Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New for the 2020 model year is an updated Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) that functions whenever the car is operating at low speeds on electric power only (unless in Park), enhancing awareness for pedestrians, bicyclists and other road users.
https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-404511060115046b21b09e342d0045d1-2020-honda-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-delivers-premium-driving-experience-with-excellent-driving-range-and-fuel-economy-ratings

Nothing really new except for the pedestrian warning system being added similar to the 2020 Accord Hybrid.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm less surprised that there's a new Clarity model year, but will be more surprised if Honda chooses to reverse its decision and sell it nationwide (without a premium outside of California) rather than their 'California only' focus. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/32-ev-lounge/3262-honda-clarity-california-inventory-focus-only.html
I bet the dealerships don't want this car rather than Honda not wanting to offer it. If you check the Clarity forum most of them only visit the dealership once a year for an oil change due to time. A dealership doesn't want to sell a car that only comes in for an oil change once a year. The Clarity is an interesting car and I think it's the only made in Japan Honda you can buy in the US left. The Insight might be keeping it alive since it shares the 1.5-liter Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine with the Clarity.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I bet the dealerships don't want this car rather than Honda not wanting to offer it. If you check the Clarity forum most of them only visit the dealership once a year for an oil change due to time. A dealership doesn't want to sell a car that only comes in for an oil change once a year. The Clarity is an interesting car and I think it's the only made in Japan Honda you can buy in the US left. The Insight might be keeping it alive since it shares the 1.5-liter Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine with the Clarity.
I don't think dealerships have a choice. If Honda says 'sell' something, dealers need to do it... and the highest volume dealerships get favored for inventory that Honda pushes out.

The Honda CEO himself doesn't see EVs as a strategic choice, rather a 'must do' for compliance reasons. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/30808-post6.html

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think dealerships have a choice. If Honda says 'sell' something, dealers need to do it... and the highest volume dealerships get favored for inventory that Honda pushes out.

The Honda CEO himself doesn't see EVs as a strategic choice, rather a 'must do' for compliance reasons. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/30808-post6.html
I understand they have to accept the inventory they get but they do have the power to influence which vehicle succeeds and fails. They can leave little room to negotiate the price, promote another vehicle when a potential customer ask about it, or neglect the vehicle so it doesn't perform as well during a test drive (ie: low battery).

I think the Honda CEO is just saying this publicly but already have plans in place to introduce Hybrids/EVs quickly if the need arise. The original transition for Europe was to be completed by 2025 and now it's 2022.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I understand they have to accept the inventory they get but they do have the power to influence which vehicle succeeds and fails. They can leave little room to negotiate the price, promote another vehicle when a potential customer ask about it, or neglect the vehicle so it doesn't perform as well during a test drive (ie: low battery).
Agree... but I think the 'higher powers' at Honda determine what to make, push to dealers as inventory, and set the sales targets that drive the dealer actions. Dealers can control the 'knobs' at their disposal, but ultimately work toward the numbers that Honda wants to prioritize.

All dealers seemingly deprioritize the Clarity and Insight, for example. Even if one dealer wanted to make it the main car they sold, they wouldn't have enough inventory on it since Honda limits the production. The Honda sales 'machine' is all linked together...

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree... but I think the 'higher powers' at Honda determine what to make, push to dealers as inventory, and set the sales targets that drive the dealer actions. Dealers can control the 'knobs' at their disposal, but ultimately work toward the numbers that Honda wants to prioritize.

All dealers seemingly deprioritize the Clarity and Insight, for example. Even if one dealer wanted to make it the main car they sold, they wouldn't have enough inventory on it since Honda limits the production. The Honda sales 'machine' is all linked together...
Going to be interesting to watch if they promote the CRV Hybrid. If they follow the same path as the Insight/Accord Hybrid/Clarity then we will know that they don't want to prioritize electrification.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts