Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Stereo Upgrade - Metra Axxess AX DSPX HN3 Amp Bypass DSP

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  6SPEED 
#1 ·
So like many with the Touring trim the “Premium 10 Speaker” system left a lot to be desired for my ears. In an effort to give the illusion of a high end audio system Honda outfits the Premium system with a 10 speaker system that includes front and rear component sets as well as a center channel and a sub woofer with a multichannel amplifier. But anyone who is any amount of an audiophile will instantly here many issues with Honda’s efforts. The issue is all of the crazy EQing and insane crossover points that Honda programs into the factory amp. The problem is Honda incorporates the absolute cheapest speakers they can make. And the amp programming is meant to eliminate any chance of blowing the speakers at high volume and causing unnecessary warranty claims. Sure you can just replace the cheap speakers with aftermarket components but you will still have to deal with the factory amps programming which will certainly do any aftermarket components a serious injustice. Unfortunately incorporating a DSP and aftermarket amps into a system like this was a serious challenger due to the head unit using a 2 channel digital output to the amp. You can’t just get a wiring harness adapter for a digital signal. Up until now the only way to get better sound was to go in after the factory amp and cut into the factory wiring to add any after market accessories. Well that all changed with the recent addition of the AXDSPX-HN3 | Axxess Integrate and I have incorporated such into my brand new 2020 Insight. The new system is as follows:

Front:
Pioneer TS-Z65C 6.5" Component Speaker System Pioneer TS-Z65C 6.5" Component Speaker System:Amazon:Automotive
There must have been a new guy in the warehouse that day because I actually ordered and paid for the D65C series. Don’t know why they sent me a $100 upgrade for free but I’m not complaining either.

Rear:
Pioneer TS-D65F D Series 6-1/2" 2-Way car Speakers Pioneer TS-D65F D Series 6-1/2" 2-Way car Speakers:Amazon:Car Electronics

Amps 2X:
Soundstream ST4.10000D Compact 4-Channel Car Amplifier 90WX4 - ST4.1000D Soundstream ST4.10000D Compact 4-Channel Car Amplifier 90WX4 - ST4.1000D:Amazon:Car Electronics

Sub:
Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt... Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt Slim Low Profile Active Powered Car Subwoofer Sub:Amazon:Car Electronics

Center:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CERWIN-VE...-Coaxial-Speakers-3-5-250-Watts-max/876586071

The rear tweeters are no longer being utilized in the system so that channel has been eliminated. There is much improvement in the system now that all channels are in the proper phase, much better components are being used, and time alignment and proper EQing is present. I will be uploading a video of the EQing process I am using soon and will link it here. Below are some pics of the new components installed.

See less See more
#2 ·
That’s an interesting location to put the sub. When I was reading the reviews for that sub online, a lot of people said don’t put it in the trunk because it was too weak.

I used to have that sub under my passenger seat but decided to return it. How is it holding up for you in the trunk?

#5 ·
Those controls are still active behind the dash. I have never touched them so it’s not an issue for me. Most people don’t have a radar detector in their Insight as I do so everyone else should have a free blank if they want to install a sub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.