Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I recently spent several weeks taking my car apart on the interior wiring new speakers, two amplifiers, and a line output converter. I subsequently needed to disable my active noise cancellation module as anytime you have an amplified system, particularly subwoofers, the active noise cancellation system detects the subwoofer notes and thinks it's road noise and then puts out an opposing sound wave in an attempt to cancel it out and it sounds atrocious. I also am not at all a fan of the pedestrian warning sound that the car gives off at low speeds in EV mode. Recent legislation in the US has made it law that EV's come equipped with audible pedestrian warning systems, but I think it's pretty silly for the most part. I'm a grown up who is more than capable of avoiding pedestrians and honestly don't appreciate this noisy module being forced on me. So after doing some research, here is how to disable both of these modules.

First, you're going to need to remove your glove box. This is simple. Open your glove box reach towards the back sides of it and pull them in and it will lower further than usual at which point you can pull on it and it will become unclipped from its plastic hinges. Along the top of the glove box interior, you'll see four black screws that you'll need to remove along with a fifth screw at the bottom left of the glove box area. At this point you will need your passenger door open to remove the plastic panel on the side of the dash that is typically not visible when your door is shut. This simply clips on and can be pulled off with no tools. Now that that part is out of the way, you can pull the plastic glove box frame down from the top portion of it. This piece will require a little more effort than the side panel but again just clips back into place. There is no need to completely remove it, just open it enough to where you can see inside the dash over it. Just a little left of the middle of the glove box area you will find your active noise cancellation module. It can be disabled by simply unplugging it. You may also disable it if you have taken apart your head unit by disconnecting/ cutting the green wire in the middle of the 24 pin connector that plugs into the back of the radio, which is also the connector you will use if you are doing custom audio work. The green wire simply sends an on/off signal to that module.

Now to disable the audible pedestrian warning system. You'll find this in between the head unit and the glove box but can be accessed easiest from the glove box area. Simply unplugging this module will cause a fault code, and your car will relentlessly indicate that there is a malfunction and to see your dealer. It will drive just fine you'll just have that annoying warning on your dash. To avoid this, cut the red and blue wire that are next to each other in the center of wire connector. This may take a little bit of work as there's not much leeway for the wiring making it semi-difficult to cut, but still only took a few minutes. I used liquid electrical tape to cover the ends of the cut wires. Plug it back in and your good! The red and blue wires go to the exterior speaker that's located under the headlight, so if I cutting those, the car still thinks it's sending a signal to the speakers but it never reaches the speaker of course, so you don't get the sound or a malfunction notice. My car now stays perfectly silent at low speeds, with no warning lights on.

The link below highlights where exactly these two modules are located.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HK844UQecAmSGEL59

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Wow, you must have an inside connection to technician info at the "https://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/" site. The diagrams you've posted here and in prior threads have been interesting and better detail than manual. Are there any other inside-info or diagrams you've seen and/or can share...?

The Canadian Insight has a button where the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System can be turned off, but even that version comes back on when the system is powered back on (pg 468 of Owners Manual).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of completely replacing the audio system in my 2019 Insight Touring. I find the stock "premium" system to be almost unlistenable.

Would you mind sharing any tips or insights (no pun intended) you discovered when replacing your system? Any issues to be aware of or pitfalls to avoid?

What equipment did you install?

I know this is a lot to ask, buy I would be in your debt.

Thank you in advance!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Would you mind sharing any tips or insights (no pun intended) you discovered when replacing your system? Any issues to be aware of or pitfalls to avoid?
While waiting on a better response from INSIGHT_OUTTASIGHT, this prior thread started by @Proforce offered helpful tips for upgrading speakers without cutting, and suggested deadening material to improve sound quality to possibly eliminate upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Reactions: J. Bond

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’d just like to know How To Disable The Fake Engine Noise. Come on Honda, “What the **** were you thinking!” I’m sure most ALL would be happy if the Droning could be eliminated or at least muffled some.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I’d just like to know How To Disable The Fake Engine Noise. Come on Honda, “What the **** were you thinking!” I’m sure most ALL would be happy if the Droning could be eliminated or at least muffled some.
It would be cool if we could change it to a sound of our choosing. Let the hilarity begin. 😜

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry it's been so long, just been busy. I will do my best to answer as many questions as possible that I received both in this forum, and P.M. someone asked me about specks regarding the system I installed. I did not use anything ridiculously crazy as far as amps go.

I have:
Audio Control LC7i
JL 250/1v2
Kicker CXA300/4
Two 10in Polk Audio subs(idr their wattage rating, but I know that my amplifier is the limiting factor with those)
And 4 Pioneer TS-A1680F A Series 6.5" 350 Watts Max 4-Way.

The 12v electrical system supports it just fine.
This car's 12v does not charge like a traditional gas car. There is no alternator for it. The Hybrid high voltage battery charges the 12 volt battery. That being the case I don't know what amperage it can handle, and after reaching out to Honda, they were of little help and did not give me an answer. But I have now had my system for a little while and the battery is doing just fine so I can at least vouch for a system using at least the same amount of power as mine listed above.

To address the question about the legality or possible legal repercussions of disabling the pedestrian warning, I don't believe it's plausible to assume that they are going to check and see if your pedestrian warning module had been disabled. And if you think you're really at risk of hitting a child or someone else, you're more than welcome to leave yours on. I however know how to avoid pedestrians and take additional proactive measures knowing that my car's silent and can easily sneak up on people, such as swinging wider than normal to go around a pedestrian, or turning music up a little bit so that I'm heard but not being obnoxious, or turning on the AC which makes a sound while it's running.

I paid $20 for 2 days temporary access to the website where I got this information, and it is the same guides that the technicians use at Honda dealerships.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think it's more an issue of whether pedestrians know you're there-- whether they can see or hear you!

We don't have 360 degree vision or cameras, and, depending on where you drive, it's very likely someone will cross unexpectedly in front of the car.

Ah, legality. Yes, smart personal injury lawyers will check to see if the alert sounds were on or not, especially if it's an electric or hybrid vehicle, and their client was injured. And, tells them, they didn't even hear a car!

Plus, there's the simple ethics of it. You're doing it for others!

In any event, I like the idea of people being able to customize the sound. Indeed, I've often thought it'd be great to have a set of options for the car to shout out different phrases:

You're tailgating, buddy!

Watch out!

Any other shade of green?

(At stop lights, when people are gabbing.)

Turn the bloody music down!

(People in other cars must be deaf -- or doing deaf -- if we can hear their music inside of an Insight with the windows up!

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
In any event, I like the idea of people being able to customize the sound.
I would so be up for being able to customize the sound! Think of the possibilities! I would totally try out Chewbacca's roar. That, or a Tie Fighter sound.

We need to find out how to hack this.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I would so be up for being able to customize the sound! Think of the possibilities! I would totally try out Chewbacca's roar. That, or a Tie Fighter sound.
Reminds me of this older youtube spoof video below, on alternate sounds for hybrid cars. Chewbacca could definitely fit in there.

Also, this CNet article on Harman/Tesla partnership for V8 electric sound mentions future plans to make alternate sound options an aftermarket option for older electric cars. Maybe hacking the system will soon be a reality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Question for those who have disabled the Noise Cancellation Module so they could boost the sound system. I was considering it but I wanted to know how much louder is the cabin noise when you are not drowning it out with music? I'm worried it's going to be very noisy when I driving with music off/phone/or with passenger.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Question for those who have disabled the Noise Cancellation Module so they could boost the sound system. I was considering it but I wanted to know how much louder is the cabin noise when you are not drowning it out with music? I'm worried it's going to be very noisy when I driving with music off/phone/or with passenger.
This is a bane in my existence. It can make a difference but I'm not completely convinced either way yet. Please check out my videos on you tube for my thoughts on this. Right now I'm running without the anc and I'm not sure I'm happy. It seems it takes the anc some time to adapt before I notice a difference when I plug it back in so it takes some time for me to evaluate how it responds. This could be my imagination but I'm going to plug it back in after my sound system appointment on Monday and drive Ruby a bit more to do another evaluation.

·
Registered
836 Posts
This is a bane in my existence. It can make a difference but I'm not completely convinced either way yet. Please check out my videos on you tube for my thoughts on this. Right now I'm running without the anc and I'm not sure I'm happy. It seems it takes the anc some time to adapt before I notice a difference when I plug it back in so it takes some time for me to evaluate how it responds. This could be my imagination but I'm going to plug it back in after my sound system appointment on Monday and drive Ruby a bit more to do another evaluation.
I wonder how it accomplishes this. It's awesome that it seems to be adaptive. I wonder if it tells the system to boost output in detected frequencies, increases white noise, or uses half waves to actually "cancel" out the sound frequencies it wants to "drown out"

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think I'll see on Monday when we check frequencies on a meter if the anc sends anything while sitting still. I doubt it will do anything then but maybe I'll see something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello all. I recently spent several weeks taking my car apart on the interior wiring new speakers, two amplifiers, and a line output converter. I subsequently needed to disable my active noise cancellation module as anytime you have an amplified system, particularly subwoofers, the active noise cancellation system detects the subwoofer notes and thinks it's road noise and then puts out an opposing sound wave in an attempt to cancel it out and it sounds atrocious. I also am not at all a fan of the pedestrian warning sound that the car gives off at low speeds in EV mode. Recent legislation in the US has made it law that EV's come equipped with audible pedestrian warning systems, but I think it's pretty silly for the most part. I'm a grown up who is more than capable of avoiding pedestrians and honestly don't appreciate this noisy module being forced on me. So after doing some research, here is how to disable both of these modules.

First, you're going to need to remove your glove box. This is simple. Open your glove box reach towards the back sides of it and pull them in and it will lower further than usual at which point you can pull on it and it will become unclipped from its plastic hinges. Along the top of the glove box interior, you'll see four black screws that you'll need to remove along with a fifth screw at the bottom left of the glove box area. At this point you will need your passenger door open to remove the plastic panel on the side of the dash that is typically not visible when your door is shut. This simply clips on and can be pulled off with no tools. Now that that part is out of the way, you can pull the plastic glove box frame down from the top portion of it. This piece will require a little more effort than the side panel but again just clips back into place. There is no need to completely remove it, just open it enough to where you can see inside the dash over it. Just a little left of the middle of the glove box area you will find your active noise cancellation module. It can be disabled by simply unplugging it. You may also disable it if you have taken apart your head unit by disconnecting/ cutting the green wire in the middle of the 24 pin connector that plugs into the back of the radio, which is also the connector you will use if you are doing custom audio work. The green wire simply sends an on/off signal to that module.

Now to disable the audible pedestrian warning system. You'll find this in between the head unit and the glove box but can be accessed easiest from the glove box area. Simply unplugging this module will cause a fault code, and your car will relentlessly indicate that there is a malfunction and to see your dealer. It will drive just fine you'll just have that annoying warning on your dash. To avoid this, cut the red and blue wire that are next to each other in the center of wire connector. This may take a little bit of work as there's not much leeway for the wiring making it semi-difficult to cut, but still only took a few minutes. I used liquid electrical tape to cover the ends of the cut wires. Plug it back in and your good! The red and blue wires go to the exterior speaker that's located under the headlight, so if I cutting those, the car still thinks it's sending a signal to the speakers but it never reaches the speaker of course, so you don't get the sound or a malfunction notice. My car now stays perfectly silent at low speeds, with no warning lights on.

The link below highlights where exactly these two modules are located.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HK844UQecAmSGEL59
Just curious if your warning message came back?

So I attempted to disable the audible pedestrian warning system. First just cut the red wire. That did it for a day then the warning message came on. Then cut the blue wire that solved it for a day then the warning came back on. Tried attaching the red and blue wire still warning message came on but varied from 10 sec to 1 minute before it showed up. Then gave up and Micky Moused the S out of it to connect the wires back and now I'm back where I started and glad that the wiring is hidden so nobody can see the mess I made!

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts

So I attempted to disable the audible pedestrian warning system. First just cut the red wire. That did it for a day then the warning message came on. Then cut the blue wire that solved it for a day then the warning came back on. Tried attaching the red and blue wire still warning message came on but varied from 10 sec to 1 minute before it showed up. Then gave up and Micky Moused the S out of it to connect the wires back and now I'm back where I started and glad that the wiring is hidden so nobody can see the mess I made!
lol :grin:

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts

Jack the Ripper is not dead! He's trying to disable Insight pedestrian warning systems!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't know why you guys want to disable the pedestrian warning system? I love the noise it makes and pedestrians always smile at me when they hear it. It's Uber cool. Like me. 😉

1 - 20 of 30 Posts