Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this deserved its own thread as I don’t think any Insight owner has done this.

After thinking about whether I should cut metal and install the sub in the deck, I ultimately decided against it and decided to cut the rear plastic deck and place the sub over the metal (which is sound deadened and foamed up). I thought the sub would sink in more but there’s barely any room between plastic and metal.

The sub barely fits between speakers but thank God it did. It doesn’t block too much of my view either.

I wanted the sub to be exposed in the interior as opposed to being under all that sound deadening from the deck. Plus I didn’t have to sound deaden trunk.

So far so good as there is no rattling from deck itself. Also got the sub remote installed in the blank slot near gas door button and returning my under seat sub.

D3B517FE-148B-404D-8324-549C535D6BD7.jpeg
4240C67B-C3C2-4C2D-A469-92EF985F7A1C.jpeg
B3CB2071-4874-4FFC-B47F-7EE7E059AA6A.jpeg
1ED30A6A-D24C-48F5-A25D-1806DC5852D1.jpeg
275632A4-F7C3-44E4-B64F-542A296F39F9.jpeg

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's well advertised what it is - I hope you don't park in any high crime areas.. Just sayin..
I have been in high crime areas a lot since I’m all over the place..I’m not parking my car long though and going out for a stroll or anything..I’m usually just driving around in those areas.

I guess if i got really concerned, I could just cover the logo with electrical tape. Plus my rear has a dark tint making it less obvious.

So, how does it sound ?
It has good bass at the mid and high levels.. if I wanted really good bass at the low-end, I’d probably need at least a 10”. With it being closer to driver and inside car, you feel more of the bass.

The audio shop owner tuned the sub for me but I think I was exploring more of the sub settings on my Pioneer 4500nex yesterday to see if I could find something better.

I may have to do some research online to see how people have tuned it. It sounds much better than the underseat sub I had but recently I’ve been listening to music from my home audio setup (which has a 12” sub) so Im kind of got used to the thunderous bass.

This sub will shake glass when turned up and if you know how to adjust the knob correctly, you can get good bass without the noise of the actual box (which does happen when set too high)..each song/piece is different so I found myself adjusting the sub a lot yesterday just to hit that sweet spot. Plus i need about 2 weeks to break-in.

This is my first real sub in any of my cars and I’m liking it so far. Although I’m still open to metal cutting/metal panel removal (to submerge sub) because sub blocks my lower center rear view, which is slightly annoying but I can use side mirrors to overcome that (but still).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad to hear your work was rewarded

I'm not that adventuresome anymore. There was a time, during a succession of Chevy Cavaliers, when my "sub-woofer" was an Acoustic Research AR-3 speaker (12 inch woofer) in the trunk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I decided to cut the metal in rear deck to fit the JL audio 8” sub but it wouldn’t fit without having to cut center seat belt so Ive decided to return it and got a 10” JL Audio shallow-depth sub (10TW3-D4) and get a custom box for it.

I went to another audio shop this time and they seemed to do better work (at least with regards to custom work) and cut a good fitting piece from rear deck to fit box. And they even made a custom wood fabrication to put over the sub so you can’t see messy area surrounding where the sub is installed (pictured).

I now have all my rear view back and the bass from this thing is amazing and is much better than the 8”! It’s connected to another JL audio amp. Since the sub is not as close to rear glass as the 8” JL, there is no glass vibration noise and now it’s just a clean deep bass. Plus I get to keep all my vital trunk space and spare tire area.

I couldn’t be happier with this sub.
3192A3CD-4F5D-4297-9F2A-F1A2FE066D40.jpeg
1655B7B6-0DC6-458F-8BD6-42D1DE92A0A4.jpeg
901E3E87-4F0D-4398-83E0-E2100B7F7037.jpeg
FEC915A6-E48D-41CD-8DC6-8A3DF5D709FA.jpeg
2795F8CF-A2FD-46C4-B57B-47560692166C.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts