Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read that it makes a droning noise while going up hills but I couldn't find any videos on youtube to hear it for myself so I went to a dealership and test drove a 2022 EX Insight. Here is the video
The video is shaky, I'm sorry, but the sound is more important anyway.

There's not a lot of hills near the dealership so I found the best one closest to it. It's a 100ft rise in elevation over 0.2 miles near a neighborhood. I tried going as fast as I can but it didn't take very long to reach the top and I had to slow down for the turn.

The sound isn't really as bad as people make it out to be. I know it can get louder than what you hear in the video but I still wouldn't mind. I've heard louder in older honda 2000's civics and I don't even mind that. It's not that bad. I think it's natural. I can only imagine that the people complaining about it are used to more powerful vehicles or they're critics/complainers. Or maybe I'm used to the noise.

I filmed this with the youtube app so if you're insight gets louder, I'd like to hear it. I only made the effort because I was thinking about getting it as my first car but not in the near future because of circumstances. This was one of the two concerns I had for the car but then I found out it's nothing to worry about.

The only other concern I have is if the maintenance cost is higher for it being a hybrid.

·
Registered
452 Posts
So I read that it makes a droning noise while going up hills but I couldn't find any videos on youtube to hear it for myself so I went to a dealership and test drove a 2022 EX Insight. Here is the video

There's not a lot of hills near the dealership so I found the best one closest to it. It's a 100ft rise in elevation over 0.2 miles near a neighborhood. I tried going as fast as I can but it didn't take very long to reach the top and I had to slow down for the turn.

The sound isn't really as bad as people make it out to be. I know it can get louder than what you hear in the video but I still wouldn't mind. I've heard louder in older honda 2000's civics and I don't even mind that. It's not that bad. I think it's natural. I can only imagine that the people complaining about it are used to more powerful vehicles or they're critics/complainers. Or maybe I'm used to the noise.

I filmed this with the youtube app so if you're insight gets louder, I'd like to hear it. I only made the effort because I was thinking about getting it as my first car but not in the near future because of circumstances. This was one of the two concerns I had for the car but then I found out it's nothing to worry about.

The only other concern I have is if the maintenance cost is higher for it being a hybrid.
I've had mine for 70,000 miles, bought it brand new in January 2019.. No issues except dealer inflicted ones, door rattles after window tinting >fixed myself<, gas smell/low mpg after recall >fixed<, car has been great otherwise..

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
Your findings pretty-much match up with my experience with owning two Insights now (2019 & 2021). While the engine noise isn't obscenely loud, most new owners find the fact the engine revs don't correspond to throttle input to be the biggest annoyance to get used to. Truthfully, it took me a couple weeks, and now it's totally normal.

With respect to maintenance, expect it to be lower. Brakes last longer. Oil changes are not as frequent. It's a NEW car under warranty if something goes wrong. The HV battery is warrantied for at least 8 years. I have only needed routine maintenance and have had zero issues during three years of owning two Insight. I passed my 2019 down to my son because I trust the car to get him where he needs to go. The awesome safety ratings of the Insight also helped in the passing-down decision.

If you're looking into an EX, that's the sweet spot as far as bang-for-the-buck. It has better MPGs than the Touring with all the bells and whistles you need and none that you don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't even notice it. In fact, I find interior quieter than what most of my friends drive. Maybe ANC.
One day I was driving on highway around 85-90 mph. A cop breezed by and I told my friend who was sitting next to me how fortunate we were that the cop didn't stop us. My friend thought we were coasting at 60-65mph. In his defence he drives 2015 car.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Well, it's difficult to gauge how loud the engine gets based on a YouTube video because we are all probably using different speakers and have the volume set at different levels. To me, the engine noise in your video sounded louder than what I have experienced in my EX. For me, the engine noise (drone) only becomes annoying at certain RPM, unfortunately the car does not come with a tachometer. I find that at around 75MPH, I get a very annoying, low tone, reverberation from the back. If I drive a little slower or a little faster, it seems to disappear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The maintenance costs should be lower than expected, if anything. I'm at almost 50k miles and I've done 4 oil changes, but I've never waited for the digital gauge to trigger. Brake fluid was checked last week and they said it was almost like new. I just got some new trans fluid which should be here in a couple days but I don't expect it to be in dire need of replacing. I'm basically forcing myself to do the regular things just out of habit.

One issue I have is that there's a very high pitched whistle when I have the windows up in the winter. Except for the cold days, I have the windows down, or it's raining and the sound is so faint that I can't hear it anyway. My GF claims she can't hear it at all.

The sensory array is randomly cutting out and coming back online. I bottomed out the car a couple times in the first couple years and that required a trip to the dealer each time but now that the warranty is expired I've never cared enough to pay the $100+ it would cost to fix it. I just had the alignment done a couple days ago and the shop said they couldn't figure out a way to adjust the rear right wheel so I'll be heading back to the dealership anyway and I'll probably have them do a full inspection when I do. Hopefully the sensors will be an easy fix.

Overall, it's been a great car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
@Johnny - what do you mean by "sensory array?"

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
@Johnny - what do you mean by "sensory array?"
He could be referring to the radar if he bottomed out his car a few times.

Once a year oil change(low mileage driver here), cabin filter change, tire rotation/balancing, and new wiper blades. That's been pretty much it for me and the brake fluid change on my 3rd year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The engine noise is coming from the speakers is annoying. I'm not sure if it's Active Sound Control or something else. The Civic has the ASC so I assume the Insight does too.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
The engine noise is coming from the speakers is annoying. I'm not sure if it's Active Sound Control or something else. The Civic has the ASC so I assume the Insight does too.
Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC)
Key contributors to Insight's quiet, refined interior are Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC). The two systems are comprised of dual overhead microphones, an ANC/ASC electronic processor, and the audio system's speakers. ASC/ANC operates whenever Insight is running, even if the audio system is turned off.

ANC is designed to reduce low frequency sound in the cabin caused mainly by the roughness of the road surface. The overhead microphones pick up sound waves and send them to the ANC/ASC processor, which then creates and sends a precisely timed "reverse phase" audio signal to a special amplifier. In turn, the amplifier drives the speakers to cancel the original noise signal.

ASC is a related technology designed to improve the engine sound quality by making the sound pressure level more linear as the engine revs increase. Typically, engine noise doesn't increase in a linear way with rising revs; instead there can be many resonances that create peaks and valleys in the sound pressure level and an uneven sound. From idle to redline, ASC helps smooth out the engine sound by reforming the sound signal as needed and sending it to the speakers. In SPORT mode, ASC provides Insight with a more dynamic engine sound profile.

Insight has ANC and ASC. You should only notice engine noise from the ASC in sport mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts