Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm planning on keeping everything stock with the 10 Speakers except the stock bass woofer. Has anyone added a JLAudio 10"Selfpowerd Sub/Amp? How difficult is this project? How much will a pro audio shop charge me to install this powered Sub.
This 10"Sub/amp built in is rated 400RMS

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also..how is the stock head unit with my TOURING trim? Is the EQ pretty flat? ..OR do I need a JL Audio Fix-86 to make sound EQ flat for better Highs amd Mids?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Hello. I'm planning on keeping everything stock with the 10 Speakers except the stock bass woofer. Has anyone added a JLAudio 10"Selfpowerd Sub/Amp? How difficult is this project? How much will a pro audio shop charge me to install this powered Sub. This 10"Sub/amp built in is rated 400RMS

Also..how is the stock head unit with my TOURING trim? Is the EQ pretty flat? ..OR do I need a JL Audio Fix-86 to make sound EQ flat for better Highs amd Mids?
Please check out threads posted within this same "User Interface" section of the forum for some starting reading on your questions...

A JL 250/1v2 was installed by @INSIGHT_OUTTASIGHT:

Comments/observations on Touring equalizer:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I take off the Stock Subwoofer and just use those stock power cables to power my JL Audio 10" Sub w/built-in Amp ?

·
Registered
642 Posts
You'll definitely want something to recover lost bass that the system holds back on. If the jl system doesn't have it then I would recommend an audio control lc2i to help restore the bass held back from the system to save the original cheap speakers.

The equalization in the car is especially bright. If you're okay with the current sound aside from the bass then a DSP won't be necessary. If you want to listen at significant volumes, then I would recommend a DSP to flatten the eq before the center channel peels the enamel off your teeth from the excessive highs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Verdier, I'm planning on keeping the Stock 10speakers on my TOURING trim. I just want to replace the Stock Bass Woofer with a JL Audio 10" Sub/Amp built-in 400 RMS. It's loud enough for the LOWS and saves space. Pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can we replace the Stock amplifier that powers the 9 speakers?

I'm planning on buying a 6channel amp. How would you power the 9 speakers using a 6channle amp?
The 6channel amp is ~45watts per channel so it won't blow the OEM 9 speakers on the TOURING trim.

·
Registered
836 Posts

I'm planning on buying a 6channel amp. How would you power the 9 speakers using a 6channle amp?
The 6channel amp is ~45watts per channel so it won't blow the OEM 9 speakers on the TOURING trim.
Possibly, it really depends on how the head-unit outputs to which channels. Obviously the center speaker gets one channel. Question being does the factory system use a crossover for the fronts (mid-range and tweeter). If yes, than 2 channels front, left/right. The rears are probably a co-axial design, so 2 channels for the rear. One channel left over. Should work in theory, and allow you to turn down the gains of the center channel to help correct the sound staging issues, and over-powered center channel.

I haven't looked at the touring audio system enough to know if it's 2 separate sets of rears (doors/ rear deck-lid for example.).

If you are going this route, I would definitely look into a DSP.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
In the first thread recommendation provided above, @INSIGHT_OUTTASIGHT used a 6-channel 'Audio Control LC7i' to upgrade the EX system. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2334-[how-]disable-audible-pedestrian-warning-system-module-active-noise-cancellatio.html

Paying $20 for 2 days of temporary access to the 'Honda Tech' website also provided access to wiring diagrams, which were shared in the following thread and may help with your question on power sources. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2198-audio-wiring-harness.html#post11768

·
Registered
836 Posts
In the first thread recommendation provided above, @INSIGHT_OUTTASIGHT used a 6-channel 'Audio Control LC7i' to upgrade the EX system. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2334-[how-]disable-audible-pedestrian-warning-system-module-active-noise-cancellatio.html

Paying $20 for 2 days of temporary access to the 'Honda Tech' website also provided access to wiring diagrams, which were shared in the following thread and may help with your question on power sources. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2198-audio-wiring-harness.html#post11768
The major difference is OP has a touring, different speaker set up than LX/EX cars.

·
Registered
642 Posts

You'll want an amp with speaker level inputs and with summing ability or you need to get a line level converter to switch the speaker inputs to line level inputs. The audio control stuff has some summing abilities and can restore lost bass the system chokes to avoid blowing cheap speakers. I have a fair number of videos about my exploits with the touring sound system on you tube on my channel verdier 400. I'm going to have the system tone tested on Monday to figure out what amps to get. I'll also be getting a DSP to fix the horrid eq levels. I may need to get 2 amps to push all the speakers since I'd like to run active so I can time align all of them to my seating position.

You can not replace the amp in the touring at this time

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks Verdier, I'm planning on keeping the Stock 10speakers on my TOURING trim. I just want to replace the Stock Bass Woofer with a JL Audio 10" Sub/Amp built-in 400 RMS. It's loud enough for the LOWS and saves space. Pic below.
Might be loud enough, but if the system is cutting lows out at higher volumes which many do, then you'll need to recover the bass that's cut otherwise your sub won't be as effective at higher volumes. Find out if the jl system has the ability to recover system choked bass first.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is this due to the communications (can-bus system)? Just curious.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is this due to the communications (can-bus system)? Just curious.
As far as i can tell they've hooked the entire audio system's control into the amp itself so if you tried replacing it you'd probably lose function in the display and definitely steering controls. No one has made an interface yet that can do a bypass on this amp to keep control with replacement amps. The audio control stuff can bypass this with line converters but only after the amp, not before. At least not yet. To make matters worse, as far as I've been able to discern, this is the only car that uses the amp in question so a bypass may take a while to be made since we're talking about a smaller number of cars. Maestro and other companies have to think they're going to make a profit before they invest in making a bypass unit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think we have to wait until a company designs a aftermarket amplifier specifically for a INSIGHT..it seems like this is all trial & error. I don't want to lose any functions on my HVAC controls.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The couple JL boxes I've heard are quite impressive for their size. I seriously considered one for my Highlander but ended up with a lesser one that fit better into the side wells and under the folded rear seats. If you haven't already, I'd definitely audition one in a trunk vs in the cabin of a sedan/hatchback/suv. Even positioning in a trunk can affect the response quite a bit.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think we have to wait until a company designs a aftermarket amplifier specifically for a INSIGHT..it seems like this is all trial & error. I don't want to lose any functions on my HVAC controls.
There are plenty of amps to use with systems like this. You just need to use either line converters or amps with speaker level inputs. The only thing holding me back is because I want to use a DSP and make all my speakers active so I going to a pro for advice and more info on exactly how many channels the car REALLY has rather than what Honda says it has. If you're waiting for a direct connect input like a maestro component then you might be waiting a while if they make one at all. This car is selling well, but not like an accord and the aftermarket companies have to justify the cost of making such a device. Right now I have all new speakers along with the sub being pushed by an audio control amp. I have full control of the system through the screen with no hiccups. The problem I have is the DSP settings built into the current system is way too shrill at the very high volumes I need to play so I have to run an external DSP to flatten the frequencies so I can listen to it without losing tooth enamel. I go in on Monday for a more thorough evaluation of the system so keep an eye on my channel and I'll let you know what happens. Let me waste my money being the guinea pig and I'll make all the mistakes for you. I'll let you know everything I find out so the rest of you can do an upgrade with less troubles. I won't treat it like a national secret. I like helping the community if I can. Feel free to message me, and if you wish, I'm willing to talk to people on the phone if they need info. Take care and don't give up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude, you are THE MAN! I can't thank you enough for taking this on. Once you've got it all figured out I'll be going for it with your recommendations.
Jim in NorCal.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Dude, you are THE MAN! I can't thank you enough for taking this on. Once you've got it all figured out I'll be going for it with your recommendations.
Jim in NorCal.
No problem. I'm looking forward to my meeting on Monday and I hope this guy can help me figure out a system that can play at high volume without peeling my skin off with incessant screeching.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts