Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm having a fluid like noise in the vent when AC is on. I'm trying to locate my AC drain hose to see if its clogged or not. Please share some photos if possible. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hi I'm having a fluid like noise in the vent when AC is on. I'm trying to locate my AC drain hose to see if its clogged or not. Please share some photos if possible. Thank you so much.

Heres another video of a Honda Civic Type R with the same waterfall noise.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Coincidentally enough, I already have that torn apart. I know nothing of the sound, but here is how your hose routes.

It goes through the bottom of the car half way centered on the passenger side, about even with the back of the wheel. I could not see it from the bottom with the cover plates and I am going to bed. Supposed to be 100 something when I wake up so odds are not good on picture then either. Maybe the next night.

You will need to remove the side panel for the center console and the bottom cover panel for the glove box if you want to disconnect it from the top. I believe they both just pull off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Coincidentally enough, I already have that torn apart. I know nothing of the sound, but here is how your hose routes.

View attachment 6941

View attachment 6942

It goes through the bottom of the car half way centered on the passenger side, about even with the back of the wheel. I could not see it from the bottom with the cover plates and I am going to bed. Supposed to be 100 something when I wake up so odds are not good on picture then either. Maybe the next night.

You will need to remove the side panel for the center console and the bottom cover panel for the glove box if you want to disconnect it from the top. I believe they both just pull off.
Thank you so much! Big help! , I've already checked that area but I didnt remove the center panel. I will check it again.

·
Registered
484 Posts
At around 176k miles, I think I’m out of the ac chemical for cooling as I’m 1 bar away from full blast on Lo on a 82 degree day and it’s hot in my car .. I ‘ve noticed that the waterfall noise is no longer present… hmmm

I tried testing it by turning it off and on and turning it to different settings but no waterfall noise.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just dropped my car off at dealership.. the advisor said even at my mileage, the ac chemical should still be good.. he said it could be the condenser failing, which some of us here got a letter about.. if it’s the condenser and they fix it, I hope it fixes the waterfall noise permanately.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
Just dropped my car off at dealership.. the advisor said even at my mileage, the ac chemical should still be good.. he said it could be the condenser failing, which some of us here got a letter about.. if it’s the condenser and they fix it, I hope it fixes the waterfall noise permanately.
I've had a 2019 and a 2021 Insight. Both have had the waterfall noise. I wouldn't expect it to go away.

Hopefully your issue will be fixed under warranty and is not related to road debris damage. You'd need to go through your comprehensive insurance if that's the case.

Reactions: LowRider

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've had a 2019 and a 2021 Insight. Both have had the waterfall noise. I wouldn't expect it to go away.

Hopefully your issue will be fixed under warranty and is not related to road debris damage. You'd need to go through your comprehensive insurance if that's the case.
You don’t think that waterfall noise could be the faulty condenser? I’m bringing my car back Friday to get the condenser replaced because they said mine was leaking and it will be replaced under warranty and they are going to recharge my Freon for free since it’s low.

I’ll just have to wait and see if the waterfall noise goes away with condenser replacement.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
Two cars in a row had had a waterfall noise since new. The a/c works great in both (one is 3+ years old), so I doubt a faulty condenser is the cause.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You don’t think that waterfall noise could be the faulty condenser? I’m bringing my car back Friday to get the condenser replaced because they said mine was leaking and it will be replaced under warranty and they are going to recharge my Freon for free since it’s low.

I’ll just have to wait and see if the waterfall noise goes away with condenser replacement.
The condenser is simply a radiator for the AC system. It can’t contribute to any noises. Only the compressor could possibly make noise. The waterfall noise is caused by the freon moving through usually an expansion valve. You aren’t hearing the waterfall sound anymore because the pressure in the system has gotten so low as to trip the safety switch on the compressor. Basically your compressor is no longer pumping freon through the hoses, thus no noise.

Reactions: LowRider

·
Registered
484 Posts
The condenser is simply a radiator for the AC system. It can’t contribute to any noises. Only the compressor could possibly make noise. The waterfall noise is caused by the freon moving through usually an expansion valve. You aren’t hearing the waterfall sound anymore because the pressure in the system has gotten so low as to trip the safety switch on the compressor. Basically your compressor is no longer pumping freon through the hoses, thus no noise.
yeah I gave it some more thought and came to same conclusion of lack of Freon. Thanks for clarifying the condenser function.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got my car back today after about three hours of work with the dealership replacing the condenser and recharging the Freon. I just tested it again on Lo, circulate, AC on top half, and alternating between level 3.4.and 5 for 10 minutes. I turned off all my music and put my car in ACC and listened intently for any hint of the waterfall noise but I heard absolutely nothing. I’m wondering if it’s going to come back when I don’t expect it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
After hours of ac use on lowest setting , I just heard a little of it. Looks like it might slowly all come back..

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just letting you guys know this a normal noise from any ac/refrigeration unit. You notice it more on our cars because there is no engine running at stop most times.. My fridge in my kitchen makes the same noises. Another reason it may be more noticeable on our cars is that our ac compressor can run at different speeds depending on the cooling demands at the time. When it is running really slow - you will tend to hear more gasses running through the system because your fan is probably also blowing very low at the time as well. There is nothing wrong with your ac system I promise.. I have had my car since Jan 2019 and have 88k on it and have heard the noises since day one.. Never thought anything about it because I have heard other systems make similar noises. I think that this system is just more noticeable because the cars themselves are inherently quiet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts