Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put studded snow on my Civic hybrid, mpg went down about 10%. I'm assuming the Insight will be same or worse.

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I put studded snow on my Civic hybrid, mpg went down about 10%. I'm assuming the Insight will be same or worse.
Do you even need studded snow tires? Stud-less snow tires have come so far, and studs only really help out on ice, they are terrible in almost every other weather condition. Part of the reason you lost 10% could be from tires slipping on dry/wet surfaces when the studs actually reduce traction.

Reactions: andrew28

·
Registered
836 Posts
I wanted to see what I could get without using the heater tonight on my round trip.

Weather Condition: 30F and Windy
Cold Engine: 10.5 miles (42.7mpg), Normal mode, no heater usage, 60-70mph
Partially Warm Engine? (Left the car for 30 minutes): 10.5 miles (57.6mpg), Normal mode, no heater usage, 65-70mph
During the beginning of our crazy snow storm (we got 17.5-18 inches). Warm car, ~10 mile drive home on thruway @ 40-45mph, 50.2mpg with heat on auto-68* and rear defrost. I was quite impressed that even with the reduced traction, as long as the battery is warm the car will do near EPA numbers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
During the beginning of our crazy snow storm (we got 17.5-18 inches). Warm car, ~10 mile drive home on thruway @ 40-45mph, 50.2mpg with heat on auto-68* and rear defrost. I was quite impressed that even with the reduced traction, as long as the battery is warm the car will do near EPA numbers.
Pretty good! Although 40-45mph is the very optimum speed right?

I finally got to try the Touring tires in the snow (Conti ProContact). I was actually surprised by the traction on 2 inch of untouched snow on a steep garage ramp. However the breaking is literally a disaster if there is anything more than a coating. Probably because of the silica. I know, I know, it's not a snow tire.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Was this with the Michelin A/S Energy Savers (EX), or did you install snow tires?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Was this with the Michelin A/S Energy Savers (EX), or did you install snow tires?
Still on the OEM tires, haven't purchased snow tires yet. Had a few issues in the sloppy wet mess that is today, but nothing a quick roll back and gain momentum couldn't over come. So far I'm impressed with these tires in the snow, managed to pull out the end of the driveway through 6-7 inches with absolutely no issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
I'm noticing the same thing where as long as the engine is warm and you drive steadily with proper tire psi. The car will get close to EPA numbers even in cold, windy, and slushy roads like my 5 mile drive last night below.

53mpgs, 5 miles, warm engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just switched over from winter tires to the OEM summer tires, and MPG jumped about 5 MPG on average. Temperature hit 60 yesterday, and on a 30 mile local drive, mostly 35-45 mph, hit 69 MPG!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts