Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2020 Honda Insight EX last September and have been wanting to do some cosmetic upgrades internally and externally, but wanted to get past the holidays and save up some money before starting. I'm going to be doing the upgrades in two batches. First the interior, and then the exterior. I've got the parts for the interior portion and will hopefully (weather permitting) be doing the install this weekend. I've downloaded and studied the install instructions from the College Hills Honda website and I feel pretty confident there shouldn't be any issues. All the harnesses for the upgrades have connectors (and extenders) that plug into the 6-pin expansion port under the interior fuse panel.

2020 Honda Insight EX - Crimson Pearl Exterior - Ivory Cloth Interior

Phase 1 - Interior

I actually started some simple modifications shortly after I purchased the vehicle. I replaced all incandescent bulbs with LED as many posters on this forum had done. Rear turn signals, backup lights, trunk light, and interior dome/map/vanity lights. Those were the easy ones. Upcoming mods will be:

Armrest / Armrest Illumination

I ordered all of my parts from hondapartsnetwork.com. For those who are curious, there are two part numbers for this.
  • 08E16-TXM-100 Illumination Kit
  • 08U89-TXM-110 Black Armrests (08U89-TXM-120 for brown)
The illumination kit only comes with the lights/harness, not the armrests themselves. Those must be ordered separately. These are actually a higher profile than the stock ivory cloth armrests. I chose black to match the other interior molding. I think it's going to look nice. I'll post before and after photos.

Door Sill Trim, Illuminated

• 08E12-TXM-100
This was done by Verdier (and maybe others?). I think these look cool and add some pizzazz.

Interior Illumination, Foot-Well

This is where the fun begins. Verdier gives a great review on this here:

He ended up not liking the final result and went with a different solution from Stinger which I believe taps into the fuse panel. I'm taking a different approach. I ordered two of these: Oznium Brightest Light Bolt (Blue)

My plan is to not tap them into the fuse panel, but use the existing harness that comes with the Honda kit. Through the parts network, I only ordered the harness. It was part number 08E10-TXM-10030. Tapping into the harness has its pros and cons. I will go into further detail in another post.

Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket

The last thing I want to add to the interior is a USB socket for the back seat. I'll be mimicking what Verdier did here: USB Install

I ordered this part: Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket

Phase 2 - Exterior

I'll probably start this phase next month after I've saved a bit more money. Exterior parts, especially underbody spoilers can get crazy expensive, so I'm not going to overly embellish here (sorry Verdier, but I don't care for the look of the rear spoiler). There are a couple of pieces I'm not 100% sure on yet, but I have some time to decide. I may or may not get some new wheels in the semi-distant future, but I don't know yet.

This pic shows the three main add-ons I intend to do:

Door Trim, Lower
  • 08F57-TXM-100
Bumper Accent, Front
  • 08F23-TXM-100
Grille Accent, Black
  • 08F21-TXM-100A
Exterior Lighting, Welcome Under-Body (Puddle Lights)
  • 08V27-TXM-100
After considering both the cost and the hassle of install, I think I'm going to forgo putting in the puddle lights for now. Perhaps later down the road, I might reconsider.

This pic shows optional add-ons which are in the rear of the vehicle:

Based on this thread and other sources, the Touring's chrome garnish will fit on the EX. I was considering coupling that with the chrome trunk garnish. I think it looks kind of cool, but I need to think about it some more as I don't know how it would clash with the black I'm putting on the sides and front.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to elaborate a little more on what I mentioned above regarding the foot-well lighting. The harness that comes with the Honda foot-well lighting kit has several connectors on it.

On the far left is the connector that goes into the expansion port under the fuse box. It has 6 pins. It piggies off of that a female connector that allows you to connect another lighting harness for further expansion. There are also two fuses on the harness (so you don't have to tap into the fuse box). In the middle is another connector that basically piggybacks off of the 12-pin connector going to the climate control console. Lastly are the connectors that go into the lights themselves. These are 4-pin connectors.

With the help of the vehicle's electrical diagram (which I paid for a day's access from Honda) and the harness's fuse labels, I determined that the four pins on the light connectors represent power from the battery and also from the illumination circuit. Using a multimeter, I also determined that the power from the battery operates on the same circuit as the interior dome light. The illumination pins operate with everything else in the interior that comes on when the headlights are turned on and can be dimmed with the rheostat on the left side of the dash.

Essentially the four pins to the lights are B+, B-, Illumi+, Illumi-. B+, B-, and Illumi+ come from the 6-pin connector under the fuse box. Illumi-, however, comes from the 12-pin connector at the climate control unit.

The lights look something like this:

The LED is on the top and the 4-pin connector on the right. Why is it so bulky? I can only surmise that for the LED to work with both the battery circuit and the illumination circuit there would have to be some sort of protection that isolates the two (maybe diodes?). Since the illumination side has varying voltages, the potential difference would vary and could cause weird things to happen. This is all speculation unless I had one to break open and look inside. So to be safe, it comes down to choosing which circuit I want to splice into. I'm choosing illumination because I only want the lights to come on with the headlights. There's no need for them to come on when the door is open or the alarm is disarmed. They are blue and would be hard to see with my bright white dome light anyway.

Choosing this solution over just tapping LEDs into the fuse box allows me to put the LEDs on the illumination circuit and dim them along with the other interior lights at night without the need for a second control source.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Armrest / Armrest Illumination
I ordered all of my parts from hondapartsnetwork.com. For those who are curious, there are two part numbers for this.
  • 08E16-TXM-100 Illumination Kit
  • 08U89-TXM-110 Black Armrests (08U89-TXM-120 for brown)
The illumination kit only comes with the lights/harness, not the armrests themselves. Those must be ordered separately. These are actually a higher profile than the stock ivory cloth armrests. I chose black to match the other interior molding. I think it's going to look nice. I'll post before and after photos.
Would you mind sharing picture of the two part kits before installing? I've wondered is what's supplied with the (optional) illumination kit upgrade versus the OEM armrest parts. Do both part kits include the side pieces, and you discard the OEM ones to install the lighted ones? Or is the armrest part number 'literally' just the top armrest piece? The way these are listed and pictured on Honda parts sites makes it confusing as to what's included.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Would you mind sharing picture of the two part kits before installing? I've wondered is what's supplied with the (optional) illumination kit upgrade versus the OEM armrest parts. Do both part kits include the side pieces, and you discard the OEM ones to install the lighted ones? Or is the armrest part number 'literally' just the top armrest piece? The way these are listed and pictured on Honda parts sites makes it confusing as to what's included.
Here is what came in the Illumination Kit box (08E16-TXM-100):

No armrests came in that kit (nor did instruction come with anything either). What's weird is that the instructions on College Hills Honda elude to there being armrests in the kit:

That part number (08U89-TXM-100) doesn't exist. If you google search for it you only find 110 and 120 variants.

Here is literally everything that came in the armrest box (08U89-TXM-110):

I haven't done the install yet (just took these pics 5 minutes ago), but I did go out to the car and compare the OEM armrests with these. The originals do not have the notch on the side rests like these do for the lights to go. These armrests also have a higher profile. You'll see the difference when I post before and after shots.

I knew to purchase both because the site I bought them from stated I needed both:

Reading through the thread you linked to makes me want to also replace the cloth armrests on all the doors with the Touring leather. :unsure:

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Here is what came in the Illumination Kit box (08E16-TXM-100):

No armrests came in that kit (nor did instruction come with anything either). What's weird is that the instructions on College Hills Honda elude to there being armrests in the kit:

That part number (08U89-TXM-100) doesn't exist. If you google search for it you only find 110 and 120 variants.

Here is literally everything that came in the armrest box (08U89-TXM-110):

I haven't done the install yet (just took these pics 5 minutes ago), but I did go out to the car and compare the OEM armrests with these. The originals do not have the notch on the side rests like these do for the lights to go. These armrests also have a higher profile. You'll see the difference when I post before and after shots.
Thanks, helpful detail. Net, to upgrade the LX/EX cloth armrest (including side pieces), one would need to also invest in the illumination kit (since the leather side pieces include notch for lighting) OR settle for upgrading just the top armrest surface (with side pieces staying cloth).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had hoped to finish today, but I wanted to take my time so I didn't damage anything and taking out the center console was time-consuming. I did get the armrest lights in, but will finish the door sill and foot-well lights tomorrow.

I will give you a sneak peek at a picture I took at a point where I was literally saying to myself "what have I done???"

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hope you remember the order everything came apart. It is a bear putting it back together and taking it back apart because the trim pieces have to go in a specific order.

Also you should just yank the center vent while you are there and fix it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, helpful detail. Net, to upgrade the LX/EX cloth armrest (including side pieces), one would need to also invest in the illumination kit (since the leather side pieces include notch for lighting) OR settle for upgrading just the top armrest surface (with side pieces staying cloth).
The armrests I bought I believe are made for doing the illumination kit upgrade. They are definitely a higher profile than the stock ones, so if you just got the center armrest (the one that opens up) it would be much taller than the side pieces. If you were looking to just upgrade to leather without illumination it might be better to just buy the Touring armrests in the same color as your existing interior. Based on videos of the Touring I've seen they look to be the same size.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you remember the order everything came apart. It is a bear putting it back together and taking it back apart because the trim pieces have to go in a specific order.

Also you should just yank the center vent while you are there and fix it.
What's nice about Honda's instructions are that they tell you where every clip, screw, and bolt is on every piece, so I just work my way backward through the instructions and make sure I don't miss anything.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sharing a link to @WorldThatHeSees observations and adjustments for center vent rattle, if you end up checking it out while the front dash is disassembled - Rattle from vents
Thanks, but either I'm really lucky or super unobservant because I've never noticed a rattle in any of my vents. With that being the case I will most likely not take apart anything I don't have to beyond my current upgrades.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finished my first phase of upgrades yesterday and so far so good. I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked during the installation because it was taking a while and I really wanted to get it done this weekend.

Since I was doing three sets of lights I had to wire up three harnesses to the expansion ports near the fuse box. Only the armrest lights and foot-well lights needed to tie to the climate control connector. The door sill lights did not but still had to pass through behind the infotainment system.

This shot is before I took out the center console. The shifter is one big piece that sits on top of the 12v battery. The piece with the ECON/SPORT/EV buttons just pops right off and you disconnect the white connector toward the bottom. Then you remove the USB charger plate (you can see the two USB connectors dangling there) and 3 bolts hold the shifter piece. The shifter had two additional connectors. The shop rag is keeping the negative connector from touching the terminal.

Once that is out it is just 4 bolts to remove the center console.

Sadly I didn't get any more pics after that. The door sill pieces were a lot easier to install than I thought they would be. For the armrest lights, I had to cut a notch out of each side of the console under where the side armrests sit. That was kinda scary but turned out okay. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a corded Dremel because my cordless one couldn't cut it (pun intended).

For the rear USB charger, I ran one line for positive to the fuse box where I tapped into the ACC fuse using a fuse tap. The negative I run to a bolt under the dash just to the right of the battery. It was a bolt that already had several ground connections connected to it, so I knew it was good.

Here is the door-sill light (was hard to get a good exposure):

By request of @insightfully, here is the comparison of the old vs. new armrests:

You can see what I meant about the taller profile. Here is the foot-well lights:

And finally, the USB charger:

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Impressive weekend transformation. The finished product looks great. The taller armrest looks good and almost a more 'natural' flow from the black gear selector area.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
719 Posts
Impressive weekend transformation. The finished product looks great. The taller armrest looks good and almost a more 'natural' flow from the black gear selector area.
What footwell lights did you use? I see they're purple so I figure you either colored them or you went aftermarket.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put these guys on today.

I also received my exterior trim pieces, but I want to wait until it gets warmer as the instructions state it should be over 60°F for the adhesive to properly set.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welp, I got most of my external trim pieces on. I've decided I don't want to go through the trouble of taking my front bumper off to put on the bumper trims, so I'm just going to wait until the next time I go into the dealership for maintenance and just have them do it for me. I did commit a bit of a fubar though on putting my side trims on........I put the templates in the wrong spot and now the trims are higher than where there were meant to be. It doesn't look terrible and most people won't notice it, but I just hate messing up, especially when it's an expensive mess up. I can live with it for now, but I may later down the road have them professionally removed and have to either keep them off or pay for replacements and have them put on correctly.

Other than that I'm still waiting on my door handles and I threw in a couple of shots of some add-ons in the interior. The Topdall trims on the speakers, power button, and A/C knobs, and a steering wheel cover that has nice red threading to match the other trims.

Oh...almost forgot, I also put on Honda caps on my new wheels.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd been adding some stuff to the What Did You Do To Your 2019 Honda Insight Today? thread and figured I should add them here for continuity and search ease.

This past weekend I removed the side trim on my doors. In what I thought was going to be a several-hour journey, it turns out that they pulled right off fairly easily. Also, about 3 weekends ago I put on my new black door handles.

On the interior, I purchased these: CupHolderHero for Honda Insight Accessories 2019-2021

Essentially, all I have left is to put on the bumper trim (that goes around the fog light grills), but as I mentioned above will probably have the dealer do that. Once complete I'll throw together a YouTube video showcasing all the completed work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts