Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or better yet .. just wait until I get to 36k miles , which I should be there soon (at a little under 24k now) and then do install..

Hopefully it doesn’t void the powertrain warranty..

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Or better yet .. just wait until I get to 36k miles , which I should be there soon (at a little under 24k now) and then do install..

Hopefully it doesn’t void the powertrain warranty..
If you're concerned this might affect your powertrain warranty, you might as well also check if it impacts your extended emissions warranty as well (though hopefully unlikely?).

Since you live in California (as one of 15 states included in extended emissions warranty), you have 15 yr/150k coverage on the hybrid system, and 10 yr/150k coverage on the HV battery. Wouldn't want to lose those either...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're concerned this might affect your powertrain warranty, you might as well also check if it impacts your extended emissions warranty as well (though hopefully unlikely?).

Since you live in California (as one of 15 states included in extended emissions warranty), you have 15 yr/150k coverage on the hybrid system, and 10 yr/150k coverage on the HV battery. Wouldn't want to lose those either...

Ya .. I’ll have to definitely check-in with Honda.. on the bright side, all the stuff I bought is still returnable.. :angel:

I really wanted this sound system too.. but if it voids any of the warranties , I’m out..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I just got off the phone with someone from my local Honda dealership..

He was saying just changing out speakers and keeping OEM wiring is fine , but when you start installing subs and amps and being that they have to tap into fuses for that, if any electrical problems are traceable back to the sub and amp install, it can void bumper to bumper warranty and potentially hybrid system and hybrid battery warranty as well.. but not powertrain..

He was fair though.. he said each advisor will probably have a slightly different opinion on that..

At this point , I’m thinking of just changing out the headunit and speakers (and keeping OEM wiring) and returning the sub and selling off my amp..

Im kinda down about this now but better not take too much risk as I plan on keeping this car long term..

I’m even considering scrapping the whole sound system idea now too..

I hate to scare anyone that has done a sub and amp install already but just relaying what I was told..

For those that were waiting for my install surprise, I was going to mount some Focal tweeters where the small side rear glass is and point it toward the passengers.. but that idea was scrapped for 2 reasons (1) because of this current situation (2) probably will get complaints from passengers about music being too loud or right in their ear.

Darnit!!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
That's crap. Installing a sub involves no real change to the car. Just a hookup to the 12 volt battery for your power and a tap to the speaker wires. Removing the door is a nothing burger and requires the release of one screw, one connector for your window controls and a couple of clips on the door. Connecting new 6 1/2 speakers requires a speaker ring adapter and a speaker wire adapter so your speaker wires won't be cut. The tweeter doesn't have an adapter so you'll have to splice new wires in but that's nothing either and won't hurt the car. I can't imagine you'll need to drill anything. Changing the head unit (I can only assume you have an lx) is probably a bigger deal. The ex and touring currently don't have a way to change the head units as far as I can tell. Putting in a sub with sub amp is elementary and won't effect anything except improve your sound. If a Yahoo causes damage to your systems then you go back to best buy and they will pay for the damage. The guy at Best buy needs to check in his system since info should be in there now. I know this for a fact since I was partially responsible for getting the info put in. If he needs advice tell him to call the south Portland best buy store 531 and John can help him. John can get in touch with me and I can talk to the guy too. You CAN have a sub with amp without danger to your system and without voiding your warranty. You can reach me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to help you with this

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of this last night and today I’m going to move ahead with complete sound system installation. I think I found really good installers and this seems like a low risk situation.

What can I say, I really love high quality audio. :smile_big::smile_big:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts