airbag electrical connectors that look like they squeeze together are really for lifting. Watch a youtube video on that before you chew them up.

Leather wheel is a much better feel; no longer rental car crap, it's now the great feeling leather wrapped.

Best $49 I've spent on car so far.

but ..
new wheels, tint, and orange spraying the rear turn signal lenses coming soon. Clear turn lens there is the ugliest spot on car. Might plastic dip or black gloss paint etc the stretched chrome longhorn in headlights and grille and might murder out the whole grille gloss black to match. Photoshop mockups look good. Now to buy supplies for those projects and some 17 inch tires would be nice. Anybody need a back up set of the 16" alloys with 2k mi on new tires/car? Near Boulder, Co? We could make a deal. Some ceramic dark tint for all but windshield and clearish windshield ceramic tint could maybe get a set of wheels & tires.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
I bought a leather wheel off of ebay, 2018 civic. Fit was perfect. [...] Leather wheel is a much better feel; no longer rental car crap, it's now the great feeling leather wrapped. Best $49 I've spent on car so far.
Sounds like a complex/detailed job, so congrats on getting it done! $49 for a leather wheel is much less than the $155 for the OEM full leather replacement assembly posted earlier in this thread... https://www.buyhondapartsnow.com/oem-parts/honda-grip-nh900l-leather-deep-black-78501tvaa10za/

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know now how to stitch the steering wheel cover to match the OEM type of stitching.

Get a Wheelskins cover and you are good to go. It will be about 98% OEM, simply because the OEM uses glue and goes up the spokes also.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
This is a Wheelskins wheel cover on a previous car.

It is slightly custom, and not really all that hard to do. This method is actually more than OEM on the stitching, but I had plenty of string, I actually like the look and feel.
Is the Insight the left-side picture, and your prior car the right-side picture? Did you end up re-using the same steering wheel cover, or did they both happen to be gray?

I like how the Wheelskins version wraps the entire steering wheel in the pictures. My aftermarket / generic one leaves an open, unprotected area on the inner ring of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is the Insight the left-side picture, and your prior car the right-side picture? Did you end up re-using the same steering wheel cover, or did they both happen to be gray?

I like how the Wheelskins version wraps the entire steering wheel in the pictures. My aftermarket / generic one leaves an open, unprotected area on the inner ring of the steering wheel.
I have a touring. Both pictures are my old car.

I used that particular skin twice, once I figured out how to do the OEM stitch, it really made a huge difference in comfort to me. I really like the little tactile stimulation on my fingers. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Wheelskins standard is 1 piece, but they can do 4 pieces with alternating colors. The OEM is a 3 piece so it can go up the spokes, and is glued onto the spokes.

This is the OEM stitch vs "advanced" Wheelskins stitch.

I say advanced because the instructions in the Wheelskins kit does not show you how to do this. Wheelskins is surprisingly easy to talk to. I have emailed them several times and shown them my install. You have to order/ask them for another string with the kit to do this kind of stitching.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I've always used good-grade steering wheel covers to keep my hands warm in cold weather. Low cost, quite durable. Some are quite handsome. Wide variety of looks.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I've always used good-grade steering wheel covers to keep my hands warm in cold weather. Low cost, quite durable. Some are quite handsome. Wide variety of looks.
You're not alone. Along with seat covers and floor mats, steering wheel cover is something I bought... even before taking delivery of the car. :)

I will say though, that I feel more "bonded" and one with my car while driving when I have actual contact with the steering wheel grips. I didn't realize this until driving home from fuel pump recall repair, and I'd removed the steering wheel cover before dropping off at dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts