Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CyberTruck - Tesla's first electric pickup truck - was revealed this week in Los Angeles. It will come in three versions with 250 miles, 300 miles, and 500 miles of range, and will start at $39,900. Initial production won't occur until late 2021, but pre-orders are being accepted.
- Single motor rear-wheel drive | 250 mi range | 7,500-lb towing | 0–60 mph in <6.5 seconds ==> $39,900
- Dual motor all-wheel drive | 300 mi range | 10,000-lb towing | 0–60 mph in <4.5 seconds ==> $49,900
- Triple motor all-wheel drive | 500 mi range | 14,000-lb towing | 0–60 mph in <2.9 seconds ==> $69,900 (late 2022)

The CyberTruck is rugged, but its 'shatterproof' armored glass was defeated by a metal ball thrown at close range during the demo reveal. The overall design isn't my cup-of-tea, but I'm guessing this will be popular among SUV/truck owners looking for electric alternatives (?).

CNN - https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/22/cars/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-truck/index.html
CNET - https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-cybertruck-unveiled-elon-musk-electric-pickup-truck/
BUSINESS INSIDER - https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-cybertruck-pickup-trucks-coolest-features-2019-11#12-an-electric-atv-the-cyberquad-was-also-announced-at-the-cybertrucks-unveiling-and-will-be-available-only-as-a-cybertruck-option-ceo-elon-musk-said-14

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
if it ever materializes as something that can be purchased, it will likely look quite a bit different.

i have doubts about electric pick-ups with regards to them ever really being able to eek out any range moving payloads or towing.

something along the lines of an electric Ridgeline is where all these concepts need to be in order for them to be universally accepted. but i realize that gnarly tires, 42" fording lines, and shotty bullet-proof glass are what it takes to sell tickets for a spot to wait in line for an electric pick-up these days.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Payload data is pending for the Tesla CyberTruck and Rivian R1T, but the quoted towing capacity for the CyberTruck slightly exceeds that of the Ford F-150 (attached). But as you mention, we'll have to wait and see how actual production model delivers...

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's ugly ! No lines or curves. Very STERILE looking. Like something I drew up when I was 10 years old. lol

It's all that and more...but regular truck owner's know that the Tesla TRUCK is a MORE CAPABLE Truck....lololol.

ie...
Lamborghini's and Ferraris are ugly, but would you rather drive a Chevy Corvette?...hahahahaha.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honestly the Design is just hideous, and I suspect that it will die off as a concept design. Sure the specs are amazing, especially it's off-road specs, but we have to look at the demographic. ESPECIALLY with the interior. I'm sorry but a truck is supposed to be rugged. I don't want to climb in after working on a job site, coated in concrete dust, and then be forced to use touchscreen controls, that's just a recipe for disaster.

Tesla could use a lesson from the FJ cruiser, in terms of physical interior controls, I just hope they do something because as it is, this concept is just a walking multiple personality disorder. Rugged exterior (almost like a swat vehicle), and minimalist interior. It has no identity at all. I hate saying this, but the F-150 or Rivian would be my choice as far as looks, not that Tesla's cars are the prettiest ever made, but this "Truck" design is comical at best. I really though Elon was punking us when I first saw it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There are actually people out their thinking that the CyberTruck is actually going to be the basis for the Space X human-martian vehicle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's more advanced and more capable then OUR Honda Insights....id take that tesla any day...☝😂

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's more advanced and more capable then OUR Honda Insights....id take that tesla any day...☝😂
The cybertruck is revolutionary. I will be a rock star rolling around in one.

I own a Tesla and an Insight. The Insight while has an excellent drive train, it's a severely compromised car that just takes pieces from the honda corporate parts bin for ICE cars rather than really advancing cars and thinking about how to design cars such that they are easier to operate and more fun and how to take advantage of electric drive train.

Having driven the Tesla for 5 months now and putting 16k miles on it, my Model 3 is superior to the Insight in almost every way except for range anxiety and cost and having an actual glovebox handle.

It is by the most cumbersome Honda I have ever driven, while the Model 3 is the simplest yet most advanced car I have ever driven. Honda should be reducing complexity not increasing it.

Example, Why do I have to power off the Insight before walking away hitting lock on the key fob? It's pointless as the car doesn't require a physical key for the ignition circuit? Parking brake on, shutting off the car and locking could be handled with a single button press from the key fob but it's not simply because they have to keep doing the same thing they have done for decades while Tesla has rethought the process.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The real question is will they make a snowplow or snowblower attachment, and how much range am I going to lose?

It's too bad they don't make an extended in bed battery pack for more range. That'd be nice to see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts