Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017+ Accord Hybrid share the same i-MMD system with the 2019 Insight No? And it's a hair quicker than Insight for 0-60.

Is it because of the larger ICE? Or does it has a larger electric motor? If it's latter, cost and labor aside, why not swap the motor from Accord onto Insight?

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
2017+ Accord Hybrid share the same i-MMD system with the 2019 Insight No? And it's a hair quicker than Insight for 0-60.

Is it because of the larger ICE? Or does it has a larger electric motor? If it's latter, cost and labor aside, why not swap the motor from Accord onto Insight?
The Accord has the same type of system, but the ICE, battery pack and electric motors are different. The Accord also has four regen levels compared to the Insight's three. The downside is that the Accord is bigger and heavier.

I'm not sure swapping components between the two is possible. Even if it were, you'd surely void your warranty. If you could pull it off, your MPG numbers would drop. At that point, you'd realize you should have just gotten the Accord.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Who's up for swapping the Accord electric motor into an Insight? #HSPRS:cool:
While it sounds like a great idea, the Accord has a larger HV battery. If you had the Accord electric motor in an Insight, it would get you worse EV range, and much worse gas mileage overall. I'm sure if Honda could, they'd use the same electric motor across their entire line of hybrids to save costs.

·
Registered
642 Posts
While it sounds like a great idea, the Accord has a larger HV battery. If you had the Accord electric motor in an Insight, it would get you worse EV range, and much worse gas mileage overall. I'm sure if Honda could, they'd use the same electric motor across their entire line of hybrids to save costs.
The electric motor in the Accord is larger? I thought it was the the ICE engine that was larger and the rest was pretty much the same. hmmm:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
The electric motor in the Accord is larger? I thought it was the the ICE engine that was larger and the rest was pretty much the same. hmmm:unsure:
Not sure about physical dimension comparison, but looks like the powertrain capacity specs for the Accord Hybrid are higher than specs for the Insight on 3 fronts:

Accord HybridInsight
HV Battery1.3 kWh1.1 kWh
Gas Engine143 hp / 129 lb-ft
2.0L
107 hp / 99 lb-ft
1.5L
Electric Motor181 hp / 232 lb-ft129 hp / 197 lb-ft
[Combined HP212 hp151 hp]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, my remark was very much tongue in cheek. 😊 Along those lines, during my weaker moments on long climbs on interstates in West Virginia I have fantasized (sotto voce) that they combined the drivetrain from the Civic Si (or even a high-pressure, turbo-charged 2.0 litre) with the Insight's styling....

Honda struck the right balance with the Insight, and the mileage I get from the vehicle continues to blow my mind. It's improved with the warmer weather.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any electrical powertrain mod is pointless until you get at least a 10kw battery pack installed. I looked at getting a few cell packs from an accord hybrid to add in the trunk where the spare tire would go but honestly you'd need more capacity and I hadn't checked if the voltages are the same. Ideally a Tesla style cell module would be the best but I can't see adding hundreds of lbs of batteries being worth it unless you were able to ditch the ice engine completely...

One mod I still haven't dug into is getting a volt meter and having a constant measurement of the battery pack voltage...I think that'd be a fun mod so it's more accurate than the battery bars on the gauge cluster...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts