Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears to me that the greatest gains in sound, at least on the EX, is to replace the rear speakers. When you direct all the sound to the rear, you hear just how crappy they are, plus the magnets are tiny. I’m thinking a small amp and good quality rear speakers would make the system sound pretty darn good. Anyone figured out how difficult it would be to replace the rear speakers and what their size and ohm rating is?

·
Registered
454 Posts
In the EX they’re listed as 17cm Pioneer in the rear deck. Most likely 4 ohm. Crutchfield has a nice tool for finding speakers that fit.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
703 Posts
I believe the ex speakers are similar in size to the touring. You should have 6.5 in front and rear and 1in tweeters front and rear. You'll need something like an audio control unit to run off the speaker wires from the factory amp to switch to rca outputs to run your own amp.

If you wish you can change all the speakers instead and just tun off the factory amp. Should improve the sound. I'm going to use kicker qs series component speakers and I think I'll use their crossover as well. They are pricey but very nice. If you need to pay less the ks series components will work too. If you check my channel I have a preview of the speakers I'm installing along with the correct speaker wire harnesses and install parts you need to install in the touring. The speakers are the same size in the ex just lower end tweeters as far as I can tell. That and a lack of a center and built in sub. If anyone needs any info on this feel free to email me at [email protected] and we can talk. I've been working on getting this done for a while and have done a lot of research.

Cheers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From what I have seen...getting to the rear deck speakers is a PITA. I may stick with stock unless there is an easy way.

·
Registered
703 Posts
From what I have seen...getting to the rear deck speakers is a PITA. I may stick with stock unless there is an easy way.
Pita? If that's bad I seriously doubt it. Everything so far has been quite easy and the rears look easy as well.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Pita? If that's bad I seriously doubt it. Everything so far has been quite easy and the rears look easy as well.
PITA stands for 'pain in the a$$'
Ahhhh. Sorry I'm a bit thick. As far as I can tell so far the interior is a giant Lego set with maybe 10 screws. 😉

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow... after actually hearing for the first time and seeing for myself how crappy the rear deck speakers are I'm really considering replacing them...

Considering the following which are basically the same thing...
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R165X3/Rockford-Fosgate-R165X3.html
or
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R1675X2/Rockford-Fosgate-R1675X2.html

I need to check to even see if the magnets on the speakers will fit the openings... I think I'll also have to cut out the surround from the old speakers to adapt to the new ones....I'd rather not pay an additional $13 for the mounting brackets...

It'd be nice to replace the sub too but that might be a little more expensive upgrade.

The front component speakers aren't too bad. After adding sound deadening to the doors they actually sound decent and give a good thump.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wow... after actually hearing for the first time and seeing for myself how crappy the rear deck speakers are I'm really considering replacing them...

or

I need to check to even see if the magnets on the speakers will fit the openings... I think I'll also have to cut out the surround from the old speakers to adapt to the new ones....I'd rather not pay an additional $13 for the mounting brackets...

It'd be nice to replace the sub too but that might be a little more expensive upgrade.

The front component speakers aren't too bad. After adding sound deadening to the doors they actually sound decent and give a good thump.
The brackets are included when ordered from Crutchfield. This is the best feature of Crutchfield, installation gear is often included. In the case of these speakers, you get a plug and play wiring kit, and bracket included with purchase.

·
Registered
703 Posts

or

They should fit fine, but do not get 6 3/4 get 6 1/2. The others might not fit. Also if you replace the sub I don't recommend putting it in the deck, and you WILL need an external amp for the sub. The factory radio won't push out enough wattage to move the cone worth a crap.

Unless you carry a lot of people in the rear and it's important for them to hear major clarity if recommend going for coaxials in the rear. They mostly act as fillers and will sound great. You can get some excellent hertz coax rears for about $250 I think.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just got the rockford fosgate R165x3 speakers for the rear deck. Although now I'm considering which is better....front door speakers or rear deck... Rear deck speakers I believe have less bass than the front but I also believe the front speakers are different than the rear...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just got the rockford fosgate R165x3 speakers for the rear deck. Although now I'm considering which is better....front door speakers or rear deck... Rear deck speakers I believe have less bass than the front but I also believe the front speakers are different than the rear...
In many systems the rear deck speakers are mostly used for fill sound. In the touring the front and rear speakers are the same. I'll bet the ex and lx also have the same main drivers front and rear. You would be better off replacing the fronts first unless bass is your objective then I would recommend you bite the bullet and get a sub.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My Insight is not a P.O.S. I'm just frustrated on how much the rear deck ruins the enjoyment of music :-/

The rear speakers weren't changed out bc when you turn DTS "ON", the rear speakers hardly are on. Try it and you'll be amazed how Shi**y the sound is in the back seat.

With the DTS "OFF", the rear speakers are on, but front sound is sub par

1 - 13 of 13 Posts