Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I was idling with the heat on, and I found out something that maybe will be of no surprise to some of you but I thought it was interesting.

The heater was set at 70°F with a constant fan speed set. When turning the knob down to 68°F, the engine shut off. So far so good. But then every degree above 70°F all the way to "Hi" revved the engine faster! So I was literally controlling the RPM of the engine with the temp knob.

It's surprising to me because I would have thought just the engine idling would be enough to reach at least cabin temperatures in the 70s. But apparently not. Or Honda really wants it to happen as fast as possible.

Now I'm wondering if it's also the case cruising on the highway, or if because the engine is revving higher already, the temperature doesn't have much effect. Does anybody know the operating temperature of this Atkinson buddy versus a good old friend Otto?

·
Registered
143 Posts
ECT hovered right around 180F when I monitored it with OBD with engine running and dropped fairly quickly when off while parked. A couple degrees every 5 seconds I recall

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Today I was idling with the heat on, and I found out something that maybe will be of no surprise to some of you but I thought it was interesting.

The heater was set at 70°F with a constant fan speed set. When turning the knob down to 68°F, the engine shut off. So far so good. But then every degree above 70°F all the way to "Hi" revved the engine faster! So I was literally controlling the RPM of the engine with the temp knob.

It's surprising to me because I would have thought just the engine idling would be enough to reach at least cabin temperatures in the 70s. But apparently not. Or Honda really wants it to happen as fast as possible.
I was in heavy traffic last night so passive heating wasn't cutting it to keep the windows fog-free. I had to turn the climate control on to clear the windshield. The climate control was on 'HI' (to maximize passive heat) so started the gas engine with a much louder rev/jolt than I had ever recalled. But the window certainly cleared very fast (seconds).

So I think I replicated what you described, and must have put the car into immediate high RPM when I turned on the climate control. It doesn't seem like a 'healthy' condition to immediately put the engine in when first started, so I'll plan to turn the temperature control down if/when I need so use while in slow/idle speeds next time...

·
Registered
554 Posts

I was in heavy traffic last night so passive heating wasn't cutting it to keep the windows fog-free. I had to turn the climate control on to clear the windshield. The climate control was on 'HI' (to maximize passive heat) so started the gas engine with a much louder rev/jolt than I had ever recalled. But the window certainly cleared very fast (seconds).

So I think I replicated what you described, and must have put the car into immediate high RPM when I turned on the climate control. It doesn't seem like a 'healthy' condition to immediately put the engine in when first started, so I'll plan to turn the temperature control down if/when I need so use while in slow/idle speeds next time...
Strange. I have had to do the same thing many times over and the only thing that happens is the engine turning on. No higher than normal revving. 🤔

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Strange. I have had to do the same thing many times over and the only thing that happens is the engine turning on. No higher than normal revving. 🤔
I wonder if it relates to HV battery SOC? My battery level was low-ish (<4 bars) at the time.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wonder if it relates to HV battery SOC? My battery level was low-ish (<4 bars) at the time.
Same here. I run in econ mode and only under odd circumstances does my bar reading go above 4.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Same here. I run in econ mode and only under odd circumstances does my bar reading go above 4.
I primarily use Econ mode as well, but get hi/lo variations in HV battery level due to rolling terrain. While in traffic, the engine seemed to work more 'aggressively' when battery level was low. A little hard to tell though, since I infrequently use the climate control this season. Maybe it's we're experiencing the same at <4 bars, but it's less noticeable if used to the HV battery always being <4 bars (?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts